Rear seat delete is finished!

AMD[H]unter

Banned
Hey guys, I finished the RSD today, and I took pics along the way. It wasn't all that hard, but getting my templates right was the hardest part, but since I have them now, I can duplicate mine easily. The only supplies needed were the carpet and the plywood. I used 1/2" plywood, but I could have gone with 1/4". It's ok with me though because the whole shebang does weigh less than the seat anyway. Here's the pics of most of the process:

After creating my template and tweaking it (background piece), I am sanding the edges of the plywood:
IMG_3725.JPG

Here's a closeup of the curve to get around the armrest that's molded in the interior. I was still smoothing it out when I snapped this pic:
IMG_3726.JPG

Another shot of the template and work area. Tablesaw FTMFW!:
IMG_3727.JPG

Another shot:
IMG_3728.JPG

Sanding the edges down:
IMG_3733.JPG

First test fit of the seat part:
IMG_3735.JPG

Another view:
IMG_3736.JPG

Drilled two holes for these studs to come through. I use the rear one to fasten the piece down. You'll see that later:
IMG_3737.JPG

After cutting the carpet so it would fit around the wood, use the spray adhesive and slap it on:
IMG_3738.JPG

After folding the edges of the carpet over and stapling them, we did another test fit....perfect!:
IMG_3739.JPG

After poking holes in the carpet to let those studs come thru, I put the nut on the rear stud to hold down the seat section. Also, the test fit of the back section with the headrest in place:
IMG_3743.JPG

Another view from the driver side:
IMG_3744.JPG

After covering the back section, test fit it in....perfect again!:
IMG_3746.JPG

All done except for the bolts holding the back in. They use the same holes that the seatbacks bolted to the car at:
IMG_3747.JPG

Here I am tightening the bolts at the top of the back: (not and easy task getting in and out of the trunk without scratching stuff.)
IMG_3748.JPG

And we are done! I still need to clean the headrest and figure out a way to make it sit down just like it was before. It's not too bad, though, and I am considering just taking it out, but I think it looks cleaner with it in:
IMG_3749.JPG

Another shot of the completed project:
IMG_3750.JPG

Another shot. Notice the nut holding the seat in:
IMG_3751.JPG

Oh, and yes, I vacuumed the car out afterwards, but no pics of it clean yet. I may get some tomorrow.

Black306

Established Member
You could remove the headrest entirely. This was the RSD kit first made for my '00 GT.

rsd.jpg

I then transfered it to my '03 Cobra.

rsd.jpg

One of the more important aspects I like about my RSD is that there are no visible fasteners. I used the plastic pop rivets hidden under the carpet. Also, the carpet material is a dead match to the material found in the trunk. Here is a shot from the trunk.

rsd3.jpg

The backing is made out of light weight wood veneer and is made with an angled lip at the top to conceal metal exposed by removing the head rest.

The sides of the bottom piece have a ~1/4" layer of cushion under the carpet so that the carpet material is actually pressing up to the interior body panels.

rsd2.jpg

rsd1.jpg

MVD

Established Member
Nice work, but why use 3/4" plywood?? To me the point of an RSD is to loose weight. Why not use some 3/16" composite board....it is probably cheaper too. Just a thought.

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
Looks great. I have thought about doing the rear seat delete but honestly I love my interior (Anniversary Red Interior) too much to get rid of my back seat. It's too much of the cars personality. I like the work you have done though.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You know what? That is one nice/professional job. Well done! :thumbsup:

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
Nice work, but why use 3/4" plywood?? To me the point of an RSD is to loose weight. Why not use some 3/16" composite board....it is probably cheaper too. Just a thought.

good point.

it does look GREAT! however im not doing anythhing wood for mine, im using a 3/4 in. thick FOAM construction pad.

even with carpet, the whole thing will weigh maybe 7 -10 lbs.

this is great to help me lay the carpet though, thanks!:banana:

( i know, im nuts for using foam...but im trying to make this terminator as light as possible without sacraficing the driveablity and nice interior feel.)

this plus some lightweight seats and no spare tire, Carbon fiber hood, and eventually a teskid block and tubular K member....:rockon: i cant wait!

AMD[H]unter

Banned
Thanks for all the kind words, fellows!

very nice! how much in supplies would you say this project ran you?

The wood was 20 bucks, and I got the carpet for free, and I had all the other tools and supplies. So, basically 20 bucks and about 4 hours.

Looks good. How long did it take you?

About 4 hours, working steady and bs'ing alot with my buddy that was helping. Most of that time was getting the templates right.

Hunter...great job.....

Thanks Cullen!

I used 1/2" plywood. ;-) Hindsight's 20/20, but I figure that I could have used 1/4" and still been able to put stuff on it.

Looks great. I have thought about doing the rear seat delete but honestly I love my interior (Anniversary Red Interior) too much to get rid of my back seat. It's too much of the cars personality. I like the work you have done though.

Thanks man! Personally, if my car was a 10th, I wouldn't do a RSD. 10th interiors are hawt! :rockon:

Another great looking project Hunter.:rockon:

Thanks, Brian! Now you need to get one done for your vert....or do you already have one?

Great job and you saved some change by doing it yourself. Now its time to sell the patterns to recoup your time and expenses.

Thanks man...that's the plan!

Yep, nice job Hunter. Looks good! :beer:

Thanks man!

You know what? That is one nice/professional job. Well done! :thumbsup:

Thanks Bob!

good point.

it does look GREAT! however im not doing anythhing wood for mine, im using a 3/4 in. thick FOAM construction pad.

even with carpet, the whole thing will weigh maybe 7 -10 lbs.

this is great to help me lay the carpet though, thanks!:banana:

( i know, im nuts for using foam...but im trying to make this terminator as light as possible without sacraficing the driveablity and nice interior feel.)

this plus some lightweight seats and no spare tire, Carbon fiber hood, and eventually a teskid block and tubular K member....:rockon: i cant wait!

LOL, yeah, you may be nuts! I just needed it pretty sturdy to be able to set stuff on it, and later on bolt a bottle to it. Good luck on your project!

Take rear seatbelts out. :rockon:

Yep...they are coming out very soon. I just ran out of energy, light and time yesterday.

03cobramanIII

Banned
nice job.i never carry more than 1 person ,but i like the look of the back seat , it makes it look like youre not trying to lose weigh, i need all the traction a an get now. the vert rear top seat part isnot that heavy, cause the seats dont fold down

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
yah see i just want a crazy blower car. no nitrous for me. if i want to later on maybe slide some wood under that, but right now for me every lb. counts.!

03cobrarocks

Established Member
yah see i just want a crazy blower car. no nitrous for me. if i want to later on maybe slide some wood under that, but right now for me every lb. counts.!

X1000 im in the same boat as you that I am trying to get rid of every pound possible!

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member

You can use red carpet inserts. Ok I am not serious. I feel the same way about my anniversary interior.

Great job on the RSD project!!!

Users who are viewing this thread