Shelby GT 500 vs Roush 540RH

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
personally, i would have some patience and get the 2011 gt500 with the performance package. Weighs 150lbs less, better suspension etc. That is going to be the car to have. Roush mustangs are great, but cant beat the 2011 imho.

^^^this^^^^

Shelby-Stang

Established Member
Had a 05 Roush and traded to a 500. Yes any warranty work is a Bitch even with a Roush dealer. I have not been up close to the new body style but the body kits used for the 05-09 sucked ass. I had it reinstalled twice. First by the dealer who had me call Roush to get the aproval because they (Roush) refused to cover the reinstilation of the kit as it was falling off at 4,000 miles. Then by the Toyota dealer (yes, I said it. And paid out of pocket) who has a far superior shop than our local Blue Oval Dealer who is said to be one of the bigger Roush dealers in the US. I would recommend epinion or surf the forums to see if this is a problem on the new ones as they changed molds and deleted components when they got to the next year (2006). Roush has no trade in value greater than a stock GT. Wait for the 11 500 would be my opinion. You can find a local shop to Mod a GT to a superior level than the Roush for just about 1/2 the cost that you'll pay for the branded parts made by others that Roush bolts on.

NYStockboy

Established Member
stkjock, yeah, I work on Wall Street, for the past 20 years. I have been reading posts on fnsweet, the Roush forums, and it really does seem that approval for warranty work can be problematic. That is a non starter for me. I am pretty type A with that type of stuff and anticipating difficulties with warranty work from Roush even though I really want the 540, is a roadblock. I am continuing to look into this, but am slightly leaning towards ordering an '11 Shelby GT500.

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
stkjock, yeah, I work on Wall Street, for the past 20 years. I have been reading posts on fnsweet, the Roush forums, and it really does seem that approval for warranty work can be problematic. That is a non starter for me. I am pretty type A with that type of stuff and anticipating difficulties with warranty work from Roush even though I really want the 540, is a roadblock. I am continuing to look into this, but am slightly leaning towards ordering an '11 Shelby GT500.

Thanks,
Ken

cool deal Ken I'm in for 15 yrs now.

Frankly either car will be a ton of fun IMHO. if the warranty is important and it'll be left stock, then the Shelby is the better choice. If price is at all a issue look at a 2010 or even a lightly used 09.

chuckstang

Established Member
you guys are on crack or don't understand how warranty work works.

It does not matter whether it is a Roush ,shelby or v6.

They (the dealer and Ford as well) will always try to deny a claim or not cover something, they rather you pay for it. Basically a warranty is only good if you car is literally not driveable but even then you are lucky if they fix it.

Ford or Roush could put a 100k bumper to bumper on here but it would be no better or different than the already 3 year bumper to bumper

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Yeah, I am dealing with Jack at Sayville Ford on LI. How is their service department? I am calling Jack tomorrow to find out if they have an allocation for an '11 Shelby coming up as well as deciding on the Roush 540 he has in stock that I originally started this thread about. I have been speaking to a Midwest dealer that has a beautiful 540 in stock and an allocation for an '11 Shelby as well. There is also a big volume Roush and Shelby dealer in the south that has both a 2010 Shelby and a Roush 540 in stock in the right colors with the right options. This is the my net results of really checking out the inventory and negotiating pricing for these cars.

Thanks,
Ken

Service Dept is great

They have 1 allocation, if its still available

The red 540 in the show room looks great!

NYStockboy

Established Member
Yeah, Jack at Sayville Ford does have one allocation so far for an '11 and a car was ordered for stock, close, but not exactly the way I would have ordered one. I just got off the phone with him. He is checking out how realistic it is for his dealerehip to order one for me now with a reasonable expectation that I can take delivery this summer. I will speak to him on Friday when he will hopefully have answers.

Thanks,
Ken

GreggsSVT

Established Member
THE 2010 GT500 hands down.
Get a 2010 before there gone, Iron Block = Strength, Reliabilty, = Longevity, Not to mention the savings over a 2011
GT500's command respect u just cant go wrong with one.

I just bought one for that reason. I would not buy a 11 because dealers will just inflate prices and look what happened with the older cobras with the aluminum blocks. The 2010 is what the kr was last year for less.

09Troublemaker

Established Member
Yeah, Jack at Sayville Ford does have one allocation so far for an '11 and a car was ordered for stock, close, but not exactly the way I would have ordered one. I just got off the phone with him. He is checking out how realistic it is for his dealerehip to order one for me now with a reasonable expectation that I can take delivery this summer. I will speak to him on Friday when he will hopefully have answers.

Thanks,
Ken

Funny, he called me when he got that allocation. And for about 10 minutes, I thought about it. Then my wife said- "get rid of your girl for that." She so honest....and correct..LOL

G/L

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Cars are like buying stocks, bonds and ETF's-you buy the one with most value and future earnings-the 2011 GT 500 meets these parameters IMHO.

or you can be a value investor and buy when something is out of favor and cheap to it's intrinsic value.

yours truly
Graham & Dodd

Ray Lucca

Established Member
The Factory Roush guys came to Cars /Coffee last Saturday with several cars including a 540, they are only making about 110 of them for the '10 model year. They are working on a '11 Roush stage.. and a new 540+. The '11 cars with blowers will be out in late summer, at the earliest. They are also doing the emission, tuning and testing on the FRCC Blowers for the new '11 Muskrat GT, available form Ford Dealers this summer, again at the earliest. I asked if a 100 HP increase, with warranty, with the low Boost Whipple, 5-6 lbs. is reasonable. The lead engineer said easy, no problem, probably more. Sounds interesting.....

NYStockboy

Established Member
Hi, after pricing new Shelby GT 500's in 3 states and either not finding what I wanted in inventory, or the dealers charging over MSRP for 2010's or dealers not being able to guarantee a 2011 delivery, I purchased a new 2010 Crystal Red Metallic Z06 for $15,000 and change under MSRP. Great deal for a fantastic performance car. Although I was looking to keep my current ride, an 04 Vette and get the Shelby to be able to accomodate more than myself and my wife, the difficulty and irritation of not being able to get what I wanted at a good price or even being able to be assured of delivery of a 2011 in a timely manner, proved greater than I was willing to put up with. So now I have 2 Vettes and will have to get a Honda for the family. Thanks for everyones comments as I was considering a Roush and a Shelby.

Ken

09Troublemaker

Established Member
Hi, after pricing new Shelby GT 500's in 3 states and either not finding what I wanted in inventory, or the dealers charging over MSRP for 2010's or dealers not being able to guarantee a 2011 delivery, I purchased a new 2010 Crystal Red Metallic Z06 for $15,000 and change under MSRP. Great deal for a fantastic performance car. Although I was looking to keep my current ride, an 04 Vette and get the Shelby to be able to accomodate more than myself and my wife, the difficulty and irritation of not being able to get what I wanted at a good price or even being able to be assured of delivery of a 2011 in a timely manner, proved greater than I was willing to put up with. So now I have 2 Vettes and will have to get a Honda for the family. Thanks for everyones comments as I was considering a Roush and a Shelby.

Ken

g/l with the vette...I have some Honda Accord company cars that we use---nice cars:beer:

BigDan

Established Member
Congrats on your purchace. Did you try using the forums to find the GT500?
I ask because there's was a dealer on teamshelby selling two 2010 GT500 for $46k marked down from $52k and had an allocation for one 2011 at MSRP so I picked up the phone and had a my own 2011 on order with no deposit all in less then 5 minutes from the first time I saw the thread.

It could not have been any easier.

NYStockboy

Established Member
Yeah, I looked at Shelby's for sale on the forum, didn't see what you referred to though. What else might I have done on the forum? I also was looking at 2010 Shelby's on Ebaymotors and was talking with dealers in 3 states that had both 2010 inventory and a presumed allocation for a 2011. The color and options of 2010 inventory was second and third choice to what I really wanted, which was Sterling Grey with Black stripes. So, I figured I would order an '11 exactly the way I wanted. My local dealer was somewhat reluctant to take a deposit for an order of a 2011 feeling that it was problematic in terms of guaranteeing a delivery in a timely manner. I could have tried harder and stuck with it longer. I am going to Italy tomorrow to visit my daughter who is studying there and I wanted to get this off my miind and be able to dream about the new car that would be delivered soon after I got back, so I purchased the Z06, which really has been my dream car for a long time. I still do think there will be a Shelby in my future though.

Thanks,
Ken

Users who are viewing this thread