Review for Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel and Tire Cleaner

NeoTokyo

Established Member
Heya everyone;

I shot this video a couple months back and just got around to uploading it.

I am reviewing Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel and Tire Cleaner.
This product work perfectly on my Steel RV wheels, on the wheels on my wifes Freestar and I did need to lightly scrub the alloy wheels on my wifes 68' Mustang to get them 100%.

For Steel wheels, it worked great but for the alloys it seemed that dirt wanted to hold on a bit more than what the water could get off.

My video.

Review for Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel and Tire Cleaner - YouTube

Last edited:

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
My wheels are painted and nothing I have used, including this stuff, gets them 100% clean. It did work well though.

NeoTokyo

Established Member
Out of all the wheels that I used it on, the steel is what turned out the best, April's alloys were the worst BUT cleaner then when I started. :p

Here's had black painted valley's and it didnt clean the black very well.

There is another formula for painted and alloy wheels though.

I tested this on an OEM painted hub cap and it ate the paint off so you need to be careful about THIS version of the cleaner on painted surfaces.

:)

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Not bad for OTC wheel cleaner. A little agitation with a MF towel would also help the product after you let it dwell for a few minutes. I doubt this will do the job on a neglected german wheel with baked on brake dust though, that would be a good test.

NeoTokyo

Established Member
It seemed to lift MOST thick brake dust from the inner wheel fairly well, but it would need to be wiped down to get the left over brake dust film off.

As for really dirty, baked on dust wheel cleaning, it may not clean it perfectly but it is a great start to being able to work a lot less to clean the same wheel. :)

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
if a chemical is strong enough to remove embedded brake dust than its strong enough to damage the finish on your wheels. its been known to happen with various "wheel cleaners". even to factory wheels. i recently had a customer who's wheels were severely damaged by one of these wheel cleaners (either mothers or meguiars, cant recall) that said they were "safe for all wheel finishes". :nonono:

redrocket16

Established Member
if a chemical is strong enough to remove embedded brake dust than its strong enough to damage the finish on your wheels. its been known to happen with various "wheel cleaners". even to factory wheels. i recently had a customer who's wheels were severely damaged by one of these wheel cleaners (either mothers or meguiars, cant recall) that said they were "safe for all wheel finishes". :nonono:

I would be highly interested in products TF recommends for their wheels. Have ya'll tested in house some of the various products and companies out there for wheels cleaners?

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
I have to say, if you are in the detailing section of a car enthusiast website, then most likely your wheels are cleaned frequently enough to not need this stuff. And if you have TF wheels and let them get dirty enough to need wheel cleaner then you need to trade in your Mustang for a mini van or something. I do have some of this cleaner but have only used on the inner barrels of used wheels that I have purchased.

Regular cleaning with car wash soap and application of wax or sealant every so often makes this type of cleaner irrelevant.

Just my .02

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Established Member

They have warnings on it that say what it is not safe on.
Anyone doing anything to their car should read directions and warnings before starting.

The type that I was using is not safe for painted wheels thus why I used it for my RV and only tested it on the others.

:)

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
interested in products TF recommends for their wheels.

RIGHT THERE------------> http://www.svtperformance.com/forum.../751002-svtperformance-shine-seal-review.html

I have to say, if you are in the detailing section of a car enthusiast website, then most likely your wheels are cleaned frequently enough to not need this stuff. And if you have TF wheels and let them get dirty enough to need wheel cleaner then you need to trade in your Mustang for a mini van or something. I do have some of this cleaner but have only used on the inner barrels of used wheels that I have purchased.

Regular cleaning with car wash soap and application of wax or sealant every so often makes this type of cleaner irrelevant.

Just my .02

Well to be a little more contructive, I have used this particular "Hot Wheels Cleaner" on my factory GT wheels, and other factory wheels, to include 03/04 OEM Chrome wheels. I also use it on my XD MONSTERS (flat black finish). Simply to loosen the dirt grime and brake dust. It loosens but you still need to take the good ole fashioned spounge, soap, and wife to finish it off. Her hands are smaller than mine

Do not use this on ALUMINUM!!!!!

Last edited:

mnewxcv

Established Member
its just too harsh for something I want to keep around. I used the mothers all wheel cleaner before. It does an amazing job, but you can tell the second you spray it from the smell that it is extremely chemically potent and even slight contact with skin irritated it. If I was using this on a vehicle I didnt care much about, the kind that gets washed every few months with no name soap, I might go this route, but for anything I really care about, no.

mach14604

Established Member
I'm a firm believer if you go and keep a good wax and sealant on the wheels you do not need a wheel cleaner. I stopped using wheel cleaners about two years ago because I started to see problems like deterioration on wheel surfaces when I would use the wheel cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread