Saleen S281E vs 03 Cobra, who in their right mind would buy a saleen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

87FOXGT

Established Member
hey guys just thought i would bring this up because i had a question that popped up in my mind....

ok some of you guys say the s281e is more effiecient at making power because of the twin screw design on the blower. While this may be true, is there honestly any difference between an 03 cobra putting down say 450 at the wheels, and a 281e doing the same? I got the impression that some folks think the s281e's 450 was 'better' then a 03 cobra's 450 rwhp. How could this be the case? I think the bottom line is 450 rwhp pushing the back wheels is all the same regardless of whats going on in the drivetrain to get it there. So im failing to see how the s281e efficiency argument can hold up here. Now of course maybe the E is lighter, or it hooks better, but if all things were equal, i dont think its worth buying the E for 60k+ when oyu can easily achieve the same performance and looks for wayyyy less. Anyone disagree? :)

hj16

Established Member
87FOXGT - True 450rwhp means 450rwhp. They will be the same at first, but the Cobra will build heat much faster and lose more power quicker than the E will because of its more efficient blower.

I hope I answered your question.

ltv1

Established Member
I haven't been following this thread, it popped up in my mail box. The fact that my Cobra will "heat up faster" is my incentive to throw the humongoid amt. of extra cash at a Saleen...ahh..OK,
I guess.

87FOXGT

Established Member
Hmm interesting. Thats kind of tough to compare though. A 2v with a twin screw against a 4v with the eaton. i would think they would still be pretty similar dyno wise ???

hj16

Established Member
The fact that my Cobra will "heat up faster" is my incentive to throw the humongoid amt. of extra cash at a Saleen...ahh..OK,
He asked a question and I answered it, whats the problem with that? I didn't say that it made the Saleen worth the extra Cash.

JackisBack

Established Member
Wow! This thread went crazy! I don't even quite know the point! I see some misinformation here that I can shed some light on. I would tend to agree that the sticker on a Saleen is way out there. Fact is when the Cobra came out it really hurt Saleen sales so guess what? A smart buyer doesn't pay full price. 6 mos ago I had the opportunity to buy an '02 281SC with a 52k tag for 42k minus the 3k rebate....convertible. Now you do the math vs the Cobra. Also..who says you have to buy brand new. Yes, the sticker on the Saleen is high. I consider it to be very fair on the Cobra. After the initial Saleen owner puts a few k miles on it on weekends, then sells, and takes it up the rear...you'll find the price now is very good and then your resale will be terrific.

The guys who say they would never own one at full retail are smart. The real price you pay is very different tho if you do your homework. Take a look at these two cars below. Only 2k difference in price, 1 model yr, 2k miles. I ask everyone I see...Which would you rather have? Hands down...most say they'd pay up to 10k more just for the looks..(Ferrarri type, never seen one before, etc.) Guess how many thumbs up I have received in the yellow bird? That's right...ZERO. Now everybody...How many in the cute red one. TONS!! If I were single :) ..... can u imagine how many women want to crawl in the red one?? They already do!

It's not just about hp for some people. I don't have any time slips for you but I have run them against each other from 10-80 or so and the Saleen doesn't need to apologize. Stock/stock. Nose on the Cobras bumper. Weird thing tho the Cobra has seat of the pants more feel down low with the big torque so I thought it would really blister the Saleen. The rpms really kick at the hi end better on the Saleen for a big surge right before shifts which, I guess, makes up the difference. .

I couldn't make up my mind which to get so I solved that problem. True cost of a car is COST-RESALE. Remember that. In my case the cost should be about the same for each. Each has its own advantages. No doubt I like the brute torque in the Cobra and that is the main thing I like about it. The ride in the Saleen is much better as is, handling, comfort (seats much better to me..don't like the extreme angle on the sides of the seat on the Cobra and no I am not a big fat dude), shifter...by a long shot, clutch, and most of all I love the looks and the MASS of ATTENTION the car gets.

So don't say anyone is stupid for buying either car. I like them both. They both have their place. You can feel free to call someone who pays full sticker for a Saleen anything you want including stupid.

CobraSaleen1.jpg

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Put it this way.. After owning one, I will never own another. I don't care how fast it is or how good it looks. Saleen's service strait up sucks and noone can fix their shit when it's broken.

JackisBack

Established Member
Bassin

Do you have a thread somewhere that you explained what happened with your Saleen? I wouldn't mind seeing it. I know of another guy in Cal who had a similar experience as you. I wouldn't mind knowing what happened and how Ford/Saleen finally wound up fixing the problem. I think the guy in Cal had his catch on fire or something. Sounds like they are rare circumstances but still each one I have heard of was rather nasty. You don't have to vent this in the thread. A pm or email would be ok if u feel like it.

87FOXGT

Established Member
its aliiive its aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!!! :kaboom: :bash: :thumbsup: :p :burn: :bored:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Speaking of Saleens, I was at a cruise last Sunday night and a young kid pulled in with a maroon Saleen Speedster. I think it was a S281-E. It was, however, absolutely gorgeous. You should have seen the people flock to it with eyes wide and mouth open. It was actually parked right behind me. I love my '03 Cobra, but this car was in a whole different class in my opinion. Absolutely sweet! And I think it only had 200 miles on the odometer.

Wild Bill

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Speaking of Saleens, I was at a cruise last Sunday night and a young kid pulled in with a maroon Saleen Speedster. I think it was a S281-E. It was, however, absolutely gorgeous. You should have seen the people flock to it with eyes wide and mouth open. It was actually parked right behind me. I love my '03 Cobra, but this car was in a whole different class in my opinion. Absolutely sweet! And I think it only had 200 miles on the odometer.
Personally I like the looks of the Cobra better.The flashy cars look better for a while,but they get old looking fast.A perfect example would be the fox mustangs.The old 5.0 saleens look ridiculos now.Compare that to a nice clean 5.0 Lx,wich is still a nice looking car.Your Cobra much like a fine wine will actually improve with age.The Saleen is already starting to show its age.:coolman:

Wild Bill

Established Member
By the way CobraBob,you should already know this as the color you have is the perfect example.It may not be as flashy but really grows on you.I love that mineral gray.Some chrome wheels on your ride would really set it off,but not be too much.;-)

jonas

Established Member
if i really wanted saleen looks and had a big fun budget I would get a saleen cobra over a s281e, just my opinion, and its cheaper I believe as well.

Once thing is for sure is anything racecraft is going to be dumped on ebay, gimmie my griggs with a side of MM.

for my budget I can squeak by with a cobra and have plenty left for a 500 a week fun budget for a car :) Expect a kenne bell or works under my hood before winter

WhiteT3

White Snake
Established Member
Bottom line. You just can't buy a car with more power for less money than the 03/04 Cobra. Yes the Saleen looks nice, but that counts for very little. There are alot of nice looking cars out there. More HP for the $$ is what we want, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread