Saw a Car Accident: Did this Really Happen?

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
After 34 years of being a police officer, I have seen more than my share of idiotic driving and the gruesome results. And still, everyday, continue to see the worst in drivers.

Blown 89

Established Member
I'm in the car a lot every day and I see it A LOT. 100% of the time it's people on their cell phones.

Last week my dad was driving us to get the Lincoln out of the shop and in a 5 mile stretch of highway we witnessed 3 rear end accidents.....every single one the person was texting. He couldn't believe it. I drive that freeway every day to get to my second company and told him I see at least two accidents a day on that freeway. When I witness them live it's 100% of the time someone on a cell phone.

I've noticed traffic has slowed a lot in the past few years. Yesterday going to work I never hit the speed limit.....not even close. I think it's people slowing down so they can use their cell phones "safely". I learned to drive in Chicago so I'm not shy on the horn either.

wellby

Established Member
Totaled my 2013 gt last saturday because someone not paying attention changed lanes into my passenger side quaterpanel and spun me into a wall, perfect pit Maneuver.
No one was hurt but he had the balls to walk up to me and ask if he caused the accident, thankfully a off duty officer witnessed everything and gave a report to the police

Blown38

Established Member
My wife got rear ended a few months ago sitting at a stop sign. Half a mile from the house. 19 or 20 Y.O. girl on daddys insurance and car probably too. Brand new 17 civic with some previous rear quarter damage. I swear they don't teach drivers ed anymore. Girl didn't live far from the accident so I know she knew the stop sign was there. Witnesses said she didn't even try to slow down.

Thank god my wife and kid were not hurt. I think we were lucky the civic mostly went under the Fusion.

civic crash by https://www.flickr.com/photos/157186333@N04/, on Flickr

Fusion crash by https://www.flickr.com/photos/157186333@N04/, on Flickr
38009771545_baedac4635_c.jpg

08mojo

Established Member
Hopefully better than my wreck. Nationwide (the other drivers insurance) is trying to not take responsibility for the wreck even thought he other driver was charged with careless and reckless and leaving the scene of an accident. In West Virginia the charges designate blame by state law. My 17 Focus SEL that I drive back and forth to work has now been sitting for 2 months. Finally decided yesterday to get it fixed under my insurance and let them go after these idiots.

I'm still waiting on his insurance rep to call me regarding the claim. It's almost been 24 hours, but I'll give it until the middle of next week before I start blasting their offices with phone calls.

Oh shit Dave you ok?? How bad is the Jeep?

We're good, it was a really light hit. Luckily, it was in our beater Jeep--an older Grand Cherokee. The trailer hitch took the brunt of the hit and the bumper got some nice scratches/gouges, but nothing major (at least what's visible from the outside).

We were much more fortunate than you--still sorry you are going through everything with your accident. Hope you heal back to 100% soon!

Zemedici

Established Member
We're good, it was a really light hit. Luckily, it was in our beater Jeep--an older Grand Cherokee. The trailer hitch took the brunt of the hit and the bumper got some nice scratches/gouges, but nothing major (at least what's visible from the outside).

We were much more fortunate than you--still sorry you are going through everything with your accident. Hope you heal back to 100% soon!

Thank baby Jesus it wasn't the SRT.

And thank you sir!

04YellowGT

Established Member
Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Some friends and I were coming back from the bars and I was the DD. A Mustang comes up beside me and almost side swipes me. I back off figuring they are drunk and then I see the light of their phone in the car. Not 1 minute later we approach a red light. No brake lights till the last minute and they reared an old beater F250. To my surprise the light turns green and the truck takes off without a scratch. The Mustang though was toast. I stop and check to make sure they are ok. Its some chick who was a bartender getting off work. She tries to blame the guy that took off. I called her out and told her that was BS and that she almost hit me and I could see she was on her phone. Cops come I give them my story and leave. Dont know what the outcome was but seemed like karma.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
My wife got rear ended a few months ago sitting at a stop sign. Half a mile from the house. 19 or 20 Y.O. girl on daddys insurance and car probably too. Brand new 17 civic with some previous rear quarter damage. I swear they don't teach drivers ed anymore. Girl didn't live far from the accident so I know she knew the stop sign was there. Witnesses said she didn't even try to slow down.

Thank god my wife and kid were not hurt. I think we were lucky the civic mostly went under the Fusion.
Fusion crash by , on Flickr
38009771545_baedac4635_c.jpg
Was probably texting.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I was in a 6 car pile up about 6 months ago basically because of that. Where I live, the main highway, you almost come to a stop every day. 3-4 lanes each direction and if you can drive the whole length and not dip below 50, it's a miracle. Now, with construction, it's even worse. Anyway...

e6gGV17.jpg

Like always, we came to a complete stop on the highway, me in the far left lane. Car ahead of me is slowing and so do I. I was down to about 5mph when WHAM! #1 basically didn't break, slammed into #2, which was pushed into me, #3, who hit #4. #5 was clipped by #1 because someone after causing this accident, she decided to just coast across 3 other lanes. Oh, and she also clipped a #6 that I didn't get a pic of. Funny thing, a cop was like 5 cars back. I still ripped my rear bumper off, and checked for leaks before he walked up to me. I asked when could I leave? He laughed and said, "You're driving that?" Wheel are straight and I've pulled and the hood isn't budging. "Give me 5 minutes." Funny thing, her insurance called about a week later and said, "Sorry for the delay, she reported it as a 3 car accident total, and we've since learned from police there were 6." Clearly they ended up cutting me a check. Paid 3K, drove about 8 months, ignored multiple growing problems, couldn't have sold it for $1,500, got a check for like $3,500. Thanks. :)

Dusten

Established Member
I've been that guy that was stopped. I got rear ended by a heating company box truck. ****ing sucked.

nickf2005

Established Member
I've been that guy that was stopped. I got rear ended by a heating company box truck. ****ing sucked.

It does hurt. I think the girl who hit me was "only" doing 30ish at impact, but it was enough to shove the rear axle of my Sable (don't laugh) forward a couple inches. Totaled the car. I had some neck/shoulder/arm nerve issues for a few months.

I had to pull the car into a gas station around the corner to rip the rear bumper off in order to even limp it home. As I'm laying under the car, PO'd at the world, a guy walks up and says, "Looks like you took a pretty good hit, you OK?"

It took everything I had not to swear up at down about the idiot who hit me because she was "downshifting". However, I just replied with a, "Yeah..."

I'm glad I held my tongue because it turns out it was the girl's dad and he had come to check on me.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I was hit in the rear by someone coming off the HOV lanes near Springfield in my beater '05 Accord.

My sister in law had bashed the driver's side rear bumper in a parking lot, and one morning going into work, I hit something that looked like an ax handle on the road on the right front fender. 6 months ago for the rear, 4 for the front. 87K on the clock.

So I had damage in both the left rear, and right front; cracked bumpers and some RRash.

Guy hits me in the left rear (same spot) driving me into the car in front of me hitting the front bumper (same spot).

Officer says the guy was going 50, traffic always stacks at my exit, so I was stopped. Officer looks at the damage and clears me.

Car is still driveable, although a bit sad looking. Turned my Accord into an Accordion.

Insurance guy looks it over, the back is clearly the other guy's fault, and he got pinned for the front too. I kept quiet, and nodded at all the correct times.

Got totalled out for $7200 on a car worth a little less than 5k.

Always wear your seatbelt.

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
This is why I’m going to put full steel aftermarket bumpers on my 90 f150 front and rear, if they hit me there won’t be a scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
This is why I’m going to put full steel aftermarket bumpers on my 90 f150 front and rear, if they hit me there won’t be a scratch.

Saw this happen once several months ago. Ricer hit a Ford work truck with steel bumpers and ran. I followed him as long as it was safe, but he got away. I thought I saw steam coming out of the radiator, and wanted to see if he'd break down, or lock the motor. Got the plate and called it in.

Truck was probably fine, but hit and run is not.

mustangless

Established Member
I have a dash cam and caught a few accidents.

However, last month I was driving home down the highway. Of course you run accross the people holding up traffic in passing lane. One person was holding up traffic bad (15+ miles) I'd pass them with cruise set. Mile later they come flying up tome and slow down. Repeated this 3 times. They were all over road too.

I thought to myself I got to get away from this person. Look in mirror and they are all but hitting my back fender. Then they jerk to the left, then right, then into the woods. I took off as soon as I saw them start turning. Could hear it on cam but I only have front facing so not able to see.

No I did not stop. Figured all those people he'd been holding up would. I've been in a pretty bad accident and get very uncomfortable when I am almost involved.

Tldr, dude almost too me out with his bad driving

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
We called Geico adjuster yesterday, they showed up this morning and did the appraisal and then sent a wrecker to take it to my dealer shop which is one of their preferred shops. I should have done this in the first place.

lilcoop03

Established Member
Thank baby Jesus it wasn't the SRT.

And thank you sir!
That sucks you got hurt AND the cobra got totaled! Hope you get back on your feet soon man. So what are you going to replace the cobra with? I vote Hellcat Charger!

Zemedici

Established Member
That sucks you got hurt AND the cobra got totaled! Hope you get back on your feet soon man. So what are you going to replace the cobra with? I vote Hellcat Charger!

Debating it, but pops wants me to get a lifted 5.0 truck, and I like that idea for when someone else crashes into me THEYRE the ones getting loaded into the ambulance...hahaha

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
With all these texting millennial snowflakes, I came up with a solution....

Some cars come with collision avoidance alerts. What engineers need to do is when the car senses an impending collision, the car will send a text to the millennial's phone, telling them, "You're going to crash! Look up! Brakes!!"

Users who are viewing this thread