XM or Sirius

• XM

Votes: 32 28.6%
  • Sirius

Votes: 80 71.4%

• Total voters

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I ordered the Sportster receiver yesteday off ebay. $115 shipped for the reciever and car kit. Can't wait until it gets here, the local radio stations suck.

A Fuzzy Bunny

Future Banned Member
Established Member
Even audio stores recommend Sirius over XM. I've hear lots of great things about Sirius....nothing about XM :shrug:

COBRASVT

Established Member
I used to say XM because it was cheaper and I figured the programming was around the same. Since I don't know squat about the programming channels other than Sirius is getting Stern, I can't say that any more.

One thing that would make me lean towards XM is that you can subscribe to real time traffic info. If you have the Pioneer N2 DVD/MP3/Navigation system, you can have XM pipe real time traffic info right into the nav so you can see bad traffic as it's happening. That's just cool. :banana:

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
pottsy said:
I personally will not get satellite radio in my car until I get a head unit that supports a direct feed from the XM unit, the FM transmitter setup just isn't worth it to me because of the interference. Maybe there's a way to set it up to avoid all the static that our cars have...?

You don't need a new head unit you need the Directed Electronics $20 adapter that plugs it into the antenna port in the back of the radio. No more static it's great and I live in the NY/NJ Metro which had tons of bleed in from other stations before.

Took 5 minutes to install and so worth it -

love bandit2

Established Member
Clearchannel owns a very large portion of XM, which is why I would never buy it. Clearchannel=repeititve playlists, less diversity, an agenda to make large corporations happy. The only reason I'd ever get satellite radio is to get away from clearchannel's near monopoly on aired radio (which in my opinion has completely destroyed it).

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
Is that true? I didn't even know that and I work for CC. The comany I work for was bought by them a few years back.

It may very well be true, I am going to ask around at work tomorrow. I handle the database stuff and don't know alot about the other stuff.

love bandit2 said:
Clearchannel owns a very large portion of XM, which is why I would never buy it. Clearchannel=repeititve playlists, less diversity, an agenda to make large corporations happy. The only reason I'd ever get satellite radio is to get away from clearchannel's near monopoly on aired radio (which in my opinion has completely destroyed it).

love bandit2

Established Member
Last edited:

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
Good to know. At least they have a plan.

I understand the anti-Clearchannel sentiment - hell I haven't had a decent bonus since they bought us :)

Regardless I like the variety on Sirius better and agree with your "tired old playlists" statement.

love bandit2

Established Member
NJCOBRA10thA said:
Good to know. At least they have a plan.

I understand the anti-Clearchannel sentiment - hell I haven't had a decent bonus since they bought us :)

Regardless I like the variety on Sirius better and agree with your "tired old playlists" statement.

just curious.. what company do you work for?

SouthTexasGTP

Established Member
Iam thinking of getting sat radio as a gift for my GF, But I havent been able to find answer to a question I have, If you guys can help me that would be great.

Since both service's are the same price now, Which service will give u more channles for the price.

Whiskey City

Established Member
SouthTexasGTP said:
Iam thinking of getting sat radio as a gift for my GF, But I havent been able to find answer to a question I have, If you guys can help me that would be great.

Since both service's are the same price now, Which service will give u more channles for the price.

I swear, they are almost exactly the same. I've owned both services (dumped XM for Sirius back in July) and the only real difference I can find is the "Exclusive to BLANK Sports". XM does NASCAR, MLB, ACC and Pac10 sports like a mad man. Sirius does NFL and Big East sports in the same, holy-crap-it's-all-on-here-all-the-time sort of way.

Go to their repective web sites and d/l their program schedule. As far as music and talk go, they're pretty much the same.

Good luck!

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
I beg to differ. Rented cars with XM was easily bored of music. Sirius has a better variety of music for my friends and I. Many reviews tend to agree.

XM has other things going for it but Sirius has a better variety of music and Stern (soon).

forcedLX

Established Member
sirius.

i have a friend of mine who sells components and he broke it down to me. he said that XM has 2 sattelite that rotate the US and sometime loose signal or strength at certain times, therefor loosing quality and sound.

Sirius on the other hand has 3.

he said sirius hands down

SouthTexasGTP

Established Member
With Sport and Talk stations out of the picture it looks like XM will have the advantge. As far as music goes, But correct me of if Iam wrong guys.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
When I was searching I always heard sirius had better music channels. I've never heard xm but I love my sirius rock channels. If you love hard rock Octane 20 kicks ass.

jdogwelch

Established Member
xm

I have had both. Sirius customer service Siriusly sucks!!
Lies, Lies , Lies. Spoke with them numerous times over a span of 4 months. Lied to me every time I called. Luckily it was all documented. Reported to them to the BBB. They called a month later trying asking me if I was interested in a getting a couple months free. I told them they sucked. XM is awesome and it is free to listen to the music on my computer at work, while the honey listens to it on her portable unit. Same account!!
JW

CY98Cobra

Established Member
With sirius you can listen to it on the computer also. This option was available on sirius before xm, that's why sirius used to cost $13 a month while xm cost $10.

I've always heard the opposite of sirius customer service. Supposedly they listen to what you have to say and use that to improve the stations.

Here's a srius message board where actual DJ's get on and listen to what customers have to say. http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/

Y TRY

Established Member
My personal opinion is that XM rules. XM actually has 4 sats up in the air. I would say that the music channels are about the same, although I prefer XM. XM's talk channels rule though. Opie and Anthony are great. Ron and Fez is coming to that channel soon too. Sirius pretty much has nothing to answer this. Sure Stern is coming in January, but he peaked about 10 years ago.

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
HTF does this post keep getting brought up, if no one is posting in it?

I am now partial to Sirius. I have both side by side at work, and for rap/hiphop XM ****ing sucks ass...
Shade45 >

Users who are viewing this thread