Retrofitting a '13 GT500 carbon fiber driveshaft to an '07-'12 GT500

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Bump from the grave. Is there an off the shelf bearing puller I can use on this thing?

08KR525

Established Member
Bump from the grave. Is there an off the shelf bearing puller I can use on this thing?

Any auto parts store that loans tools will have one. You need the one that bolts to your flange, not the three jaw type. It will make removing it simple. GL

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
I got my adapter finally installed (Thanks Tob!)... Even though my transmission is out of the car, there is no way to mount the adapter to the flange while still on the transmission (at least not in the manner it should be...)

I got the OE flange puller off eBay for $30 .... that makes it a breeze to remove the flange...

puller.jpeg

note that ball at the end...

test.jpeg

Adapter on:

flange.jpeg

LEXiiON

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I got my adapter finally installed (Thanks Tob!)... Even though my transmission is out of the car, there is no way to mount the adapter to the flange while still on the transmission (at least not in the manner it should be...)

I got the OE flange puller off eBay for $30 .... that makes it a breeze to remove the flange...

View attachment 38977

note that ball at the end...

View attachment 38979

LEXiiON

What do you mean by the adapter not fitting with the trans in place?

Also what did you search on ebay for the flange puller?

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse

Also what did you search on ebay for the flange puller?

When the flange is still on the transmission, you can't get a torque wrench in place to torque the bolts down that bolt the adapter to the flange. You can easily get the bolts in, but the head of the wrench will hit the transmission housing and the socket will be at an angle. So not really the way it should be.

I searched for the Ford P/N... 307-523.... There is currently one for sale for $49.90 on eBay

Hope this helps,

LEXiiON

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
What surprises me is that the oem double thick box that this CF shaft is shipped in says nothing about "Do Not Drop" printed on the outside. but when you have the shaft out of the box it clearly says "Scrap If Dropped". You would think that if dropping is that critical, the box would have warning labels on each side, and top and bottom? Is it a certain way that it is dropped that is an issue? and in the double packed box it is somewhat safe for mishandling during shipment from point A to B?

R

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

LEXiiON and I spoke on the phone about this as he wondered if you really had to pull the OE fixed flange in order to bolt the machined adapter ring to it. I thought I could too until I saw that you couldn't fit an allen headed socket and a torque wrench between the back side of the flange and the transmission tailshaft. You have to remove the factory flange and torque it to the ring first, then install it. Now get your butt in gear and install that CF shaft before arthritis sets in!

I searched for the Ford P/N... 307-523.... There is currently one for sale for $49.90 on eBay

Hope this helps,

LEXiiON

Nice find.

What surprises me is that the oem double thick box that this CF shaft is shipped in says nothing about "Do Not Drop" printed on the outside. but when you have the shaft out of the box it clearly says "Scrap If Dropped". You would think that if dropping is that critical, the box would have warning labels on each side, and top and bottom? Is it a certain way that it is dropped that is an issue? and in the double packed box it is somewhat safe for mishandling during shipment from point A to B?

R

The factory does a poor job packaging and protecting such a fragile part. Far too many of these '13/'14 CF driveshafts have been damaged before ever being bolted on due to the way they were "handled."

Imatk

Established Member
The factory does a poor job packaging and protecting such a fragile part. Far too many of these '13/'14 CF driveshafts have been damaged before ever being bolted on due to the way they were "handled."

Having worked for UPS many moons ago I can tell you that "Fragile" on the side may or may not matter in the handling of your shipment.

For "good" employees it will matter, but there are some that just don't care and I've been an eye witness to that unfortunately.

moncho

Established Member
I was fortunate to have Steve ship mine, he went out of his way to ensure the shipment was safe/secure, regardless of the signage. He's over @ Tasca.

Cheers,
Ray

Imatk

Established Member
I was fortunate to have Steve ship mine, he went out of his way to ensure the shipment was safe/secure, regardless of the signage. He's over @ Tasca.

Cheers,
Ray

Right, I'm not talking about the Ford employee I'm talking about the UPS employees.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
When the flange is still on the transmission, you can't get a torque wrench in place to torque the bolts down that bolt the adapter to the flange. You can easily get the bolts in, but the head of the wrench will hit the transmission housing and the socket will be at an angle. So not really the way it should be.

Hope this helps,

LEXiiON

Somebody grabbed it out from under me.

iceman22

Established Member
Anymore adapters

Im am really looking ino this ds swap , I have a 2011 and im always worried about the heavy 2 pcs ds , found a good deal on a 2013 takeoff , are these adapters still available ? Please message me and let me know ,and by the way this is an awesome write up , don't get on here much but just had to read every word of this one , and keep coming back to it . Hoping to finally pull the trigger.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Finally got a driveshaft ... One more item down for the built... This one was a steal - I paid $400 for it.

driveshaft.jpg

LEXiiON

snakehorse1

Hello Tob, I'm new to this forum but after reading through this posting I'd like to purchase one of these adaptors as well. Do you currently have any on hand ready to go? I want the full set-up with the new flange for my 07.

Please let me know & thanks - Rob

Users who are viewing this thread