Road Trip

TFStang

Established Member
Anyone on here take a road trip in their R? Talking about a multi day trip. Not just a long one day trip? If so, how long was the trip and where did you go?

Thinking about doing a trip in the fall and trying to decide which car to do it in.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Well since you asked.....

My car has been on numerous road trips, Michigan three times, Montreal three times, Watkins Glen, carlisle, and the furthest trip was Nashville back in 2004 for the 40th anniversary mustang show. This was a 9 day round trip, 2 days each way of travel, got there 1 extra day early, and 4 days of the show.

The spring and fall trips were no big deal with no AC, the summer trips to Michigan, I probably as I get older wouldn't do them again.

I've gone on some trips without the front splitter, some trips I've brought the splitter in the car - it can be done, slide it in thru the trunk and let it rest on the arm rest and wrap around into the front passenger seat. All while wrapped in multiple blankets and towels.

The only issues I've ever had while away was once my driver's side window would not go up, had to leave it parked at the hotel all night with the window down - didn't sleep much that night - the next day it worked like nothing ever happened, and the second was once it suddenly started throwing a check engine light during a session at Watkins Glen and running like shit. Threw a diagnostic reader on and t was cylinder 5, bad spark. It ate up the coil pack. Turns out these are the same ones used as the 4.6, so ran downtown to an auto parts store, bought 1, back the track, changed it out and back on track for next session.

I would not hesitate for a moment to take a fall road trip in the car, you'll enjoy it. You'd be surprised how much you can fit in the car between the trunk and no back seat.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's always nice to hear that people are actually driving these 'R's for more than a couple of miles. To me, you have to drive it occasionally to really get the full enjoyment of ownership. A 2-day+ road trip in the Fall sounds like a lot of fun.

TFStang

Established Member
Well since you asked.....

My car has been on numerous road trips, Michigan three times, Montreal three times, Watkins Glen, carlisle, and the furthest trip was Nashville back in 2004 for the 40th anniversary mustang show. This was a 9 day round trip, 2 days each way of travel, got there 1 extra day early, and 4 days of the show.

The spring and fall trips were no big deal with no AC, the summer trips to Michigan, I probably as I get older wouldn't do them again.

I've gone on some trips without the front splitter, some trips I've brought the splitter in the car - it can be done, slide it in thru the trunk and let it rest on the arm rest and wrap around into the front passenger seat. All while wrapped in multiple blankets and towels.

The only issues I've ever had while away was once my driver's side window would not go up, had to leave it parked at the hotel all night with the window down - didn't sleep much that night - the next day it worked like nothing ever happened, and the second was once it suddenly started throwing a check engine light during a session at Watkins Glen and running like shit. Threw a diagnostic reader on and t was cylinder 5, bad spark. It ate up the coil pack. Turns out these are the same ones used as the 4.6, so ran downtown to an auto parts store, bought 1, back the track, changed it out and back on track for next session.

I would not hesitate for a moment to take a fall road trip in the car, you'll enjoy it. You'd be surprised how much you can fit in the car between the trunk and no back seat.
Real cool! I knew if there was someone in here that did a road trip in their R, it would be you. I'm actually thinking of doing something in the fall.

Jason95R

Established Member
The guy I bought my car from (previous member on here) told me that he took it from his home in PA to the Carolina's (I don't remember which one) a couple of different times. He had family there and drove it down for vacation.

I personally have only done the 250 mile ride from PA to CT the day I bought the car. It was the beginning of August and it was one hot ride home.

Users who are viewing this thread