Shelby GT 500 vs Roush 540RH

NYStockboy

Established Member
Hi, I have been looking at 2010 Shelby GT 500's and today for the first time I drove a Roush 540 RH. I am thisclose to pulling the trigger tomorrow on the Roush. Car is extremely quick, handles very well and is viscerally totally nasty. Apart from the poorer resale values associated with the Roush over time, are there any other good reasons not to do this purchase. Regarding the Shelby GT500, if I purchased one, I probably would not mod the car, so we are looking at stock vs stock. I live in Manhattan, have a 2004 Vette which I am keeping and will use both of these cars as weekend drivers.

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:

XtremeS10

Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/681828-griggs-suspension-gt500-v-roush.html

That, if you just are going to totally leave the car stock, and you have your mind made up go for it, but I think for the total cost you could have a much better car for much less out of the gt500....

The way I look at it is, basically both cars are already modified, the Roush in even more of a sense, from the factory, so to me, its not so hard to pick up and modify a car I already see as modified...

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Those Roush Mustangs are no joke. In the latest issue of MM&FF, they ran an impressive 11.4 @ 125 mph in the 1/4 in a bonestock Stage 3. :burnout:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
4.6 3v with blower vs the 5.4 4v with blower, is there really any question?

IMO the bigger question would be between the 5.0 11 gt vs the al block 11 svt. The lighter weight 400hp mustang gt in 11 with a griggs(or in this case roush) suspension would be one hell of a fun car to drive!:beer::pepper:

NYStockboy

Established Member
Remember, I am not going to mod either car I purchase. Stock, the Roush 540RH is i think faster and has better handling than the Shelby because of its lighter weight. I realize that the 5.4 has greater potential than the 4.6, but I am not dealing with potential, I am buying and staying with out of the box, from the factory performance. I was really wondering if anyone thought that the Roush would have reliability problems or other reasons not to purchase other than potential.

Thanks,
Ken

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Remember, I am not going to mod either car I purchase. Stock, the Roush 540RH is i think faster and has better handling than the Shelby because of its lighter weight. I realize that the 5.4 has greater potential than the 4.6, but I am not dealing with potential, I am buying and staying with out of the box, from the factory performance. I was really wondering if anyone thought that the Roush would have reliability problems or other reasons not to purchase other than potential.

Thanks,
Ken

Roush is a proven product. I'd wonder how she would do going through the
city streets though. I lived/worked for 10 years in the big apple, so I know. Unless you go upstate or Jersey alot

NYStockboy

Established Member
I have had the Vette in the City since new in 2004, prior to that a 2001 Mustang Bullitt and Camaro Z-28. I dont drive around the City, but rather from the city to Long Island to the beaches and friends, approximately 4000 miles per year. Each of the the above cars was close to pristine, garaged on a lift in a great garage near where I live. The Roush or the Shelby would join the Vette and be used in the same manner.

Thanks,
Ken

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

Thanks,
Ken

The gt500 without the shaker 1000 will be 3860 or so and the 10 gt without the big stereo will be near 3600. Once you add bigger wheels tires, bigger brakes, body kit, and blower and intercooler your probably closer to 3800lbs for the roush 4.6.

The biggest difference between the two will be the roush tighter sprung suspension with less travel. The one thing I heard about the roush is that it can be tough to get warranty work done.....

wjk

Established Member
It sounds like you want the Roush. I personally would go for the GT500 just because you can SIMPLY modify it for a lot more potential. I believe the GT500s and Terminators were detuned from the factory for better longevity where as the Roush and Saleens were over tuned to get better performance. Your talking about a stronger and more powerful block in the GT500 vs the same decent block thats in a GT. I personally would look into modifying the GT500, you can still have reliability with a lot more hp.

skyhighsd

Established Member
If you dont mind resale value go with the Roush, not being a hater but that is the biggest issue I have with them and Saleens. GL

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
personally, I would have some patience and get the 2011 GT500 with the performance package. Weighs 150lbs less, better suspension etc. That is going to be the car to have. Roush mustangs are great, but cant beat the 2011 IMHO.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
Seems like you're having a hard time getting YOUR question answered. Everyone keeps saying they'd get the GT500 and modify it when you CLEARLY stated that you want to leave both vehicles stock!:shrug:

To answer your questions, I don't think you could go wrong with either vehicle. If you like the handling of the Roush that much over the GT500 and you'll be ok with the "sleeper" look of the Roush I say go for it. Roush is a proven builder and you're getting a quality "upgraded" mustang.

The GT500 is an excellent platform that looks great out of the gate and everyone on the road will respect it and it looks mean sitting still. If you want something that won't surprise folks, but will stilll blow their doors off the GT500 is it. I think they look great right away whereas the Roush 540 RH looks like a normal GT, but has an awesome package underneath.

The Roush is a more rare vehicle and you won't see many others like it if you make that purchase. It's a good feeling having something that not anyone can run out and buy. You can get the Roush enjoy it for a few years and still be able to find a nice used GT500 later on if you get tired of the Roush and want to switch things up. That way you would've had the chance to own both vehicles at some point. Also, other Mustang options will be available by then and you may even want one of them.

I wouldn't steer away from the Roush if that's what grabs you most. Go with what you gives you the biggest joy/excitement and you'll be fine. I could've got a C5Z when I bought my Cobra, but the Vette just didn't move me like the Cobra did. I was quite aware that the Vette was a better built car, but I had to follow the car that fit me best and the Cobra was it. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

jaystang

Established Member
If you want a Roush...
Wait to see what's coming for 2011. It will be interesting to see the "new" Roush stage 3 with the 5.0 engine.

I had the same dilemma about getting a Roush or GT500. I got the GT500 and do not regret it one bit. I will say someday in the future Id like to own a Roush mustang just to say I've had one in my collection. Then I will be able to give you a good comparison.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

Kewlv8

Established Member
Hi, I have been looking at 2010 Shelby GT 500's and today for the first time I drove a Roush 540 RH. I am thisclose to pulling the trigger tomorrow on the Roush. Car is extremely quick, handles very well and is viscerally totally nasty. Apart from the poorer resale values associated with the Roush over time, are there any other good reasons not to do this purchase. Regarding the Shelby GT500, if I purchased one, I probably would not mod the car, so we are looking at stock vs stock. I live in Manhattan, have a 2004 Vette which I am keeping and will use both of these cars as weekend drivers.

Thanks,
Ken

Is the Roush the 5-speed manual with the school bus shifter? If yes, you answered you own question.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Shifter aside, the weak link is the transmission in the Roush. The clutch is upgraded, but the maximum torque rating for the transmission is lower than that of the engine. At a minimum, Roush should have upgraded to the Tremec 6060 as used in the GT500.

That is the only negative AFAIC, regarding the Roush. As mentioned, I'd wait to see the '11 Hammer/Stage 3.

Tob

earl lee

Established Member
If I were you I'd hold off and wait and see what the new powerplants for both the shelby and roush and will do.

No point in getting a end of the cycle model unless they are giving you a super good deal since you'd have to be a retard (my opinion) to get a 2010 anything when the 2011's will be rolling out shortly and are vastly improved over the 2010 model.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
The 500 will get more respect, even if it needs suspension mods to match the other car in handling. I'd get the 500, and hopefully will be soon.

Users who are viewing this thread