Roush 2.3L S/C Kit question

Established Member
VMP kit FTW.

82mm pulley, with VMP stage 3 kit(Throttle body, JLT, ID825's, and huge HE), with LT's and catted mid pipe I made 636 rwhp, and 519rwtq.

I did have to cut a lot out of the bottom of the bumper for the HE, but if you go slow and take your time you can do everything with the VMP kit in your garage over a weekend or 2. It looks stock except for the HE that you can see in the lower bumper.

As for customer service, Justin and BJ at VMP were top notch. I had a fuel issue and they did everything they could to help. But in the end it was nothing to do with thier kit, I had a hair line crack in one of my plugs and it was blowing the spark out under boost. New plugs and it runs like a beast.

zachcrosen

Established Member
I had one of the first few VMP kits put out for our cars! Im running the VMP kit with the 75mm pulley and putting down 654/600 on stock bottom end. Been running great for about a year and a half. I highly recommend the thiskit as it has everything needed and a little neat extras like the plug n play harnesses so you dont have to depin and repin things. Since they now come with the Gen 2 case, thats another nice upgrade!! I also highly recommend letting Justin tune the car if you go with either a Roush or a VMP kit.

My JLT CAI fit like crap too but I just left the fender bolt out of the heat shield or else the filter would pull off the intake tube.

swervo

Established Member
I'm patiently awaiting for my kit to get here. I already have the gen 2 head unit, pulley and injectors. I'm just waiting on the rest of the kit.

DaBigBone

Established Member
As time has gone by it has gotten A LOT different. All vmp kits now ship with Gen2 head units.

Can you tell me what the biggest difference is with the Gen 2 vs the Roush? Or have a link to where I can read about it? Looking to do one of the kits this winter.

drh_5.0

Established Member
Dyno'd mine this spring with a 85mm pulley, long tubes, catted X pipe' JLT CAI on 93. Made 575 to the wheels in an auto. Would be more like 600whp in a stick. I run an 82mm now.
I have the Roush stage 2. The VMP is just a Roush with improvements & refinements...
Right about where I would want to be in my 6 speed! How was the install? I read there is grinding needed for the timing chain cover? Thanks for the Dyno Sheet, helped a lot! Curious how much Boost you are in under 2k rpm if at all?

I had no issues with my JLT install.
How was your install? Easy/Hard? or did you bring it to a shop? I read there is grinding needed for the timing chain cover?

As time has gone by it has gotten A LOT different. All vmp kits now ship with Gen2 head units.
Justin, do your VMP kits require trimming to the timing chain cover? Also I was planning on calling you guys to find out about tuning my ride after I were to purchase either the Roush or VMP. Do you require remote tuning? Your page looks like there are mail order tunes with a S/C? Obviously a remote tune would be more accurate would be my guess?

Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Right about where I would want to be in my 6 speed! How was the install? I read there is grinding needed for the timing chain cover? Thanks for the Dyno Sheet, helped a lot! Curious how much Boost you are in under 2k rpm if at all?

How was your install? Easy/Hard? or did you bring it to a shop? I read there is grinding needed for the timing chain cover?

There is grinding of I think 3 bolt bosses, but its not a big deal. I actually had Alternative Auto do the install and tuning because of Lidio's reputation and him being only 90 mins from me.

I don't have a boost gauge so I have no clue on boost at 2000 RPM, but I get air under the front tire launching at 1500 RPM with my auto. here's a pic...

I will say the gen II should be bad ass for a max effort TVS!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 225

drh_5.0

Established Member
There is grinding of I think 3 bolt bosses, but its not a big deal. I actually had Alternative Auto do the install and tuning because of Lidio's reputation and him being only 90 mins from me.

I don't have a boost gauge so I have no clue on boost at 2000 RPM, but I get air under the front tire launching at 1500 RPM with my auto. here's a pic...

I will say the gen II should be bad ass for a max effort TVS!
Haha badass pic...Thanks for sharing. If I were to get the Roush TVS I would have nearly all the same mods as you, only difference would be it being a 6speed and an aluminum 1 pc drive shaft. Maybe one day I'll be doing some sweet tire lifting of my own! :banana:

I may even get myself the blower as soon as this weekend if I'm lucky and work enough OT! Will definitely post in this thread once I do and update after install.

Brent Davis

Established Member
If you have a '14 GT, then there are no ribs to cut off. Ford left those off and you just have to trim the bosses down.

OP, I bought a Whipple 2.3 kit and had I known about the VMP kit, I would have went that way. The VMP kits come with the huge HE with dual fans, larger injectors, larger 67mm TB's and of course with Justin's proven tunes and all for the same that I paid for the whipple kit and got way less parts. For about another $3,000 on top of the $7,500 I paid for the whipple, I can then have equivalent to the VMP kit and then I am at $10,500.......SMH.

Good luck at your choice and build.

Vert

Established Member
Install is straight forward, not hard at all. It took me around 8hrs with me showing me nephew a few things.

drh_5.0

Established Member
Was reading installation guide online last night. Didn't look bad except the timing cover grinding. And seen something about re-wiring some connectors?? Anyone know anything about that?

Anybody running the 47 lb injectors with this kit or did you all upgrade to 60+ or ID's? Any fuel issues with the 47's?

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I'm running 47's without a booster, but I'm about maxed out. I'm around 600 whp... Over the winter I want to do oil pump gears, fuel system, & bigger injectors to run E85...

Vert

Established Member
Im also running 47lbers and all is good. As far as the de-pinning, I used a pick to undo the pin tab while I pulled on the wire from the back of the harness. Just make sure you strip the wire low enough so it wont interfere when placing it back into the harness.

drh_5.0

Established Member
I'm running 47's without a booster, but I'm about maxed out. I'm around 600 whp... Over the winter I want to do oil pump gears, fuel system, & bigger injectors to run E85...

Corn FTW! Wish I had that out this way, and with those new gears even less to worry about. I'd say you'd be looking at 625-650 easy. Sick.....Hmmmm think if I went with 47# and a B-A-P I'd be safe for 600whp? Don't want to run lean!!! Lol.

drh_5.0

Established Member
Im also running 47lbers and all is good. As far as the de-pinning, I used a pick to undo the pin tab while I pulled on the wire from the back of the harness. Just make sure you strip the wire low enough so it wont interfere when placing it back into the harness.

Awesome, think I may go with 47's and a B-A-P. Hmmmm that de-pinning sounds a little tedious. Wonder why Roush doesn't just have a plug and play connector of some sort to avoid all that. Oh well will definitely keep that in mind when doing the install! Thanks!!!

mackdog2008

Established Member
Awesome, think I may go with 47's and a B-A-P. Hmmmm that de-pinning sounds a little tedious. Wonder why Roush doesn't just have a plug and play connector of some sort to avoid all that. Oh well will definitely keep that in mind when doing the install! Thanks!!!
Vmp stage 3 kit has a plug and play, also ID1000 injectors which is good for E85

Users who are viewing this thread