Retrofitting a '13 GT500 carbon fiber driveshaft to an '07-'12 GT500

Paul.

Established Member
Tob, I just spent the better part of a cross-country flight from Phoenix to Charlotte reading this entire thread cover-to-cover. (and a few posts multiple times in order to allow the simple mind of a dumb banker to absorb such technological wizardry)

This thread rules, and your commitment to getting this done is nothing short of outstanding. Thank you!

Paul.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Paul, self-deprecation will get you everywhere. Too bad it doesn't guarantee stellar ROI percentages!

Truth be told with respect to commitment...my attempts to source a one piece flange (that would accomplish what this two piece does) from a Tier One supplier were met with a heavy bureaucratic hand. The resulting revised plan to motivate said supplier as well as Ford Racing to work together on a shaft and adapter kit ran head on into the same wall. Approaching some at Ford Racing (in person) in an effort to facilitate mere consideration of such a kit left me somewhat disappointed as well. I wish I could share more detail but I simply cannot. I have not given up hope yet and am still planning on a multifaceted approach that may not only garner interest but will hopefully yield tangible results.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I just wanted to update this with how mine is performing.

I've been running this since last summer. The install was flawless, the quality of the adapter was flawless. The result was/is an OEM feel. I've drag raced numerous times on it with over 800rwh. Recently I upgraded to a built motor, cams, bigger blower, etc. And upon tear down for my build, the adapter and all the bolts/related parts were still as secure as the day I installed it. I re-installed everything the same way, and again went together flawlessly. I've been driving the car a lot since then and of all my mods, it's still one of my favorites. Smooth as glass. Before my built motor, but after my 4.0L Whipple upgrade the car made 874/800 at the wheels, and this shaft is holding that power no problem.

Anyone who is on the fence about doing this swap, shouldn't hesitate. I'm planning for mid-9's at around 145-150 this year, and I have complete confidence in this setup holding up to that kind of power/track times. I'll update as those times come in.

89Saleen215

Established Member
...and I've heard (read) maybe an mpg improvement?? Can anyone comment on this? Less rotating mass = better mpg's

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Paul. said:
would swapping in a TR6060 or a T56 Magnum into my Coyote permit me to run the OEM Ford CF shaft? I've thought of doing aftermarket stuff, I just prefer the parts that Ford cranks out because I know the amount of engineering behind them.

Meh, I suppose I should just buy a '13/'14 Shelby and stop trying to make my Coyote something it will never be. It's just really hard to find a glass-roof and super-loaded Shelby the way I want one outfitted, and I won't shell out the coin (and more importantly the sales tax) to buy a new one. Plus, I like doing the mods.

Paul, the direct answer to your initial question isn't a simple yes or no.

There are T56 Magnum XL six speed swap kits offered by companies such as JPC, American Powertrain, etc. A cursory review of what each firm offers shows pricing somewhere in the neighborhood of $4,500 when including the clutch, driveshaft, etc. You wouldn't be able to use the GT500's CF shaft because the Magnum XL uses a slip yoke output shaft design as opposed to a fixed flange design on the TR6060. Nice transmission though.:)

You could swap in a GT500 TR6060. Ford Racing does just that on their Boss 302S models. Here's a couple of photos I posted earlier.

zdpp_0059.jpg

zdpp_0117.jpg

zdpp_0145.jpg

They used (essentially) the '13/'14 GT500 TR6060, complete with a factory fixed flange, slave cylinder, etc, and were able to directly bolt in the CF shaft. I think there may be an issue with the speed sensor, as the GT uses a 3 wire and the GT500 uses a two wire if I remember correctly. JPC uses a "speed calibration box" and I think AP has a similar solution. I don't know how Ford Racing handles this, but a call to either them or Watson Racing may yield some relevant information. So you could use any year TR6060 ('07-'14) by addressing the flange with the factory piece or otherwise, handle the speed sensor so your Coyote PCM would be happy, and be on your way to CF happiness.:) You can find GT500 TR6060's for around $2,000 or so (I paid $2,400 for a ~100 mile '13 GT500 TR6060 - shipped), a shaft for just over $1,000, as well as other incidentals (clutch components), and be well under what the T56 Magnum XL goes for. At that point the argument becomes one of the semi-remote mounted shifter of the TR6060 vs the fixed shifter that the Magnum uses, etc.

gallopingford

Hi, my name is Cam
Established Member
Tob, I want to express my gratitude to you for coming up with this idea and having the adapters made. I finally got my DS installed and the car on the road and it feels fantastic.

Some pictures to show it off -

751A3777-10D7-4294-8A78-539C6A16A171_zpsgkbeji7d.jpg

3A2D3C58-4FA0-4056-857B-C0872898F4A7_zpsbfttllp8.jpg

76324768-679A-45A2-934E-EAC142CA1922_zpsthjbehuh.jpg

mocked it up (didn't have it bolted down completely at this point)

F7155A79-7871-44D1-A7ED-99F4F996D317_zps47cagkku.jpg

F019BF27-12EE-494A-BEE5-6F66B115D619_zpstuhrjj3r.jpg

9F1C2DA7-D462-4026-9A95-CFC6AE11E440_zpslghcyi0i.jpg

Thanks again!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks Cam. I think SVT Engineer John Pfeiffer deserves all the gratitude. He was tasked with making the CF shaft a reality for '13/'14 model year GT500's. He and his cohorts designed an extremely robust piece.

And Cam, regarding the last photo you showed...didn't you use the factory "paired" washers on the shaft side of the front CV joint? You should use them (if you didn't). They distribute the clamp load much better across the thin joint casing than the underside of the socket headed capscrew or factory bolts alone do.

I'm glad to hear you're happy!

gallopingford

Hi, my name is Cam
Established Member
At the moment, no I do not have them installed. I didn't get them in time to install them and the car has only been driven less than 10 miles - I still have a large amount of issues I'm working out with the 5.4L swap. Once I get them worked out I'll be installing a set of those paired washers... I understand completely how they are a beneficial piece.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Good man. And here's to you for taking on the 5.4 swap!

I forget if you told me...what did you end up paying for your CF shaft?

08KR525

Established Member
Finally got around to doing the '13/'14 cf ds swap in my KR a couple of weeks ago. It is well worth the effort. Driveline seems much more responsive and smooth now. I ended up using another forum member's one piece flange. It is a quality piece and the install was straightforward. I highly recommend it.

kevingib

Established Member
Tob awesome work and great documentation as always.

Do you still have some of these available by chance? i think you said $279 for just the adaptor and since I have an 11 that is all I need.

I also think I read someplace in the last 300+ posts that the flange has to be removed to bolt up the piece, is that correct? Any chance of getting it done without pulling it?

Thanks so much.

CF is not on my big list and I was going aftermarket until I read thsi and considered the R&D effort and testing that went into the OEM piece in comparision.

kevingib

Established Member
Thanks Tob..

And for everyone else watching this thread - Tob reached out and provided me a number to call him to discuss. He didn't know me from Adam but when I called him he spent about an hour and a half on the phone chatting about all sorts of stuff. Not only is he a huge help around here and has a unique way of digging in to find solutions, he is a stand up guy and I look forward to more conversations with him in the future. I also am certain that in the future when I follow his threads he will always steer in a clear and concise as well as correct direction.

I say TOB for President!!!!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Do I have to pay you for that? :-D

Good talking to you. Hopefully that used shaft you have your eyes on is in perfect condition. Talk to you soon Kevin.

leroyt10

Established Member
I have been lurking on this thread since it's inception some time ago, and the information is staggering. I have an 08 GT-500 that is getting close to 650-700 RWHP, and am convinced this it the way to go. Would like to know if any of these adaptors are available at this time. Thanks to all the members for the info, which is the reason I am a member now. Hope I can help out somewhere along the way too...

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Tob, I just spent the better part of a cross-country flight from Phoenix to Charlotte reading this entire thread cover-to-cover. (and a few posts multiple times in order to allow the simple mind of a dumb banker to absorb such technological wizardry)

This thread rules, and your commitment to getting this done is nothing short of outstanding. Thank you!

Paul.

Tob is the guru, reason I never argue with him, he is Yoda.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Paul, the direct answer to your initial question isn't a simple yes or no.

Th

You could swap in a GT500 TR6060. Ford Racing does just that on their Boss 302S models. Here's a couple of photos I posted earlier.
Don't think I've ever seen a Boss 302S, neat they swap out the plagued MT82 trans.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Shifty, technically, the 302S never sees an MT82. By design it gets the TR6060 as original equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread