Shelby GT 500 vs Roush 540RH

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Key here is finding a Roush dealer..Such as Sayville Ford on L.I.
Also when resale is considered, Roush dealer is key

I heard of two stories of certified roush Ford dealers saying no to replacing the motors of roush vehicles with blowers. Ford would not warranty the work so they went to roush. Roush said no a few times to each party.

One belonged to the owner of the dealership who knew Jack personally. After hearing no go on his warranty through roush corp, he called jack personally. Only then did he get his motor replaced. The other guy was out of luck.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I heard of two stories of certified roush Ford dealers saying no to replacing the motors of roush vehicles with blowers. Ford would not warranty the work so they went to roush. Roush said no a few times to each party.

One belonged to the owner of the dealership who knew Jack personally. After hearing no go on his warranty through roush corp, he called jack personally. Only then did he get his motor replaced. The other guy was out of luck.

:nonono:

NYStockboy

Established Member
Thanks for all the excellent answers. The Roush I am looking at is at Sayville Ford on LI. I have been talking with them for a while and got them to a price that I think is very competitive. That is why I spent my day there yesterday. That shifter on the Roush does have a long handle, but very, very short throws. I have been told that there will not be a high horsepower 2011 Roush product because of all the certification work that needs to be done on the Coyote engine. I was told this by several dealerships. I do recognize that it is in the dealers best interest to have me purchase now, so maybe those comments were self serving. Yeah, the 2011 Shelby is an attractive option, with the aluminum block and the SVT package. I need and want the new car for this summer with my daughter coming home from college. She likes to go to the beach with us when she is not wth her boyfriend, and the Vette doesn't seat 3. I will not pay over list and the dealerships that I have spoken with regarding ordering a 2011 Shelby that have allocations are charging over list in the NY area. I have been talking with high volume Shelby dealers in other states that are willing to sell early in the order cycle at MSRP. I have many of the same feelings that some of you guys stated. The Shelby GT500 is the real deal, no questions asked. The Roush is a very nice piece, but slightly questionable regarding resale and lesser 3/36 on the powertrain as compared to 5/60 powertrain on the Shelby. Also, tuner cars are somehow a little off in terms of acceptance by enthusiasts.I have really carefully looked at all options; 2010 Shelby, 2010 Roush and 2011 Shelby. I am going to give it a little more thought and decide by tomorrow.

Thanks for everybodys help and input.

Ken

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
Hi, I have been looking at 2010 Shelby GT 500's and today for the first time I drove a Roush 540 RH. I am thisclose to pulling the trigger tomorrow on the Roush. Car is extremely quick, handles very well and is viscerally totally nasty. Apart from the poorer resale values associated with the Roush over time, are there any other good reasons not to do this purchase. Regarding the Shelby GT500, if I purchased one, I probably would not mod the car, so we are looking at stock vs stock. I live in Manhattan, have a 2004 Vette which I am keeping and will use both of these cars as weekend drivers.

Thanks,
Ken

Buy the Roush if you intend to keep stock, no doubt about it.

Roush is the best factory Mustang you can buy. The GT500 needs some mods to make it drive the way it should have from the factory. The 2008-09 KR was close, meaning what a regular GT500 should have been. Although if you can swing it, wait for the new 2011 GT500 with the SVT package, then you have best of both worlds and all from the factory ! :rockon:

chuckstang

Established Member
It amazes me how many vote GT500 due to its modability when the guy came out and said, he is leaving it 100% stock!

fastlif

Established Member
If you truely intend to stay 100% stock and don't mind your average modded streetcar busting your ass, get the Roush. It is hard to find anything stock in the streetcar world. I'm in smalltown Mississippi and out of 5-6 gt500s and 5-6 terminators none are anywhere near stock, not to mention ls1s, gns etc. A stock Roush doesn't get much respect. Resale is the only downside otherwise.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Thanks for all the excellent answers. The Roush I am looking at is at Sayville Ford on LI. I have been talking with them for a while and got them to a price that I think is very competitive. That is why I spent my day there yesterday. That shifter on the Roush does have a long handle, but very, very short throws. I have been told that there will not be a high horsepower 2011 Roush product because of all the certification work that needs to be done on the Coyote engine. I was told this by several dealerships. I do recognize that it is in the dealers best interest to have me purchase now, so maybe those comments were self serving. Yeah, the 2011 Shelby is an attractive option, with the aluminum block and the SVT package. I need and want the new car for this summer with my daughter coming home from college. She likes to go to the beach with us when she is not wth her boyfriend, and the Vette doesn't seat 3. I will not pay over list and the dealerships that I have spoken with regarding ordering a 2011 Shelby that have allocations are charging over list in the NY area. I have been talking with high volume Shelby dealers in other states that are willing to sell early in the order cycle at MSRP. I have many of the same feelings that some of you guys stated. The Shelby GT500 is the real deal, no questions asked. The Roush is a very nice piece, but slightly questionable regarding resale and lesser 3/36 on the powertrain as compared to 5/60 powertrain on the Shelby. Also, tuner cars are somehow a little off in terms of acceptance by enthusiasts.I have really carefully looked at all options; 2010 Shelby, 2010 Roush and 2011 Shelby. I am going to give it a little more thought and decide by tomorrow.

Thanks for everybodys help and input.

Ken

Jack @ Sayville is a stand up guy. I know this dealer well since my company has purchased several trucks from them. In addition, I know at least 6 other folks who have purchased Roush/500's from them.

Roush is very picky about people changing there mods, aka: tune/pulley, etc.
This could certainly explain lack of warranty coverage on the above post?

G/l with your choice!

NYStockboy

Established Member
Yeah, I am dealing with Jack at Sayville Ford on LI. How is their service department? I am calling Jack tomorrow to find out if they have an allocation for an '11 Shelby coming up as well as deciding on the Roush 540 he has in stock that I originally started this thread about. I have been speaking to a Midwest dealer that has a beautiful 540 in stock and an allocation for an '11 Shelby as well. There is also a big volume Roush and Shelby dealer in the south that has both a 2010 Shelby and a Roush 540 in stock in the right colors with the right options. This is the my net results of really checking out the inventory and negotiating pricing for these cars.

Thanks,
Ken

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
good luck Ken... I'm sure either car will be a ton of fun... my .02, from your statements, get the Roush, its a more well rounded car in stock form

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
NYStockboy said:
I have been told that there will not be a high horsepower 2011 Roush product because of all the certification work that needs to be done on the Coyote engine. I was told this by several dealerships. I do recognize that it is in the dealers best interest to have me purchase now, so maybe those comments were self serving.

That runs contrary to what I've read. And yes, the dealer wants to move the stock they have on hand - bigtime. I'd give it some time if you want the Roush.

Jack Roush said:
We have a history of increasing the horsepower on each model year 427R Mustang, and that should continue with the 2011 as well...However, exactly what the horsepower and torque numbers will be is too early to tell at this point as the engineering teams are still working through a myriad of details on the new five-liter engine.
Roush Announces 2011 Mustang Lineup

The 2011 Roush 427R Mustang is currently under development with Roush engineers who are hard at work developing the 2011 model year ROUSHcharger. Roush engineers are also planning what kind of modifications can be done to the new 5.0-liter engine but don't expect the 427R model to mid-year sometime.
2011 Roush Mustang Timeline Unveiled - Mustang Blog

Tob

breoland

Established Member
let me know how you make out and would love to see either or. I would get the 2011 gt500 and have the svt package and be done. i live in staten island and work downtown in tribeca.
GOOD LUCK

fyi, there is a roush dealer on staten island...but stay far away from them as possible, their service dept is horrible

NYStockboy

Established Member
TOB, I read the links you provided re: Roush 2011 cars. While Jack Roush said that the new 427R would have more horsepower than the 2010, the article also seemed to indicate that the upcoming cars for this Summer would be the Stage 1 and Stage 2 cars, with cosmetic and suspension work, but no high HP engine cars. I realize that waiting for something great from Roush for 2011 would be well worth it even it it came at the end of the year. But damn, this information you provided makes things more difficult.

Hey Breoland, yeah check out whatever I buy and put me in touch with a good NYC Mustang Club. For the Vette, I belong to LICOA, a Corvette club that has been around for 50 years.

Thanks,
Ken

Spectre500

23yrs USAF RET
Established Member
Gt500

THE 2010 GT500 hands down.
Get a 2010 before there gone, Iron Block = Strength, Reliabilty, = Longevity, Not to mention the savings over a 2011
GT500's command respect u just cant go wrong with one.

Hissssss

Fox body lover
Established Member
GT500, Roush are cool, but not as cool as the 500s. If you can just wait for the 2011 Shelbys, they are going to be sick.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Go Roush... or wait for the 2011 Shelby GT350

2011 Ford Shelby GT350 - First Look, Photos and Video - Motor Trend

a REAL Shelby Mustang, produced by Shelby American... not just a Shelby badged SVT product.

:dw: :bash: Wow. You can do the same to a GT500 by sending it to SAI for the KR or SS package. No difference - they are all done Post-title. :rollseyes You must just be here to troll and cause trouble since nobody can be so far out of touch to not know that. Nice Saleen though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread