Security deposit: Am I being unreasonable?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
We left the place in better shape than it was in when we moved in. Like I said, we were great tenants. We had owned a house in Ohio when we lived there and in Wisconsin as well. When we moved to Vegas it took us some time to figure out where we wanted to be so we ended up renting for almost 3 years before pulling the trigger on buying. Being former homeowners (multiple times) we took care of the place and always notified the property management when something was wrong, even when it wasn't an emergency.

I don't know how much we are getting back yet. Today they told me the check was in the mail and should arrive by Friday. Our lease was up on July 31 but we had the house and carpets cleaned on July 28. Keys and walk through happened on July 29.

Did they explain a valid reason for the delay? Definitely sounds like they are in violation.

daustin

Established Member
We left the place in better shape than it was in when we moved in. Like I said, we were great tenants. We had owned a house in Ohio when we lived there and in Wisconsin as well. When we moved to Vegas it took us some time to figure out where we wanted to be so we ended up renting for almost 3 years before pulling the trigger on buying. Being former homeowners (multiple times) we took care of the place and always notified the property management when something was wrong, even when it wasn't an emergency.

What part of town did you end up in?

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
As for the check arriving today or tomorrow.

You mentioned if not, then you’d be heading to the management’s office on Monday, Monday is a holiday, Labor Day.

Is it also possible to factor in covid, and the office where the check comes from, they are working remotely, and this might be part of the delay ?

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
I don't know how much we are getting back yet.

NRS 118A.242-
6.  If the landlord fails or refuses to return the remainder of a security deposit within 30 days after the end of a tenancy, the landlord is liable to the tenant for damages:
(a) In an amount equal to the entire deposit.

You know how much you're getting back? The whole thing since they failed to return it within 30 days. I wouldn't accept less than full and I would cite to this statute if they gave me some itemized list with deductions. They waived their right to withhold any amount.

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm an apartment manager here in Dallas. I always tell my friends or family pictures, pictures, and more pictures. I can't tell you how many times renters are like "well that was there when I moved in," yet never said anything or put it on a move in form documenting these things. I honestly pride myself on not nickle and diming every person, but I've heard horror stories of places that do this all the time. Hope your check comes today or tomorrow!

08mojo

Established Member
I'll let you guys know what comes of this. I spoke with the property manager and he said the check was mailed and should arrive today...Friday at the latest. I told him if it doesn't arrive I'll be picking it up in person on Monday morning. Ball is in their court.

As far as the amount is concerned, we asked for them to recommend a cleaning company and carpet cleaner so they can't come back and say "you used an unsatisfactory vendor." The woman who owned the cleaning company said that she had cleaned that house for them in the past. She wondered if we even lived in it for the past two years it was so clean. LOL We have it all documented (pics, etc.)

I was in the exact same situation. Did a walk-through and got the 'okay' for everything and was told I'd be getting the entire deposit back. Weeks go by, no deposit returned. Reached back out to the rental company, "we discovered other damages and have adjusted the amount." It was complete BS and was less than $100, so I didn't care at the time, I just wanted to get back the remainder of the deposit.

That turned into a few more weeks...and more BS...and got the whole "the check is in the mail routine"...and then I lost it. I went to their office and, politely, stated I was not leaving until I got my deposit back: cash, check or bank transfer was okay by me. The lady at the desk said the owner wasn't in the office and he would call when he returned. I simply said, no problem I don't need him just need my deposit returned.

I sat there getting more pissed, but still remained polite. They threatened to call the police since I refused to leave. About 2 hours passed and the owner finally came crawling out of his office (he was there the whole f'ing time). After some talks and still refusing to leave, he finally cut me a check for the whole deposit.

TLDR: if you don't get a check, show up at their office.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I was in the exact same situation. Did a walk-through and got the 'okay' for everything and was told I'd be getting the entire deposit back. Weeks go by, no deposit returned. Reached back out to the rental company, "we discovered other damages and have adjusted the amount." It was complete BS and was less than $100, so I didn't care at the time, I just wanted to get back the remainder of the deposit.

That turned into a few more weeks...and more BS...and got the whole "the check is in the mail routine"...and then I lost it. I went to their office and, politely, stated I was not leaving until I got my deposit back: cash, check or bank transfer was okay by me. The lady at the desk said the owner wasn't in the office and he would call when he returned. I simply said, no problem I don't need him just need my deposit returned.

I sat there getting more pissed, but still remained polite. They threatened to call the police since I refused to leave. About 2 hours passed and the owner finally came crawling out of his office (he was there the whole f'ing time). After some talks and still refusing to leave, he finally cut me a check for the whole deposit.

TLDR: if you don't get a check, show up at their office.

Update: They sent an email today with a scanned letter that is dated August 17 that accompanies the deposit check. I think they are insinuating that they sent the check on August 17. Then why did the property manager say it would be there by Friday when I spoke with him on the phone? They obviously just wrote up a fake letter and scanned it, then emailed it to me. Look! I can back date a letter in Word and send it to you. Anyway, I told them it better be here on Friday or I'm showing up on Monday and doing something similar to what @08mojo did. Oh, and btw, there was a second page to the letter that had a bunch of bogus deductions on it. I requested proof that these issues exist (because they don't) and documentation of the cost associated with them to fix them. Once we do this dance, I've got a lawyer friend who will help. Regardless of the outcome, I've got other plans for these scumbags. I will either get my full refund back, or get my money's worth in entertainment when I terrorize them (legally).

lilcoop03

Established Member
Update: They sent an email today with a scanned letter that is dated August 17 that accompanies the deposit check. I think they are insinuating that they sent the check on August 17. Then why did the property manager say it would be there by Friday when I spoke with him on the phone? They obviously just wrote up a fake letter and scanned it, then emailed it to me. Look! I can back date a letter in Word and send it to you. Anyway, I told them it better be here on Friday or I'm showing up on Monday and doing something similar to what @08mojo did. Oh, and btw, there was a second page to the letter that had a bunch of bogus deductions on it. I requested proof that these issues exist (because they don't) and documentation of the cost associated with them to fix them. Once we do this dance, I've got a lawyer friend who will help. Regardless of the outcome, I've got other plans for these scumbags. I will either get my full refund back, or get my money's worth in entertainment when I terrorize them (legally).

Wow. Did the check come today? I would be furious.

I own 2 rental houses and I would never treat a good tenant like that.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
They'll probably make all sorts of excuses. Lack of staff due to Covid, etc. Keep on them and elevate the issue up the ladder, sometimes that's the only way to get results today.

Keeping a good chunk of the deposit seems to be a game nowadays by property management companies. I had a similar experience in my last apartment. I left the place super clean. I got less than half my deposit back. There were literally 5 pages of ticky tack BS. I could have fought them but said **** it. Bought a house and will NEVER rent again in my life.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Wow. Did the check come today? I would be furious.

I own 2 rental houses and I would never treat a good tenant like that.

We haven't got the mail yet; I'm out west.

The property management company has a rating of 1.7 stars (out of 5) on google and BBB. Yelp is even worse LOL. Maybe I deserve some blame for not thinking about checking the rep of the management company before signing the lease, but still...this is ridiculous.

They'll probably make all sorts of excuses. Lack of staff due to Covid, etc. Keep on them and elevate the issue up the ladder, sometimes that's the only way to get results today.

Keeping a good chunk of the deposit seems to be a game nowadays by property management companies. I had a similar experience in my last apartment. I left the place super clean. I got less than half my deposit back. There were literally 5 pages of ticky tack BS. I could have fought them but said **** it. Bought a house and will NEVER rent again in my life.

Yeah, I told my wife if she wants to get worked up about it and get angry she can do that; I'm past it. I just can't get pissed and fired up about this. We are not hurting for money, but $1200 is $1200 (that was the total of deductions). I'm going to keep emotion out of it and treat it like a game. I'll enjoy ****ing their world up (legally) if anything.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Yup, just keep on them, and stay legal. I would demand a full deposit back as they went beyond the 30 days.

I rented a house once and got fully ****ed on the deposit. I sent a certified letter on like day 31. They sent me a $1,600 bill, the deposit covering $1,200, so thinking I owe $400. I replied via certified mail objecting and requesting proof. They responded saying my letter was too late. I emailed their office with proof of the day it was sent, and the simple math, and told them to check their 3rd grade math skills. It was BS, the home owner had a mini satelite on the side of the house on the roof, that we never used, wasn't even wired, and it blew down in a windstorm. It was like $600 to replace that, $400 to repair the roof, $400 in cleaning, and $200 for a broken tile. After the email of me calling them out on lying about my objection not being sent within 14 days, they never contacted me again. I never got any of the $1,200, but I never paid the $400 either. A win...a loss...who knows, but **** Weichert Realtors!

Oh, and they kept being lazy and not wanting to fix the leaking AC system. It was leaking 5 gallon of water per day. I had a bucket to catch it, and they just wanted me to dump some bleach in the drain line. That's NOT working! That was the month I moved out. So **** them, I moved out and let them enjoy massive water damage. Next renters told me about having to get all new carpet in the master bedroom, they replaced some of the drywall, had to paint some walls, etc. Yup, saw that coming.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

The property management company has a rating of 1.7 stars (out of 5) on google and BBB. Yelp is even worse LOL. Maybe I deserve some blame for not thinking about checking the rep of the management company before signing the lease, but still...this is ridiculous.

Damn. Not looking good sir.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

Yeah, I told my wife if she wants to get worked up about it and get angry she can do that; I'm past it. I just can't get pissed and fired up about this. We are not hurting for money, but $1200 is $1200 (that was the total of deductions). I'm going to keep emotion out of it and treat it like a game. I'll enjoy ****ing their world up (legally) if anything.
It’s your money. Make them hurt! They think they can steal from you make them pay 10x in lawyer fees alone!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm an apartment manager here in Dallas. I always tell my friends or family pictures, pictures, and more pictures. I can't tell you how many times renters are like "well that was there when I moved in," yet never said anything or put it on a move in form documenting these things. I honestly pride myself on not nickle and diming every person, but I've heard horror stories of places that do this all the time. Hope your check comes today or tomorrow!
Yep, pictures are so important. I always recommend not only taking photos the day you leave, but also photos the day you moved in. We once rented an apartment in Virginia and I had taken photos the day we moved in. A couple of the kitchen photos showed a nice wallpaper. Two years later, we moved back to Connecticut. The apartment manager withheld around $250 for removing the kitchen wallpaper. I immediately told them that the wallpaper was there when we moved in, and their reply was "no way". I mailed them the photos and they had no choice but to give us back the $250 they had withheld. So yeah, photos are really important. Photos of damages that were not your fault, and documented. Photos of repairs made by the apartment maintenance folks. They're all potentially VERY valuable should you need photo proof.

supercharged91m

Local 46
Established Member
My current landlord is his mid 70s and during the past 2 years ive seen his marbles slowly fade away. Supposedly he sold the buildings for like 3.9 million and never told us nothing for months. Currently i have no new lease and the other day he didn't even know who i was or what apartment i was in!!! Mind you guys ive been here for 2 years always paid on time and never been a dick goes to show you how some ppl just dont give a rats ass about their tenants

venmos1

Established Member
How about a pre typed up letter at that final walk through, so when they tell you you are all set and will get full deposit back you can have them sign for it. One copy for them. One copy for you. Cannot trust ones word any more.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, it certainly sounds like they deserve the pain they're going to experience. Greed will slap them where it hurts. When these greedy property managers have your money (deposit), they just hate to write out a check and will find every way to minimize the refund. Which again is why lots of photos are really good to have. I hope your attorney friend gets quick results.

Users who are viewing this thread