Samsung 4K Curved LED TV

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Pointless having 4k TV when 90% of the stuff is still being broadcast in 720P. I'll stick to my VT60. Is there really any upsides to having it curve?

IMO it looks like the viewing angles from the sides would suck.

Zemedici

Established Member
They're nice, and the curve helps the picture immensely, improves image depth, as well as reduces glare. My girl works at Best Buy selling them, so we'll be snagging one up soon. :beer:

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
They are decently priced now I think, the one I looked at was a 55 inch curved 4K 120hz LED unit on sale for $2350 Canadian Dollars so probably $2k USD.

Just curious about the curved screen aspect versus flat screen and the upconverting of resolution to near 4K quality for shows, movies, etc.

Zemedici

Established Member
Pointless having 4k TV when 90% of the stuff is still being broadcast in 720P. I'll stick to my VT60. Is there really any upsides to having it curve?

they're not curved that drastically, its like a 10% curve if even that. And its for movies/gaming/etc as well, not to mention broadcasters will soon up the ante on resolution to keep up with demand i'm sure.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
they're not curved that drastically, its like a 10% curve if even that. And its for movies/gaming/etc as well, not to mention broadcasters will soon up the ante on resolution to keep up with demand i'm sure.

Not for a while, current bandwidth can barely support 1080p.

And with the caps ISP's are imposing on customers, watch 4k for a day and BOOM you get a cease and desist letter.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
We're a couple years off from having true 4K support for consumers. There's some YouTube and Vimeo stuff out there right now, but nothing major is being broadcast anywhere near 4k resolution.

The biggest issue right now as mentioned is our compression codecs. 4K is massive to handle both from a production and a broadcast standpoint. Until compression codecs and broadband speeds catch up, 4K isn't going to be widely used.

Those items make owning a 4K television pretty pointless right now. You end up getting inferior picture quality when viewing a 720 or 1080 feed. Yes, you're kind of "future proofing" but it's not really necessary and you're getting in while prices are still high. Wait a year or so and prices will come down further and we'll be closer to a 4k broadcast reality.

oldmodman

Established Member
I looked at one for quite a while in a fairly well set up viewing room and there was always some spot on the screen that gave off an annoying reflection.

Take a look at the Sony 4K. It looked amazing and had the best up-scaler from 1080p to 4K I have ever seen. The uprezzed picture looked great.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member

agreed and i looked at one at bestbuy and i think the curve is actually a negative

peteypab2133

Established Member
I sit in the middle of my tv viewing area. No one else helps me pay for the $5000 tv so I don't care what the viewing angle is for others. On a side note I'm waiting for the OLED tv from LG landing soon in 4K.

Recent reviews have shown 2013 models in OLED out perform even the best of 2014 LED 4k tvs. I have a Sony FdR ax100 but refuse to blow money on an led. I love my old plasma and will do a 4K LG OLED when available. Too bad they plan to start at $7700

Rct851

Established Member
I sit in the middle of my tv viewing area. No one else helps me pay for the $5000 tv so I don't care what the viewing angle is for others. On a side note I'm waiting for the OLED tv from LG landing soon in 4K.

Recent reviews have shown 2013 models in OLED out perform even the best of 2014 LED 4k tvs. I have a Sony FdR ax100 but refuse to blow money on an led. I love my old plasma and will do a 4K LG OLED when available. Too bad they plan to start at $7700
Lol that what I'm talking about. I'll be sitting dead center in my living room so zero ****s given

peteypab2133

Established Member
That's why if you buy a curved tv anything 55 inches and under is useless. 65-80 inches is the target. Allows for about a 120 inch sofa and 3-5 viewers

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
I looked at one for quite a while in a fairly well set up viewing room and there was always some spot on the screen that gave off an annoying reflection.

Take a look at the Sony 4K. It looked amazing and had the best up-scaler from 1080p to 4K I have ever seen. The uprezzed picture looked great.

Thanks will do.

I think most everyone else missed the point of my post asking about the upscaling feature, i'm not talking about actual 4K feed but how well the upscaling is compared to a true 4K picture. Is it worth it or not? Guess i'll buy one and if I am not happy take it back.

TK Doom

Established Member
4k is a chicken and the egg dilemma.

As for size, like someone said, its pointless to have anything smaller than a 65".

As soon as they decide on a 4k Bluray format, that may be coming, its not worth it. Not enough people own 4k for it to matter.

As far as Sony and their proprietary delivery system, well, don't see why anyone would support that.

Users who are viewing this thread