Roush Stage 3 or Shelby?

gr850

Established Member
Stopped by David Regan Ford and looked at a 2012 Roush Stage 3 coupe. Very sweet and loaded nicely. My guess is nearly every option available if not all because MSRP was $60,600:eek:
Now my question is why would anyone buy that when there is a 2012 Shelby next to it; SVTPP, E-pkg, Recaro's at $57,800.

I wonder if Roush used the Boss engine or regular 5.0 engine? I'd hope the Boss with improved internals.

On a side note and no disrepect towards David Regan as it's a biz interest for him but avoid the place. Long story but if I were him I'd clean house. These folks have zero interest in repeat customers..........

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
That is definately not every option. 60k is close to the base brice for the stage 3!
From what I have read, it is the standard motor, just with the Roush/TVS blower on it. I was actually up info on them today. If they had a forged motor, I think it would be an easy decision, but as it stands I would do the gt500.
Add to the fact that you can get X-plan pricing on the gt500, and it is a no brainer in my book. I would suspect that would save about 4k, which could then be used to throw a bigger blower on the gt500 :)
I am probably a little biased though ;)

flS/R

Established Member
the Shelby!! for all the reasons previously listed.

ctozzi

Established Member
I would not even think on the Roush, for a few reasons:

1. What's the resale value of Roush ? We know basically a scale of what Gt500's are worth.

2. I personally think all Roush cars look a bit cheap and slapped together. A GT500 looks a hell of alot meaner and resembles the 70's muscle cars plus those snakes on the fenders and the Shelby name of course makes it faster.

3. A Roush in my opinion is nothing more than a GT with a few add-ons and a HUGE pricetag. You could probably build the same car for 20K less.

Anyhow Best of luck in your decision.
Chris

mus99gt

Established Member
I say do the Shelby. I am picking mine up on Thursday. Bought it on X-plan. Only options is NAV, but sticker was 51,945 and x-plan is 47,631. So save about 4300 on it.

Kenneth

Established Member
When I was shopping around, one of the local dealers had a ROUSH 5XR on display, it was pretty much the basic model.
came close to buying that one just because of the limited production (only 150 were made)

Than started looking at which one is easier to upgrade, GT500 hands down.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
I asked that same question to myself late last year and I just don't see how anyone can spend that much money for what you get. I agree, Shelby hands down also.

BigDan

Established Member
If you are hung up on a Roush then look at the 2010 stage 3 that came with a fully forged 3V that looks like a handful.

gr850

Established Member
Oh, I'm not hung up on a Roush by any means. Proud owner of a 2011 P-White/Red SVTPP, glass roof, E pkg Shelby. The Roush is no doubt nice but was wondering if anyone in sound mind and body on here would choose the Roush. Of course I did ask in a GT500 forum so I suspect a slight bias:)

2011SVT

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Established Member
I was sitting one table over from a group of 'Roush Guys' at a car show this past Sunday.

A guy asks his buddy, "If you could have any car out there today, what would you pick?"

His friend doesn't hesitate, "I'd take that black and red Shelby with the Whipple".

So see, it's not just Shelby owners. It is simply good to own 'The Rock Star of Muscle Cars' :bowdown:

Van@RevanRacing

stopped by david regan ford and looked at a 2012 roush stage 3 coupe. Very sweet and loaded nicely. My guess is nearly every option available if not all because msrp was $60,600:eek:
Now my question is why would anyone buy that when there is a 2012 shelby next to it; svtpp, e-pkg, recaro's at $57,800.

I wonder if roush used the boss engine or regular 5.0 engine? I'd hope the boss with improved internals.

On a side note and no disrepect towards david regan as it's a biz interest for him but avoid the place. Long story but if i were him i'd clean house. These folks have zero interest in repeat customers..........

shelby

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Short story I was driving down 58 about a month ago. Getting off the main highway while coming down the entrance ramp a Blue/ White Shelby passed by (so I thought). I sped up to catch up to him since I was in a good mood. Once close to him it was a Roush with the 427 stripes and badges all over it. A harley comes flying up beside us and he points to me and his wife is snapping pics of the car. Now were cruising along at 55 and she's giving me the thumbs up and taking pictures pointing at the snake badges lol

Guy in the Roush gives a rev of the motor and the guy on the Harley shakes his head. I look at the guy laughing and shift to 2nd and just wave for him to go. He nails it and once he gets to my from bumper I nail it. By 3rd gear I have about 5 cars on him. Get out of it and a few miles down the road the harley comes back and does a flyby waving like crazy. Get off at my exit and stop at Chick Fil A. Roush pulls in behind me and ask how much HP does that car make. Told him it will keep the Roush in check. Says it's a 2010 and he paid 62K for it. There is no way that car would run with mine when it was stock.

Looking the car over closely it was taking a lot of the stripe cue from the Shelby. The stripe down the center of the car resembled the Shelby going down the road. Hood was similiar but some of the stuff just looked ricer on it. The window louvers and front and rear air diffuser just make the car looks like it's trying out for the next Fast and Furious movie.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Ok I'll go against the grain.

