Reliability on the Auto transmission

Dominic Toretto

Established Member
I have a 2012 GT and don't plan on heavy mods until the financing is done. Just for future reference, I want to know what, if any, here have done power wise and still have a safe stock auto? From what I have read and heard previously before buying, the auto is stronger than the manual. Not that I care, I prefer auto but, from those with this experience, how much power can you run safely and when do the autos begine to crap out? Thanks in advance guys :)

-Alex

Last edited:

9secWS6

Established Member
I beat on mine pretty good at no issues at all. I know Im not at nearly the power level as some of the others here but it makes solid low-mid 10 passes and gets driven daily with zero issues.

D.T.R

Established Member
I don't think they have found the true limits of the autos yet... even on stock form :)

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
The 6R80 like the 4R100 is a winner when it comes to durability. Two of the best auto transmissions Ford has produced in the last decade.
I haven't heard of anyone killing a 6R80 in a Mustang. In 2011 there was a problem with some of the solenoids, and early 2012 with a leak. Ford addressed the problems.

CharlieR

Established Member
6R80 is a beast. Get it tuned in and even with a big stall its Daily Drivability is awesome and I believe 6-700rw wouldn't tax the clutch packs provided it is "shifting correctly".

D.T.R

Established Member
I'll be putting mine to its limits soon...

is there anyone in the 800-1000whp range with a bone stock auto trans?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

if your planning on that much, upgrade the clutches minimum, and possibly the billet input shaft

we went 166mph on it this weekend! Very nice piece

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member

if your planning on that much, upgrade the clutches minimum, and possibly the billet input shaft

we went 166mph on it this weekend! Very nice piece

I'm making 800hp+ and all I have done is stage 1 clutches. Drives like stock and don't have any issues.

ORLY?
well let's see what the limit of the stock clutches are then...
once something "gives" ... i'll get that exedy rebuild kit... and never worry about it again.

Dominic Toretto

Established Member
Wow, thanks for all of the posts guys! Wasn't sure how strong they are but, apparently pretty good. How often are you all changing the transmission fluid also? On my previous car, just to be sure, I changed it yearly.

Also beefcake, how difficult is it to bypass the speed limiter. I believe R&T confirmed these cars are electronically limited to 145mph.

-Alex

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
50K miles here....LOTS of track time, and MANY Nitrous passes. Only thing I have done is a converter.

And it still shifts fantastic...in part to my magic :)

Speed limited is very easily taken care of in the tune.

Users who are viewing this thread