Remember the old days (of the internet)?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
1. Being envious that your buddy had DSL.
2. 600 baud modems
3. CompuServe
4. The sound of dial-up.......

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
15 minutes for a song? You must have had a speedy connection, lol. I used to about pee my pants if my download speed went above 5kb lmao. Now I'm on a 1G Fiber connection lmao.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Downloading a picture taken from a potato took hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Yes chat rooms, prodigy, downloading, times etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Using Limewire and looking for those DSL, T1, T2, and T3 connections from the providers. I remember visiting a friend at UW and upon learning that their dorms were wired with T3, and in disbelief, going on a music downloading spree lol.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Starting a download when you went to bed and hoped it didn't error out!
Yep! I also remember when an ordering window opened online for certain items. Within seconds you'd be among thousands of others whose connection froze due to the heavy traffic. So you'd retry the order, often by repeat hits of the PLACE ORDER button. Sometimes you got lucky, but usually you'd have to start all over again. It was frantic at best. And then the infamous message......item is sold out! :eek:

CV355

_
Established Member
Aww I 'member!

I remember being in high school, using a keylogger to nab the admin password, disabling Deepfreeze, installing Java on certain computer lab PCs, and playing the original Runescape whenever I wanted. My grades didn't really suffer- I was the slacker that did zero studying/hw and did fine on most tests.

I also remember being the only guy that knew how to compress a 128kbps mp3 to fit onto a 1.44mb floppy. My father taught me DOS when I was 3, so I'd pull up DOS in W97 and everyone thought I was some kind of hacker. Pffft.

I didn't have the internet at home until I was a sophomore in college.

Does anyone remember the old Pentium commercials? Pre-blue-man-group?

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Anyone ever use mIRC for chat rooms? This was in the late 90's. Some websites had chat rooms via Java etc. But you could use the mIRC program to go into those chats and have many other options.

nxhappy

Established Member
it's sad that I truly miss windows 98 ....this new shit is TERRIBLE

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Newbs. I had a Commodore 64 in 1980, then an ibm pc jr in 1980 when you had to set your phone on the internet receiver ( it was called compuserve). I also had an HBO box that sat on top of my 13 channel tv that you had to switch on. Back then HBO came on at 8pm, showed 2 movies then went off.

Chum731

Shark Baiter
Established Member
Duke Nukem

Castle Wolfenstein

Diablo

Going into Diablo and not even playing - just chatting with people. Public games that some random wizard would show up and kill you and steal all your stuff

blubyu87gt

Established Member
Newbs. I had a Commodore 64 in 1980, then an ibm pc jr in 1980 when you had to set your phone on the internet receiver ( it was called compuserve). I also had an HBO box that sat on top of my 13 channel tv that you had to switch on. Back then HBO came on at 8pm, showed 2 movies then went off.
Oh man, I remember playing Airborne Ranger and Aliens with a C64 I found while moving when I was in the early teens. Good times!

Oh and learning that your parents weren't mind readers. They were in fact just looking at this thing called browser history lol.

Users who are viewing this thread