Reputable shop recommends blower...

kevinp

Established Member
actually, my blower was smaller than what comes on the paxton kit.

i now have a blower equal to what comes on the paxton kit.

I'll say it as i've said many many times, any blower on these cars is going to yield great results.

it's up to you if you want to spend a couple thousand more on a pd kit

So it boils down to the extra parts/labor to run those tens equals the cost of the PD kits, I dont see a huge advantage. Honestly I have no idea what the Vortech/Paxton kits cost, so all those parts plus the Vortech may be cheaper or it may cost more. I'm sure if you pay someone to install they will charge more to install the PD kit as well so thats a factor also.

And its hard to disagree that if you are not going to keep the car or are driving a lease car then the centris are a much better way to go.

And yes I agree, we have been through this before, that I dont think anyone will be disappointed if they bolt ANY quality forced induction setup on their new 5.0.

In my case as often as I run the car I probably could have achieved the same thing with a nitrous kit at 1/2 or less of the cost but thats a different topic lol.

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
Personally I like that fact that Ford themselves have been working with PD blowers on Mustangs for a long time, and the PD setups (FRPP/Roush) were designed in conjunction with Ford. This means they have all the OEM tooling,engineering,etc behind them. Anything else to me just seems like tacked on aftermarket hodgepodgery.

CPRsm

Sort of like too small a turbo to get spooled up quick :)

These aint your '03 Cobra Eatons, they pull hard to 7500rpm, plenty of dyno graphs out there..

60 foot IS a lot of your ET, it takes a metric crap-ton of power to make for a bad front half. Especially with a nearly 4000lb car.
60 does help ET a lot. But foot braking a centri or turbo, I don't think a PD will ever come out on top ET wise. :fart: I'm with Beef though. I don't think anyone will be disappointed. Some of us are just biased :beer:

kevinp

Established Member
60 does help ET a lot. But foot braking a centri or turbo, I don't think a PD will ever come out on top ET wise. :fart: I'm with Beef though. I don't think anyone will be disappointed. Some of us are just biased :beer:

No one is talking about coming out on top ET-wise, once you get into the motor, trans and make a race car you are looking at the skill of the builder, not which power adder is 'better.' Anything can be made to go fast with enough time and effort.

I also never said a PD was 'better' than anything, just on one of these cars its one of the better bolt on solutions IMO. I'm not a huge PD fan myself overall, not like I have PD blower tattoo'd on my arm or anything lol.

I'm not biased towards anything, I have said several times in this thread there are a lot of nice kits out there for these cars. But IMO the easiest way to brand new shiny 10 second car is a 2011+ auto mustang with a TVS or Whipple and some drag radials - if thats what you want anyways.

kevinp

Established Member
That's good reason for me to come to Tennessee!! I haven't been in 10 yrs...got family in Maryville.

Come on up lol.

Personally I like that fact that Ford themselves have been working with PD blowers on Mustangs for a long time, and the PD setups (FRPP/Roush) were designed in conjunction with Ford. This means they have all the OEM tooling,engineering,etc behind them. Anything else to me just seems like tacked on aftermarket hodgepodgery.

Yea, the later model GT500s are pretty decent, the Terminator was a good step too. The procharger and Vortechs look pretty good though, way better than the stuff they were cranking out 15-20 years ago.

Some pretty crappy drives/brackets back then, with the evil FMUs you were pretty much guaranteed to need a new short block soon if you made any kind of power, if you could keep belts on and from slipping anyhow lol.

But nowadays there is some quality stuff out there, all the kits for the 5.0 look pretty good to me and I have read through all the instructions. I like the paxton/novi setup, the novi 2200is a good compressor. One thing with centris is they are very sensitive to inlet restrictions so the upgraded inlet on the paxton would be wise. I did a quick check and the 2200 paxton kit is 5500 on ebay, not sure what they are really selling for, no one seems to advertising prices so I assume that is a minimum advertised price and can be bought cheaper.

Either way I paid like 1200.00 new for the first paxton kit I put on a Fox body so prices have come a long way. But to be honest these things are very well engineered nowadays and they are truly complete kits as opposed to a box of parts with a four leaf clover in it.

2011redcandy

Established Member
^ beefcakes prices are wellllllll below that. For what he sells them for, you can get the kit, 8rib upgrade, JLT, and BAP and still be under 5500

kevinp

Established Member
^ beefcakes prices are wellllllll below that. For what he sells them for, you can get the kit, 8rib upgrade, JLT, and BAP and still be under 5500

Thats not too bad for all that.

Like I said it all depends what your goals are and what your end-game is. If I was going to end up making mine more into a race car I would rather have the centri with an upgraded drive. Lot of room to upgrade there.

But I'm mainly just driving the car, I've had the blower on here for a year now and I still have no complaints, which is pretty surprising for me. Even more surprising the car is still here after a year ;)

CPRsm

No one is talking about coming out on top ET-wise, once you get into the motor, trans and make a race car you are looking at the skill of the builder, not which power adder is 'better.' Anything can be made to go fast with enough time and effort.
I was talking about it. These conversations always drift to track numbers. I'm just saying I don't mind the lack of instant kick on the pants to gain top end and a faster overall car. I was more agreeing with Beef.

I'm not biased towards anything, I have said several times in this thread there are a lot of nice kits out there for these cars.
I was actually referring to me being biased :-D

Turbosixx

Established Member
Kevin and my friend Omar's cars is what made me go with the TVS. Also I wanted a supercharger that looked OEM and hauled ass so the Roush was the only logical choice for me. I'd much rather a turbo, but I wanted something that was proven. I did not buy a 2012 mustang to hack up or install parts that don't look right. I'm totally satisfied with the TVS and have no regrets. It was as easy as Kevin described, put the blower and tires on and run 10's. To me I don't see any reason to question that. It's been done over and over again. It's like gravity.

kevinp

Established Member
I was talking about it. These conversations always drift to track numbers. I'm just saying I don't mind the lack of instant kick on the pants to gain top end and a faster overall car. I was more agreeing with Beef.

I was actually referring to me being biased :-D

If you are truly gaining anything, like I said a lot of times that 'great top end power' means lack of low end power. Highest average power wins races, sure you can optimize anything for a peaky little engine or torque monster but I'd rather have it all if its possible. I'm not talking about a hesitation or turbo lag, why would anyone want LESS power anywhere. If you look at the dyno graphs on these you will the see the PDs hang right with the centris psi for psi on the top end at reasonable boost levels. Of course with either you are going to run out of efficiency at some point but thats not what the whole thread was about - I think.

I know, I was just saying I'm not biased, like I said I've raced them all. From 700cid DRCEs to turbo 4 cylinders, I wont get caught in the 'whats the better power adder' trap ;)

davidhuff

Established Member
I was talking about it. These conversations always drift to track numbers. I'm just saying I don't mind the lack of instant kick on the pants to gain top end and a faster overall car. I was more agreeing with Beef I was actually referring to me being biased :-D
Great to see you finally agree with some one.LOL

kevinp

Established Member
Kevin and my friend Omar's cars is what made me go with the TVS. Also I wanted a supercharger that looked OEM and hauled ass so the Roush was the only logical choice for me. I'd much rather a turbo, but I wanted something that was proven. I did not buy a 2012 mustang to hack up or install parts that don't look right. I'm totally satisfied with the TVS and have no regrets. It was as easy as Kevin described, put the blower and tires on and run 10's. To me I don't see any reason to question that. It's been done over and over again. It's like gravity.

You are still the man for driving all the way to BG and racing it, to me thats pretty impressive. I'm a wuss and trailer mine :)

SVTStampede

Established Member
I haven't had a chance to be around any of the new Vortech kits, how loud are they at idle?

I have reached the point where I hate centrifugal idle whine...at least the sound the older compressors like the ones I've owned make.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I haven't had a chance to be around any of the new Vortech kits, how loud are they at idle?

I have reached the point where I hate centrifugal idle whine...at least the sound the older compressors like the ones I've owned make.

The new kits are pretty quiet. Mine is louder, but it's a JT trim, and I wanted it cut loud!

Users who are viewing this thread