Retrofitting a '13 GT500 carbon fiber driveshaft to an '07-'12 GT500

PRP

Established Member
Just had another run of ten done. I'll chase each tapped hole to ensure they are ready to go and get the bolts for each. If you'd like to be able to add the '13/'14 carbon fiber driveshaft to your '07-'12, this is the ticket.

I should have an invoice tomorrow and can then come up with the price for each.

I have a 2010 so all I need is the adapter (not the rear trans flange).

Are you selling them as shown (plus bolts)?

I'm still 'in'.

Oh, and thanks for the heads-up...

TIA,
Phill

Imatk

Established Member
Anyone know where to get the driveshaft for less than a grand?

That's my holdup at this point :/

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Best price for the shaft I've seen was $1,032 from Tousley. They did a heck of a job protecting Ray's shaft when shipping - a major concern that they took care of. I'd check with them again to see if Ford has raised the price.

Cuda426

Established Member
Just had another run of ten done. I'll chase each tapped hole to ensure they are ready to go and get the bolts for each. If you'd like to be able to add the '13/'14 carbon fiber driveshaft to your '07-'12, this is the ticket.

I should have an invoice tomorrow and can then come up with the price for each.

IMG_2254.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

Tob, shoot me a price on one. I'm still interested

Kurtdog

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thankfully, a larger run cut the price of the flanges. Coated flange will be $279 ($20 less than previous) and the bolts are still $11. My guess for shipping is somewhere between $20 to $30. Its up to those interested to either reuse their existing fixed flange, whether you have to press off the ring or not. You can source the nut/washer/o-ring from any Ford Parts vendor such as Tousley, etc. I've shown all the part numbers in the previous pages. To summarize, you'll need...

O-ring (listed as "seal"), nut, and washer part numbers

IMG_0611_zps61bf4447.jpg

Split your factory steel shaft in half by taking the bolts out and you can reuse the paired washers with the new supplied bolts.

IMG_0484_zps285b426e.jpg

Depending on the year of your your vehicle, you can either affix the adapter directly to your original fixed flange (you have to remove it in order to attach it) or you may have to press off the steel ring as I showed earlier and then bolt the adapter to your existing flange (again, after removing it). Or buy a new one (part # AR3Z-7039-A, tell the parts guy its for a 2011 or 2012 GT500) for a little over $100 and have a bolt on assembly ready to go. Procure your shaft and you are on your way to having the peace of mind that the best factory driveshaft Ford has ever offered will soon be under your car.

Kurt, JLD, I'll fire off PM's to you two to try to get this rolling. Anyone else, send me a PM. I'll be tied up with SEMA next week and do my best to respond via my smartphone.

Imatk

Established Member
How fragile is the driveshaft? I read about the packing and how they were concerned with it being dropped.

If a rock or something else were to bounce into the driveshaft at speed would this be catostrophic?

Imatk

Established Member
Got my driveshaft installed :)

Drove it last night up to 75 mph and there was no issue whatsoever.

I haven't noticed anything really. Except maybe the driveline being a bit quieter.

Thanks TOB!

Imatk

Established Member
I didn't install it myself, Chris at Allies here in Austin did the job.

He said it went very smooth... only issue was pulling the dampener off of the transmission. The puller tool broke.

Other than that no issues.

I had a safety loop for the shaft that was removed for possible clearance issues, but he didn't need to relocate anything else.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Good to hear that Chris was pleased.

Nice to get that damping ring off. Heavy as heck, once you hold one in your hands you get a feel as to why the factory shitcanned them as well.:)

I'm happy for you. You now have a rather unique GT500 in a way that most would never see or comprehend. Good luck with it.

Tob

Imatk

Established Member
Good to hear that Chris was pleased.

Nice to get that damping ring off. Heavy as heck, once you hold one in your hands you get a feel as to why the factory shitcanned them as well.:)

I'm happy for you. You now have a rather unique GT500 in a way that most would never see or comprehend. Good luck with it.

Tob

Yeah I picked it up... holy smokes is that thing heavy!!

Did they remove those after 2007 or was that a 2013 thing only?

I've noticed that it does seem to be smoother as well on takeoff. I'm not sure if that's my imagination or not, but so far I'm over the moon with this.

Yeah Chris said that adapter was a work of art... and I agree :)

Thanks TOB!

bigblockford69

Great write up, looks like a factory piece. I applaude the attention to detail and level of engineering. I'd like to purchase an adapter, I tried to send a PM but the tablet isn't playing nice.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
My apologies Joel for not seeing your post and responding to your inquiry. I forwarded you my email address.

I still have a few of these left. PM me if you're interested (scroll up to post #287 for pricing).

Tom sent me a short clip he made while doing one of these and I didn't put it up. Here it is...

Tob

Users who are viewing this thread