Reviving old threads vs not searching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulk

Established Member
Not really here at SVTP (one reason why I like this board so much), but I have noticed in a lot of forums that someone (noob or not) has asked a question on a 5 year old thread. Probably because they googled something and that thread came up. But they get bitched at for reviving an ancient thread, even though the expectation is that said person use the search button before creating a new post on something that's already been covered.

What's your take on this?

cj428mach

Established Member
At SVTP you're supposed to make a new thread or ask permission to bump an old one. There was a thread about it in the Terminator section.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Not really here at SVTP (one reason why I like this board so much), but I have noticed in a lot of forums that someone (noob or not) has asked a question on a 5 year old thread. Probably because they googled something and that thread came up. But they get bitched at for reviving an ancient thread, even though the expectation is that said person use the search button before creating a new post on something that's already been covered.

What's your take on this?

I always get a kick out of this, the saying is "USE THE SEARCH BUTTON" but god forbid someone actually does and has a question that pertains to said thread they searched for and ressurect it.

IMO you gotta have an either-or stance. Either you "Use the search" and dont mind when people resurrect threads due to the issue being what they also need help with, or you dont get mad when people make new threads to issues that have been gone over in the past.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
I agree that if its a worthwhile thread, it shouldnt be such a big deal. On the SN95 forums, every so often a Kenne Bell 2.1 thread comes up, but few have answers. If Its a melting pot of info it should be a sticky renamed appropriately.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
If an old thread gets bumped with an appropriate question, I think appropriate, but that is not the policy here. S197 is really the only forum I have seen that prefers bumping an old thread and protects their tech section pretty carefully. Probably to many old threads getting bumped for no reason here, hence their policy.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I've always felt they were a little harsh on that rule here..

Ironically, on the Lincoln forum I frequent, you will get bitched at for the first twenty posts if you don't search for at least 8 hours before making a new thread... Bunch of ****ing homos

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
This is actually a great question. Most of threads getting bumped are coming from a search from one of the browsers, Google, Yahoo and some of the other social media stuff, etc. This is a big site. What I've told the gang in the 03/04 section if it adds new content, no issues. It's the random bumps like from a anywhere from a 2-8 year old thread that says "did you ever figure it out" and the member hasn't posted since he started that thread. We've kinda gotten off the " search is your friend" deal as so many new members have joined. A great member TRBO VNM put it best, as most of that stuff you found from years ago has changed. If you have any questions about bumping a thread, contact a staff member.

Woody6799

Established Member
I think it has increased since the revamp since the search button doesn't work correctly on my account anymore. It doesn't find anything newer than a year or so

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I think it has increased since the revamp since the search button doesn't work correctly on my account anymore. It doesn't find anything newer than a year or so

The normal search sucks. Use the "Advanced Search" option.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
The normal search sucks. Use the "Advanced Search" option.

Meh, I can't get the advanced search to work nearly as well as it did on the previous forum format. Just can't. I always used to be able to search for a keyword in the thread titles. Can't do that now for some reason

BMR Tech

Meh, I can't get the advanced search to work nearly as well as it did on the previous forum format. Just can't. I always used to be able to search for a keyword in the thread titles. Can't do that now for some reason

I felt the same, but have grown to accept...and almost enjoy the new search.

What you are saying, though, is quite simple.

Click Advanced Search > Click Search Single Content Type > Type in Keyword.....then click the drop down, select search titles only.

Basically, when you want to do searches like the previous feature......you always want to click "Search Single Content Type" ----- The searches for titles, keywords, and usernames works as it did previously. Definitely more complicated, but it works well.

;-)

TRMach1

Established Member
I don't understand why for every single thing people cry "use the search button". I mean if people never make new threads then the forum is going to eventually die out.. On mustang forums I see this ALL the time, someone asks something and the first post is "use the search button" I personally think its stupid.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Click Advanced Search > Click Search Single Content Type > Type in Keyword.....then click the drop down, select search titles only.

Basically, when you want to do searches like the previous feature......you always want to click "Search Single Content Type" ----- The searches for titles, keywords, and usernames works as it did previously. Definitely more complicated, but it works well.

;-)
Thank you for that info, sir! I just got educated. :thumbsup:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

;-)

That's it Kelly.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
There's no need to bump dead threads in SmackDown. Only thing you need to search there is "OP is a ******", and that is in just about every thread.

Prototype007

Established Member
I agree that if its a worthwhile thread, it shouldnt be such a big deal. On the SN95 forums, every so often a Kenne Bell 2.1 thread comes up, but few have answers. If Its a melting pot of info it should be a sticky renamed appropriately.

I've said this before and everyone acted like it was the most terrible suggestion ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread