Griggs Suspension GT500 v. Roush

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
I know that the Roush cars are prized for their performance when it comes to suspension. The Griggs suspension has recently come under my radar for my GT500. I am wondering:

1) Will a GT500 modified with Griggs suspension will clearly outperform a 427R Roush or Stage 3 Roush on the track? If so, what level of Griggs suspension does it take?

2) If no to question #1, how will a GT500 compare to a Roush on the race track with a KB Stage III Mammoth or Whipple 2.9 and Griggs suspension?

3) What is the best version of Griggs suspension for the value for a daily driver that is occassionaly taken to the track and drag strip? The GR40SS with watts link or The GR40ST?

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
I'm by no means an expert but isn't roush just special springs, shock/struts and other upgraded basic suspension components? The griggs stuff is top of the line with Koni coil-overs, rod end links instead of polyurethane,replacing the upper control arm for a torque arm, and significant front end weight reduction if you go with a full SLA front end. Be prepared to pay for top notch stuff though.

To try and answer your questions

1) Will a GT500 modified with Griggs suspension will clearly outperform a 427R Roush or Stage 3 Roush on the track? If so, what level of Griggs suspension does it take?

From conversations with people like Van from Revan Racing, I believe so. I would think even the lowest SS kit would pull away from a roush car in the turns.

2) If no to question #1, how will a GT500 compare to a Roush on the race track with a KB Stage III Mammoth or Whipple 2.9 and Griggs suspension?

If you upgraded blowers on the GT500, you would just embarrass the Roush that much more.

3) What is the best version of Griggs suspension for the value for a daily driver that is occassionaly taken to the track and drag strip? The GR40SS with watts link or The GR40ST?

Again, I think the SS kit with or without the watts link would be a top notch street set up. If money allows for the ST, then I'd do it. Might be a little squeaky, but I'd deal with it for sure. :beer:

Waiting for the experts.........

Last edited:

XtremeS10

Established Member
I'm by no means an expert but isn't roush just special springs, shock/struts and other upgraded basic suspension components? The griggs stuff is top of the line with Koni coil-overs, rod end links instead of polyurethane,replacing the upper control arm for a torque arm, and significant front end weight reduction if you go with a full SLA front end. Be prepared to pay for top notch stuff though.

To try and answer your questions

From conversations with people like Van from Revan Racing, I believe so. I would think even the lowest SS kit would pull away from a roush car in the turns.

If you upgraded blowers on the GT500, you would just embarrass the Roush that much more.

Again, I think the SS kit with or without the watts link would be a top notch street set up. If money allows for the ST, then I'd do it. Might be a little squeaky, but I'd deal with it for sure. :beer:

Waiting for the experts.........
I thought the Roush's were IRS but even at that they are built very well for track racing, however the Griggs setup I know is top notch and tested

Last edited:

03roush

01 Roush Stage 3 #106
Established Member
Roush spends thousands of dollars on testing there suspension products and everything that they make, If anyone remembers back in 07 during the Mid America Shelby Meet Roush had the development vehicle out there testing the 08 Trak Pak car and it kicked the crap out of everything that was on the track hands down, it was within seconds of the track record, I am sure Griggs test there cars and suspension alot also, but for aftermarket suspension products Griggs is hands down #1.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I am sure Griggs test there cars and suspension alot also, but for aftermarket suspension products Griggs is hands down #1.

Yes they do! Griggs took 18 months with the r and d on the new s197 mustang platform. I have yet to see street test comparing the Griggs and
Roush side by side, so I do not have any raw data on the question at hand. I do know that Griggs wins a lot of races on track. Does Roush race the NASA series?

The $3600 super street kit uses Griggs full torque arm rear suspension then adds front struts with adjustable koni inserts. With this set up I would imagine that the 2 cars would be very competitive simply because the gt500 would still have more weight in front...I do believe a Roush equipped 11 gt would be following the basic Griggs ss equipped 11 gt though.

With the Griggs SLA forget about it.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I thought the Roush's were IRS but even at that they are built very well for track racing, however the Griggs setup I know is top notch and tested

Roush cars are def. not IRS equipped except for the minor, very limited handful of 03/4 Cobra's they may have touched...I think you could count those cars on one hand.

All Roush S197's are live axle.

Ultimately with the proper driver, the Griggs will be ahead of the Roush.

Last edited:

XtremeS10

Established Member
Roush cars are def. not IRS equipped except for the minor, very limited handful of 03/4 Cobra's they may have touched...I think you could count those cars on one hand.

Learned something new today then, thats pretty cool about the 03-04 cars, would love to see a heads up of a stock for stock griggs gt500 vs roush track pack 427r

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member

+1

Griggs setup ftw:burnout:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
i have rod in a Full Griggs S197 Street car and that thing handles 1.6g, it was so awsome. at Infineon just this Sat. i judt havent rode in it on the Street so not sure how street friendly it is

Van@RevanRacing

I know that the Roush cars are prized for their performance when it comes to suspension. The Griggs suspension has recently come under my radar for my GT500. I am wondering:

When you guys get thawed out up there come on down to Florida for some sunshine and some track time. I would be happy to take you out for some demo rides in my Griggs car.

Griggs car with a novice driver against a Roush prepared car with a pro driver and I honestly believe that after a day of practice the novice driver would hang with and/or surpass the pro driver.

Griggs is that good. There is a reason that the only suspension components I deal in and sell is Griggs. It is simply the best.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
lol, NOTHING compares to a full griggs set up, with the exception of maybe the agent 47 set up. even at that, agent 47 doesn't offer anything for the rear, and i believe that their SLA may be inferior to the griggs unit. even so, an agent 47 car will bitch slap a roush.
roush uses stock style bolt on pieces retaining much of the stock geometry and the hugely inferior macphereson strut set up, while griggs and agent 47 100% redesign the suspension with much better suspension geometry and a much better suspension system in the short-long arm/double wishbone. absolutely no comparison what so ever.

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
GT500 v. Roush

Thanks to all who have commented. It appears that people are in agreement that the Griggs set up is the #1 after market suspension set-up for the GT500, with Agent 47 giving some worthy competition. I might have to take Van up on his offer and go for some test runs in Florida :rockon:

Ever since I purchased my GT500 last year, I have had my heart set on a supercharger upgrade. I am wondering if a Stage III KB with a Griggs would be too much power. Perhaps the Roush cars have found the right harmonious balance between power and suspension. Less is more, in other words.

I want my GT500 to be a Vette/Porsche/Roush killer. I would like to think that 725 rwhp would dominate, but from what I have seen on youtube, there is a difference between raw power and power that can be controlled effectively.

Dave07997S

Established Member
My opinion is that the Griggs is much more track oriented while the Roush setup is more of a street setup that you can have fun with at the track. My experience with Griggs is the setup can be quite noisy and you will give up quite a bit with increased NVH. For those whose cars see a lot of road course work this usually isn't an issue. However, if you care about NVH but want to improve what you have the Roush setup is nice. I don't know if I would consider it better than an FRPP setup though.

Dave

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
My opinion is that the Griggs is much more track oriented while the Roush setup is more of a street setup that you can have fun with at the track. My experience with Griggs is the setup can be quite noisy and you will give up quite a bit with increased NVH. For those whose cars see a lot of road course work this usually isn't an issue. However, if you care about NVH but want to improve what you have the Roush setup is nice. I don't know if I would consider it better than an FRPP setup though.

Dave

From what I have heard the ss set up from Griggs is very street friendly specially with the urethane bushings. I do agree that one does not need the sla for a mostly street driven gt500.

Users who are viewing this thread