recommendations on my read end

calgarybandit

Established Member
I am building my block right away and throwing in Circle D input shaft and Excedy clutch packs. Target goal is 850-950 RWHP is there anything I should upgrade on my diff?

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
One shop I talked to basically recommended a mini spool setup for the rear end costs around 800$ but its a strong option.

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
For some people that don't know what a spool is explain please benefits and street driving with spool thanks

Well a mini spool replaces the spider gears for the rear end with a solid setup but problem is its more suited for drag use. It can be driven on the street but its a lot harder on the axles. Actually after looking into further with a buddy of mine the mini spool isn't the best option.

I plan on welding the axle tubes and running the stock rear for a bit but when the time comes will look into LSD or locker style setups (trutrac , detroit locker etc)

86merc

Established Member
real spool > mini spool. A real spool is way cheaper and going to be stronger. But not sure what the intended use of the car is. A spool is hard to make tight turns. Like into a parking space and what not. Not sure most people would want a spool in their daily driven cars.

Shaun@AED

At this power level for a Street / Strip setup we run a Spool, weld the axle tubes to the diff housing and install a Girdle. Typically 31 spline factory axles are good for mid/high 9's without any real issue, but you can also upgrade to 33 spline axles while you are in there.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Spools are hell on tires in normal driving, and heaven forbid you get caught out in some weather with one.

Shaun@AED

I really didn't mind the spool on the spool on the street aside from pushing the car while turning or doing a U-turn.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
After having two built Toyota crawlers I will never run a spool on the street again, one of the most annoying things to drive around with. I think a Detroit locker or a Spartan mini locker would be the two options I would look into.

Users who are viewing this thread