Replacement battery? Kinda amazed at what won't fit thus far. What will?

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Okay, so in my FJ Cruiser and SRT-8 I used AGM X2 batteries, but the Mustang seems to use a 96r, which is just a god-awful battery size, and you can really only get a battery rated for 2 years, I can't even fit the 3 year AGM let alone the X2 5-year I did in my Challenger.

What batteries are you guys fitting in these beasts? I def want an AGM battery as no leakage (gel\glass based), and they are good for 4-5 years, any probs, bring 'em back. Currently all that fits is, from what my local store had (x2 AGM) is the basic 96r which is complete junk, 2 yr, WET, water based battery.

What the heck are you guys putting in your GT-500 batteries wise? I mean the X2 I was using in my SRT-8 had 900cc amps, vs the base AGM 630cc amps) and the horrible liquid cell comes in at 600.

Please let me know as the guys at my local batteries+ store are having a heck of a time figuring out what AGM battery actually FITS in the GT-500, as non-AGM flat out sucks, kinda just assumed they would have dealt with more Mustang bat replacements, as they are so common.

Currently my stock battery is at 420CC and it should be at 600CC, and yeah, it leaked, a lot.

Last edited:

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
I just replaced the OEM battery in my 2009(MY) after 7 years of trouble free service, with another Motorcraft, it was $130 (CDN) from my local dealer. It's the same 590 CCA, which is not a lot of reserve capacity, but it is a low compression engine and starts rather easily.

For the hassle of it, and being a summer only car, I just stuck with stock.

Zemedici

Established Member
Just stick with motorcraft. Reasonably priced, OE part, 3 year free replacement with 84 month pro rated warranty. Not to mention it's guaranteed to fit ;-)

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Huh, I guess I will just go to Ford and get the MC battery then, didn't know it had 3 year warranty + pro-rate, only other 96r size that would fit was Duracell Gold which only had two years. Thanks!

Last edited:

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Put a yellow top in mine, a little adjustment and all was fine. 800 plus cranking amps

Optima has been utter junk since I think 05-06 or so. They switched plants and just flat out became junk, I'll never put a newer Optima in my vehicle (there are a million threads on how bad Optima is now)

Any basic AGM battery is better, and that's what I wanted, but the trays in our Mustangs aren't exactly big. I'll just be going with a MC battery, Optima is a waste of money. I had a 970cc yellow in my FJ before I switched to X2, when I went to the battery shop as my Yellow-Top wouldn't even crank the FJ after a year, that is when they said they no longer sell them as the quality was gone and they actually had to swap out tons of Optimas. Old-school Optima = King, but for a long time now they have been looked down upon since the factory moved. Returns have killed the sales at any local place that has a remotely good return policy if a battery goes bad.

A couple factory managers actually posted about the change with Optima. 10-12 years ago they were good, now, no, just a name. Reason no one stocks them even for high-end audio. Great design, but when you cheap out on dry-cells, you get horrible results, they just don't use good materials anymore. Go to any legit battery place (including high end car audio) and ask about Optima...they are just a name, quality is gone.

Last edited:

99SSls1

Established Member
Optima has been utter junk since I think 05-06 or so. They switched plants and just flat out became junk, I'll never put a newer Optima in my vehicle (there are a million threads on how bad Optima is now)

Any basic AGM battery is better, and that's what I wanted, but the trays in our Mustangs aren't exactly big. I'll just be going with a MC battery, Optima is a waste of money. I had a 970cc yellow in my FJ before I switched to X2, when I went to the battery shop as my Yellow-Top wouldn't even crank the FJ after a year, that is when they said they no longer sell them as the quality was gone and they actually had to swap out tons of Optimas. Old-school Optima = King, but for a long time now they have been looked down upon since the factory moved. Returns have killed the sales at any local place that has a remotely good return policy if a battery goes bad.

A couple factory managers actually posted about the change with Optima. 10-12 years ago they were good, now, no, just a name. Reason no one stocks them even for high-end audio. Great design, but when you cheap out on dry-cells, you get horrible results, they just don't use good materials anymore. Go to any legit battery place (including high end car audio) and ask about Optima...they are just a name, quality is gone.

You asked and I answered.

I don't need classes on the optima battery as everybody knows the history.

leroyt10

Established Member
Okay, so in my FJ Cruiser and SRT-8 I used AGM X2 batteries, but the Mustang seems to use a 96r, which is just a god-awful battery size, and you can really only get a battery rated for 2 years, I can't even fit the 3 year AGM let alone the X2 5-year I did in my Challenger.

What batteries are you guys fitting in these beasts? I def want an AGM battery as no leakage (gel\glass based), and they are good for 4-5 years, any probs, bring 'em back. Currently all that fits is, from what my local store had (x2 AGM) is the basic 96r which is complete junk, 2 yr, WET, water based battery.

What the heck are you guys putting in your GT-500 batteries wise? I mean the X2 I was using in my SRT-8 had 900cc amps, vs the base AGM 630cc amps) and the horrible liquid cell comes in at 600.

Please let me know as the guys at my local batteries+ store are having a heck of a time figuring out what AGM battery actually FITS in the GT-500, as non-AGM flat out sucks, kinda just assumed they would have dealt with more Mustang bat replacements, as they are so common.

Currently my stock battery is at 420CC and it should be at 600CC, and yeah, it leaked, a lot.

Replaced both of mine with the stock motorcraft, Got 5 years out of both. I have one that I rarely drive with a battery tender while in storage and got 5 years out of that one. The other is a daily driver and got pretty much the same..

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Replaced both of mine with the stock motorcraft, Got 5 years out of both. I have one that I rarely drive with a battery tender while in storage and got 5 years out of that one. The other is a daily driver and got pretty much the same..

Yeah I'm going with the stock one, need my new hawk ceramic brake-pads installed anyway. Last time I took my car in I know Ford didn't check the brakes, and now I'm pretty sure they are as worn down as they can get.

Users who are viewing this thread