Stock to stock the cars are virtually equal. Looks are subjective to each person I love the way both look. Wife likes the Shelby loves the Roush. Performance pretty much dead heat with a little nod going to the Roush in stock form. Limited numbers goes to the Roush. Price yes you can gen X-Plan on the GT500 although finding a dealer that does X-plan is a little harder. I'm not sure if there are any incentives on the Roush. The Roush has a better blower and for the "clutch pedals make my ovaries hurt" crowd there is an automatic. Personally I think they are both FANTASTIC cars and would happily own either of them. Leaving them stock it's a toss up for me, modified I choose the Shelby just simply because of the forged pistons as I am a HP nut and would want the 750hp FRPP kit. I've spoken with my wife and she's kinda wanting a fun car also so we were actually kicking around the idea of a Roush because it will remain mostly stock and just fun to drive while being a little different. So that almost makes it sound like a chick car huh? That's a pretty bad a$$ chick car then.

On the price thing anybody that is going in to buy a 55-65k TOY isn't really worried about 2,000$ most of the time. As far as mods go Shelby owner is going to fork over 3k+ for a new blower and the Roush owner will fork over 3k+ for a new short block and it's even once again. Cars are very similar some people pay a premium for a limited production," someone's name on it" car. Both can be said on both camps Shelby and Roush. For my older brother Shelby pulls up a lot of emotion and feelings of pride. For my wife's parents they would really identify with the name Roush(big NASCAR fans). For me Super Cobra Jet or Boss 302 instantly puts a huge smile on my face.

Last edited:

F8L SN8K

Established Member
To be 100% honest if I was to go to a dealer and pluck down cash for a brand new mustang right this moment. I'd buy a Boss 302 with Recaros bring my wrenches with me to pull out exhaust plates and throw the standard key in the glove box before I ever started it up for the first time. That is the car to own. Heritage, emotion, manly with over compensation and just functional. What it needs it has.

raycutchins

Established Member
Stock for stock the Roush wins the drag race every time. I had a '08 427R and killed every Shelby that lined up against me. Why was this? Because the Roush come with the antihop kit stock and the suspension is setup unlike a stock GT. Now when you start talking about the dollars that it will take to make the Roush able to keep up with a modified Shelby now thats a different story. The 4.6 is a potent engine as I had long tubes, cai, and replaced the stock supercharger with the TVS and made 535 rwhp/486 rwtq. The car ran 11.4 and could have been better if I had more track time and stickier tires. The transmission is rated at 386 ft lb tq. I knew that I would have to upgrade the engine and tranmission to handle more horsepower than this. By the way, I got more compliments about that Roush than I ever had with the Shelby. I have had people flag me down on interstates, walk up while I was pumping gas, etc. I am glad that I don't get that kind of attention from the Shelby and she is by daily driver. Just an 'ol beater that makes 715 rwhp and 670 rwtq on the street tune. Here is a video of when I had my 427R.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VenxHm6K7aA"]‪2008 Roush 427R Mustang 3‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

Also anything Roush can be found at FnSweet.com | The Independent Community Of ROUSH Enthusiasts

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
To be 100% honest if I was to go to a dealer and pluck down cash for a brand new mustang right this moment. I'd buy a Boss 302 with Recaros bring my wrenches with me to pull out exhaust plates and throw the standard key in the glove box before I ever started it up for the first time. That is the car to own. Heritage, emotion, manly with over compensation and just functional. What it needs it has.

^ This, but that wasn't an option from the OP, and why I didn't suggest it.

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
Stock for stock the Roush wins the drag race every time. I had a '08 427R and killed every Shelby that lined up against me. Why was this? Because the Roush come with the antihop kit stock and the suspension is setup unlike a stock GT. Now when you start talking about the dollars that it will take to make the Roush able to keep up with a modified Shelby now thats a different story. The 4.6 is a potent engine as I had long tubes, cai, and replaced the stock supercharger with the TVS and made 535 rwhp/486 rwtq. The car ran 11.4 and could have been better if I had more track time and stickier tires. The transmission is rated at 386 ft lb tq. I knew that I would have to upgrade the engine and tranmission to handle more horsepower than this. By the way, I got more compliments about that Roush than I ever had with the Shelby. I have had people flag me down on interstates, walk up while I was pumping gas, etc. I am glad that I don't get that kind of attention from the Shelby and she is by daily driver. Just an 'ol beater that makes 715 rwhp and 670 rwtq on the street tune. Here is a video of when I had my 427R.

So you no longer have the Roush, you have a Shelby. That says volumes right there.

However, if you plan on buying a car and not doing anything to it, I think the new roush and a shelby gt500 is a good comparision or cross shopping competitors.

Anyone have specifications... 1/4 mile times for 2012 GT500 2012 Stage 3 Roush? Skid pad numbers, braking distances, etc?

I'm curious to see how close they are and if the Roush edges it out. I'm thinking stock for stock the Stage 3 Roush would win.

This is the major hick up I see in Roush Mustangs. On a show room floor brand new, it's an easy sell, but 2 years down the line, a used roush falls because of this. Most that buy used mustangs plan on doing some modifications or think about what modifications they can do to it. Roush is already modified and doesn't have the modification potential as previous SVT and Shelby gt500's offer. That's where the Roush shows it's colors and the shelby becomes the better long term decision.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread