Samsung 4K Curved LED TV

Speedwagon

Established Member
Anyone have one, thoughts versus a flat screen LED upconverting 4K TV?

TrippyEyes.gif

Zemedici

Established Member
I sit in the middle of my tv viewing area. No one else helps me pay for the $5000 tv so I don't care what the viewing angle is for others. On a side note I'm waiting for the OLED tv from LG landing soon in 4K.

Recent reviews have shown 2013 models in OLED out perform even the best of 2014 LED 4k tvs. I have a Sony FdR ax100 but refuse to blow money on an led. I love my old plasma and will do a 4K LG OLED when available. Too bad they plan to start at $7700

best post in this thread.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Pointless having 4k TV when 90% of the stuff is still being broadcast in 720P. I'll stick to my VT60. Is there really any upsides to having it curve?

IMO it looks like the viewing angles from the sides would suck.

Ditto. Love my 65VT60. When I get my new house and the OLED prices become more reasonable I'll make the switch, but I'll hang onto this one until it dies.

As for the curve, it's just gimmick at this point. Most expert reviewers still want flat screens. My concern is how tickers and scrollers will look on them.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
These 4k tv's are driving the existing prices so low...I was look at an 70" Visio for $1400.

Doesn't NetFlix offer 4k movies?

Trbulnt

Established Member
I have a 78" curved 4K Samsung and my honest opinion is to wait for the prices to drop. Yes the picture quality is amazing and everyone that sees the tv is blown away by the images, the lack of 4k content is the main reason I say wait. Yes Netflix has a few movies (like 5) and YouTube has some uhd content. BlueRays look great but they looked great on my 52" lcd also. Supposedly as of next year bluerays will be 4k content.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I looked at one for quite a while in a fairly well set up viewing room and there was always some spot on the screen that gave off an annoying reflection.

Take a look at the Sony 4K. It looked amazing and had the best up-scaler from 1080p to 4K I have ever seen. The uprezzed picture looked great.

I've sort of boycotted Sony as of late but have to admit, their 4k TV is very impressive! Saw a 65" XBR in a Sony outlet store and very impressed with the picture/up-scaler quality, for an LED TV. Still, I'm going to hope my ZT60 lives long enough for the OLED to become mainstream. LED/LCD TV's just have too many compromises.

TommyJ

Established Member
The VT/ZT 60 are the best panels produced since the 9.5 generation Kuros and are among the best panels ever created. Nothing can touch their black levels, except tweaked pioneer 101fd/600m or OLEDs. For the money, they really can't beat (paid $2000 for my 65" VT).

Value Electronics does a flat panel shootout each year using professional calibrators and they didn't even bother comparing the calibrated LCD/LEDs (including the Sony 4k) in the demonstration, because they couldn't compete with the plasmas. It's a shame that the technology is dead, because I find most lcds unwatchable. OLED is promising, but too expensive at this point.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
The VT/ZT 60 are the best panels produced since the 9.5 generation Kuros and are among the best panels ever created. Nothing can touch their black levels, except tweaked pioneer 101fd/600m or OLEDs. For the money, they really can't beat (paid $2000 for my 65" VT).

Value Electronics does a flat panel shootout each year using professional calibrators and they didn't even bother comparing the calibrated LCD/LEDs (including the Sony 4k) in the demonstration, because they couldn't compete with the plasmas. It's a shame that the technology is dead, because I find most lcds unwatchable. OLED is promising, but too expensive at this point.

I have had 4 Panasonic plasmas (currently 3 including a 65VT60) and couldn't agree more. OLED will have the best of both worlds and be the ultimate in TV's once they get the color accuracy nailed down and the prices fall.

whyxitx

Established Member
The only way you can really use it to its potential is if you buy the little 4k receivers that have pre programmed movies on them and they are usually around 400$ extra for one... I work at a t.v. and appliance store so I see most of this stuff in box and on floor and hear all about it.

That being said I have a 60' sharp and a 60' Sony in my living room sitting on top of each other.

20141001_224857_zpsp9yyr78h.jpg

peteypab2133

Established Member
4k Blu-ray Discs start shipping 11/2015.

Camcorders like my Sony FdR-ax100 already provide great options for home production of 4k.

I can't wait for the next two years or so in audio/video

Aside from 4k/8k technology tvs have been a little stale over the past couple years. I'm sad that big manufacturers like Samsung stopped production on plasmas as well as a couple other companies.

Can't wait to upgrade my current setup but refuse to let go of my "old" 2010 Sammy 850 plasma. Darkest blacks outside of a pioneer Kuro (or a new OLED lol).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412224062.099056.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412224113.871803.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We're a couple years off from having true 4K support for consumers. There's some YouTube and Vimeo stuff out there right now, but nothing major is being broadcast anywhere near 4k resolution.

The biggest issue right now as mentioned is our compression codecs. 4K is massive to handle both from a production and a broadcast standpoint. Until compression codecs and broadband speeds catch up, 4K isn't going to be widely used.

Those items make owning a 4K television pretty pointless right now. You end up getting inferior picture quality when viewing a 720 or 1080 feed. Yes, you're kind of "future proofing" but it's not really necessary and you're getting in while prices are still high. Wait a year or so and prices will come down further and we'll be closer to a 4k broadcast reality.

This! Reminds of back when plasma HD TVs were first introduced. My son-in-law bought one for around $9K, thinking his expensive theater system would now play high def programming from Comcast. He was shocked (I wasn't) and angry when he found out that Comcast only offered a couple of HD channels. It took well over a year before he even started to get a fairly decent number of HD channels to watch. Like you said, we're a couple of years away from the content catching up to the TV technology. But when it does.....BAM! 4K is stunning. I've seen it at my local Best Buy 2-3 times and every time I do, I am simply blown away. If I could buy a 4K TV today and watch 4K programming from Cox today, I would do it in a heartbeat. As good as my TV picture is now with regular HD, it pales compared to 4K. The future of high definition television looks mighty bright. But right now, you're paying a premium price for extremely limited content.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
these tv's remind me of 2003-2004 when i was installing cable/internet for a local company. Flat tv's were just starting to take off. People didnt understand why basic cable looked like crap on their new tv.

With that said, ill wait until the companies broadcast in a higher resolution to get one. And by that time, the prices will come down a lot.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
4k Blu-ray Discs start shipping 11/2015.

Camcorders like my Sony FdR-ax100 already provide great options for home production of 4k.

I can't wait for the next two years or so in audio/video

Aside from 4k/8k technology tvs have been a little stale over the past couple years. I'm sad that big manufacturers like Samsung stopped production on plasmas as well as a couple other companies.

Can't wait to upgrade my current setup but refuse to let go of my "old" 2010 Sammy 850 plasma. Darkest blacks outside of a pioneer Kuro (or a new OLED lol).

I'm not familiar with the Samsung 850. I have their F8500 and the blacks are the best of any Samsung plasma TV I've owned (4 to date). I love a TV with deep, dark blacks.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Nope…..

Guess you never were introduced or heard of the Panny VT/ZT lines. Im a big Samsung guy but picked up a 65VT60 and no other TV will produce the blacks like it off the shelf, well aside from the ZT60. The F8500 which is probably Samsungs best plasma TV still falls short but it is a brighter screen for those that get a lot of light in the room.

As Tommy said, OLED is best of both worlds and IMO truly is the real upgrade. Once 4k becomes more wide and OLED has it for a decent price, only then will I upgrade. Hell, the "next" gen consoles struggle to reach 1080p on 60 FPS. 1080P is here to stay for the next 5 or so years and if bandwidth speeds/caps dont change, might be even longer.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Nope…..

Guess you never were introduced or heard of the Panny VT/ZT lines. Im a big Samsung guy but picked up a 65VT60 and no other TV will produce the blacks like it off the shelf, well aside from the ZT60. The F8500 which is probably Samsungs best plasma TV still falls short but it is a brighter screen for those that get a lot of light in the room.

As Tommy said, OLED is best of both worlds and IMO truly is the real upgrade. Once 4k becomes more wide and OLED has it for a decent price, only then will I upgrade. Hell, the "next" gen consoles struggle to reach 1080p on 60 FPS. 1080P is here to stay for the next 5 or so years and if bandwidth speeds/caps dont change, might be even longer.

Unless someone plans on installing fiber optics through out the entire US id say there is no way in hell the current infastructure will support streaming 4k media. Even the best connections right now struggle to support 1080P, which btw isnt even true 1080p quality as its been horribly compressed. :bash:

Heck, there are still places where you cant even get high speed web. Lots of places have DSL and/or satelite which barely gets 10mb/s on a good day.

RJ13GT

Established Member
How clear/high res. does a tv have be? I looked at a 4k tv in best buy and to me it just didn't look natural. The picture/video looks like a painting in motion. The colors are too vivid with too much contrast.

Users who are viewing this thread