XM or Sirius

• XM

Votes: 32 28.6%
  • Sirius

Votes: 80 71.4%

• Total voters

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I have been thinking about getting satellite radio. Is one better than the other or are they basically the same? I listen to hard rock and metal mostly if that matters.

pottsy

Established Member
My parents have XM radio in their cars and it's nice, but since they have factory head units the signal is routed through the FM radio, the sound quality is sometimes poor. I am honestly not sure if there are dedicated metal/hard rock stations on XM, there are like 200+ channels (I mostly listen to indie/experimental). Keep in mind a large fraction of those stations are local sports/news broadcasts.

I personally will not get satellite radio in my car until I get a head unit that supports a direct feed from the XM unit, the FM transmitter setup just isn't worth it to me because of the interference. Maybe there's a way to set it up to avoid all the static that our cars have...?

Stang_robert

Established Member
pottsy said:
My parents have XM radio in their cars and it's nice, but since they have factory head units the signal is routed through the FM radio, the sound quality is sometimes poor. I am honestly not sure if there are dedicated metal/hard rock stations on XM, there are like 200+ channels (I mostly listen to indie/experimental). Keep in mind a large fraction of those stations are local sports/news broadcasts.

I personally will not get satellite radio in my car until I get a head unit that supports a direct feed from the XM unit, the FM transmitter setup just isn't worth it to me because of the interference. Maybe there's a way to set it up to avoid all the static that our cars have...?

channel 48, 53 and sometimes channel 47 play metal/hardrock, i think there are more thats just what i can think of off the top of my head

for XM that is

caliboy08

Established Member
i've got sirius in my car and at home. i love it. they have a good selection of rock stations and few rap/old school. theres one channel 6028, that plays a little of everything. i usaully just leave it there.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I'm leaning towards sirius. They have a good selection of rock, better than XM. The receivers are fairly cheap too. Caliboy, are you using a receiver or a headunit? If you're using a receiver which one do you have?

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Stang_robert said:
channel 48, 53 and sometimes channel 47 play metal/hardrock, i think there are more thats just what i can think of off the top of my head

for XM that is
Channel 41 plays a good amount of Metal on XM too.

Okay I voted Sirius for you because you said you listen to rock. Rock is better on Sirius. But other than that they are pretty similar and both are awesome. I know a lot about satelite radio considering I sell it and work with it. I bought my dad XM for Xmas and he loves it. The wireless FM transmitter isn't that bad either to be honest. Just find a good station and there isn't a problem. But anyways if you wanna know more let me know. I'm too lazy to type out all the info right now lol

Wildpony

Established Member
pottsy said:

Maybe this would help (I'm not up on all this car stereo stuff anymore) :

http://www.jlaudio.com/press/CleanSweep05.html

Whiskey City

Established Member
I currently own XM and like it very much. That being said, I'm switching to Sirius as soon as I can sell all my XM equipment because of NFL and Big East sports coverage on Sirius. XM rocks NASCAR, Big10, ACC and Big12 sports though.

The real reason I got XM over Sirius in the first place is because it was $3/month cheaper but now that they're the same cost, it's time to switch.

WC

306Stang

Established Member
i like sirius better. a couple of my buddies have it and i use their name and password so i can listen to it on the computer. i like the channel selection over xm, just seems better than xm. i love channels, 14,15,20,21,and 63. plus if you've got DISH network (satellite tv) they've got sirius on there. supposedly u have to pay for it but my parents get it for free somehow at their house. when the sat. tech was there installing dvr receivers (where u can record tv, just like tivo (sp)) he was like "i don't know how you get the sirius channels. u are supposed to pay for them but somehow u are getting them". he didn't seem to care cause we still got em!!

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Another question, where can one find the receiver mount that attaches to the console and places the receiver next to the shifter?

SnakeBite98

HIGH-REV HORROR
Established Member
my dad has sirius and its awesome. i have been thinking about it for my car also, im thinking of taking off the shifter console, just the part with the shift boot, and then drilling holes into the main console and attaching it there. my dad found a heavy duty flexible neck from a reading light that he uses and can move it all around. i also saw a BMW and the guy had it mounted basically between the tweeter and gauge cluster, that would work really well instead of looking down all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread