Shelby GT500 Goes to the track! (not the 1320') ;o)

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
Yellow Iron said:
Bob,
Yes that's my second diff failure in a row. This one nothing broke, it just overheated and started smoking. My X-mas list for this year includes a diff cooler and better brakes. Lots of brake problems at RA this time, but that's another story!!!!:fm:

Marv Z
Still sucks!:cuss: Looks like you were having fun...right up until the time you got flagged. I'm sure you'll have everything ready by next spring. I've got some small projects planned for the Roush over the winter. I might even do some more stuff to the Focus. I might even show up with both cars at some events. The Focus is just too fun to give up on! :pepper:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
VelociTT said:
Bruce, I just realize that I've been really rude by watching your videos without saying how incredible they are! Oh, and incase you havn't heard this enough times yet... you're a damn talented driver!! :beer: :rockon:

Bo:

I have had some good instructors to thank for getting me where I am. Brian helped me get my feet wet and once I got to the point where I was catching on to the program, Ted took over and brought me to where I am today.

Driving on track takes focus, concentration and dicipline. Once you have that, it's really fun! Oh, and did I mention smoothness? Although it doesn't always "feel" smooth to the passenger, it always "looks" smooth in the video camera. I can remember giving my friend's daughter a ride at Auto-Bahn this year. She's really tiny. Could hardly get her tight into the belts. I was truly LMFAO as I saw her getting tossed from side to side in my passenger seat like a rag doll!! :lol: Luckily, she was having a great time! :pepper:

TRXboy said:
Hey man, not to jack the thread, just a quick question, are there any seriuse solid axle SN-95's on these course's? All the guys you seem to know have an 01/03 cobra...

Yes, Brian and his Dad are wicked fast with their 1995 Cobra R's that have a stick axle!

Yellow Iron said:
Bob,
Yes that's my second diff failure in a row. This one nothing broke, it just overheated and started smoking. My X-mas list for this year includes a diff cooler and better brakes. Lots of brake problems at RA this time, but that's another story!!!!:fm:

Marv Z

Two words Marv; Diff cooler!! ;-) :poke:

Oh, and one other thing. You know, brakes are over rated!!! They just slow you down!! :lol: :p

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Wow, AC...great vids. Hats off to Marv and Clay doing the Termnator and New Edge owers proud. Are those both IRS equipped cars? Damn, you all drive really well. Seems Clay's '01 carries alot of momentum through the turns and was pulling away on ya pretty good most of the time. Is his KB on the original aluminum block? Your vids and opinions are excellent. Love the comparos of your Cobra R and the Shelby. Nice to see the older platforms still kicking butt, but the Shelby is really impressive out-of-the-box.

Gotta ask you though... a "kill" in O/T seems kind of relative... looks like many of the faster cars leading the pack just get plain tired of working so hard. Didn't seem like you could really catch Clay if he didn't want you to. Same with the C5 Z06 in the earlier vids. Am I seeing this wrong? Thanks again. Keep the vids coming. :beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
CobraRed01 said:
Wow, AC...great vids. Hats off to Marv and Clay doing the Termnator and New Edge owers proud. Are those both IRS equipped cars? Damn, you all drive really well. Seems Clay's '01 carries alot of momentum through the turns and was pulling away on ya pretty good most of the time. Is his KB on the original aluminum block? Your vids and opinions are excellent. Love the comparos of your Cobra R and the Shelby. Nice to see the older platforms still kicking butt, but the Shelby is really impressive out-of-the-box.

Gotta ask you though... a "kill" in O/T seems kind of relative... looks like many of the faster cars leading the pack just get plain tired of working so hard. Didn't seem like you could really catch Clay if he didn't want you to. Same with the C5 Z06 in the earlier vids. Am I seeing this wrong? Thanks again. Keep the vids coming. :beer:

Marv and Clays cars are both IRS equipped with MM grip packages. I'm not sure about Clay's block but Marv would know, he built it!

Yeah a kill in OT is somewhat meaningless. But after listening to "haters" of the Shelby for almost a year, it felt REALLY good to pass a crap load of Z06's on track when I finally got the opportunity to show the car was worth it's salt! Not to mention a few other fast rides. :idea:

Clay had really picked up the pace by the end of the event. I think I'm done giving those guys all of my Road America speed secrets? :read: It's coming back to bite me in the ass!! They are on their own! ;-) Luckily for me, I have a faster car in the shop! :lol:

Glad you're enjoying the vids!

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Thanks for the response AC. It's really great to finally hear and see the road racing /OT perspective on the Shelby. Yeah, actually "haters" is also a relative term. The Shelby represents one (very effective, apparently) approach to an all-around great Muscle Car...that handles. Some would still prefer the lighter, IRS-equipped approach...which we may see... someday. But, we better not open up that argument again. LOL. Love the way you were whooping it up on the track. If you think about it...it was kind a like an SVT Family Outing and probably the closest will ever get to an on track comparo. (You magazine guys listening?) Great stuff. :thumbsup:

Yellow Iron

One of the Fab Five Fords
Established Member
Clay's car has a Teksid aluminum block with CP Pistons, Manley Rods and VT Stage II Ported Heads and a Kenne Bell 1.7L running 9psi boost. When I dyno tuned it, it was at 380 rwhp. The blower is at it's max capacity and holding him back. Curb Weight without driver 3550.
My car has a stock 04 DOHC with a 2.93 pulley,SCT C&M Tune, K&N CAI, full Bassani Exhaust,making around 460 rwhp. Curb weight is 3775 with a Kenny Brown Cage. With myself in the car, the overall weight is well over 4000 lbs. (Two Tons of FUN!!!). I would bet Bruces GT500 comes in lighter than mine.
Both cars have full MM Grip Boxes with K-Members, coil overs, full Delrin Bushings and both have 3.73 gears. All mods were done at my shop, C&M Performance.
That whole session was nothing but play time. Clay and Bruce were both in group B and I was in group A. None of us had run all together all weekend, and we were taking turns leading just to see what we all had.
Bruces GT500 with some better suspension and gears would be a real force to reckoned with.The brakes are very impressive and the car is very strong. The performance stock is very impressive and anyone with a Terminator that thinks that a GT500 is overweight, better weigh there own car. :poke:

Marv Z

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
Gotta ask you though... a "kill" in O/T seems kind of relative... looks like many of the faster cars leading the pack just get plain tired of working so hard. Didn't seem like you could really catch Clay if he didn't want you to. Same with the C5 Z06 in the earlier vids. Am I seeing this wrong? Thanks again. Keep the vids coming.

Tom:
This session was just plain ole serious fun :banana: :banana: :banana: Just being out on the track with good friends playing cat & mouse with such evenly matched cars :beer: :beer: :beer: It's always harder to lead cause your drivng out of your mirror when someones on your butt :-D :-D :-D

Clay had really picked up the pace by the end of the event. I think I'm done giving those guys all of my Road America speed secrets? It's coming back to bite me in the ass!! They are on their own! Luckily for me, I have a faster car in the shop!

Bruce:
Don't cut me off, i'm just starting to show some good lap times from your coaching :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Clay's car has a Teksid aluminum block with CP Pistons, Manley Rods and VT Stage II Ported Heads and a Kenne Bell 1.7L running 9psi boost. When I dyno tuned it, it was at 380 rwhp. The blower is at it's max capacity and holding him back. Curb Weight without driver 3550.
My car has a stock 04 DOHC with a 2.93 pulley,SCT C&M Tune, K&N CAI, full Bassani Exhaust,making around 460 rwhp. Curb weight is 3775 with a Kenny Brown Cage. With myself in the car, the overall weight is well over 4000 lbs. (Two Tons of FUN!!!). I would bet Bruces GT500 comes in lighter than mine.
Both cars have full MM Grip Boxes with K-Members, coil overs, full Delrin Bushings and both have 3.73 gears. All mods were done at my shop, C&M Performance.
That whole session was nothing but play time. Clay and Bruce were both in group B and I was in group A. None of us had run all together all weekend, and we were taking turns leading just to see what we all had.
Bruces GT500 with some better suspension and gears would be a real force to reckoned with.The brakes are very impressive and the car is very strong. The performance stock is very impressive and anyone with a Terminator that thinks that a GT500 is overweight, better weigh there own car.

Marv Z

Marv:
Thanks for sorting up my car so I can hang with my track buds :p :p :p
Also, thanks for the ride along... everytime I want to shave a few seconds off the lap timer I just hop in the car with Marv for a ride along :D

I think I have just as many smiles listening to Bruces giggle as watching the video :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Thanks for the specs, Marv. Very interesting. Some serious track-dedicated Cobras you're running. As an '01 driver I'm thrilled to see how much Clay was getting out of his New Edge...especially with a 80+ hp deficit. Maybe you shouldn't let him have any more HP...could be dangerous. Seems like his lighter weight was helping him keep a lot of momentum through the corners, with maybe a bit less potential plow going in. A fantastic display of driving on the Edge...so to speak. Fun watching you guys switching leads and AC's reaction to all the fun.

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
Thanks for the specs, Marv. Very interesting. Some serious track-dedicated Cobras you're running. As an '01 driver I'm thrilled to see how much Clay was getting out of his New Edge...especially with a 80+ hp deficit. Maybe you shouldn't let him have any more HP...could be dangerous. Seems like his lighter weight was helping him keep a lot of momentum through the corners, with maybe a bit less potential plow going in. A fantastic display of driving on the Edge...so to speak. Fun watching you guys switching leads and AC's reaction to all the fun.

Tom:
Marv and I will be looking for a some ponies this winter :read: :read: :read:
The only problem is then we need a new tranny, bigger brakes ... Where does it stop :shrug:
The weight issue helps me alot holding off Bruce & Marv, but they pull me pretty hard in the straights :bowdown:

2-slow

Say what?
Established Member
Yellow Iron said:
I keep threatening to detune his car if he keeps spanking me. It doesn't seem to do any good:poke:
:lol: That would be hilarious especially when you guys blast past him on the straights!

chuckstang

Established Member
Yellow Iron said:
Bruces GT500 with some better suspension and gears would be a real force to reckoned with.The brakes are very impressive and the car is very strong. The performance stock is very impressive and anyone with a Terminator that thinks that a GT500 is overweight, better weigh there own car. :poke:

Marv Z

how come only 380 out of the kb 01 cobra???? Shouldnt 9 pounds yeild something like 450rwhp :shrug:

Yellow Iron

Established Member
The Kenne Bell kit for the 4V Motors doesn't give the results they say it does. There's been pages after pages written about this on Modular Fords. We went through the same problems as everyone else with this kit. With KB tune, it made 350 rwhp on the same dyno the first time out. We went round and round with KB for weeks trying to correct the problem. There solution was more boost, rather than admit the blowers too small. There kits now use the larger blower.
Plus when we rebuilt the motor, I lowered the compression ratio to 8.7 to1. The stock ratio is too high for any serious boost. Also the car is tuned very safely, so it will last on the track for 30 minutes at a time. It's easy to make big numbers on the dyno or at the drag strip. Try it on a road course sometime. It's also non intercooled which limits what you can do.
A intercooled Vortech kit would make 475 easy, but won't have the low speed torque numbers Clay's does.

Marv Z

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Well, I finally got around to remaking the Shelby Track Outing III video. This is what it's comprised of:

The first part of the video is playing on track with Andrew in his RX7 and Clay in his '01 Cobra. These two cars demonstrate the importance of two things: Vehicle weight and suspension. Weight and suspension allow you to blast through the corners. Giving you gobs of exit speed. Which BTW is the key to getting down the straights, as Andy and Clay's cars will demonstrate. My car is heavy, needs to be lowered, needs stiffer springs, stiffer sway bar and a little diet of a few hundred pounds or more! Then I might be able to hang with these guys?

The last portion of the clip is Marv's (Yellow Iron) ride. Affectionately known as "Two Tons-o-Fun"!! :pepper: We have my Chatter Box (helmet to helmet) communicator on so you can't hear us talking as well as in Damian's ride.

I hope to maybe do a highlight video compilation of everything? And/Or a music video? Depends on how much time I have and how ambitious I feel?!

Enjoy!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9bb117b7-910b-4bf0-b1f4-986c01693540.htm

chuckstang

Established Member
Yellow Iron said:
The Kenne Bell kit for the 4V Motors doesn't give the results they say it does. There's been pages after pages written about this on Modular Fords. We went through the same problems as everyone else with this kit. With KB tune, it made 350 rwhp on the same dyno the first time out. We went round and round with KB for weeks trying to correct the problem. There solution was more boost, rather than admit the blowers too small. There kits now use the larger blower.
Plus when we rebuilt the motor, I lowered the compression ratio to 8.7 to1. The stock ratio is too high for any serious boost. Also the car is tuned very safely, so it will last on the track for 30 minutes at a time. It's easy to make big numbers on the dyno or at the drag strip. Try it on a road course sometime. It's also non intercooled which limits what you can do.
A intercooled Vortech kit would make 475 easy, but won't have the low speed torque numbers Clay's does.

Marv Z

thx, great info. but for tracking your car like the 01 cobra does, wouldnt a vortech or procharger with some 373 gear's be ideal because you would have better traction and cooler temps then a PD blower

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
Hey Bruce, what color was that Viper that went off? There was a tricked out red one at Autobahn the first week in Oct when NWSC was there. He went off as well. I was just wondering if it was the same one. The one at Autobahn supposedly had a turbo, or SC. He was pitted down from Marv and Clay. Did either of you guys get a look at that car?

Yellow Iron

Established Member
This started out as a street driven project, hence the KB blower. It's slowly morphing into a race car and we have been talking about different blowers. Right now on 99% of the tracks Clay runs, it has plenty of power. It's not all about power, It's a balanced setup that gets the low lap times.

Marv Z

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
This started out as a street driven project, hence the KB blower. It's slowly morphing into a race car and we have been talking about different blowers. Right now on 99% of the tracks Clay runs, it has plenty of power. It's not all about power, It's a balanced setup that gets the low lap times.

Marv Z

Marv, right you are. Overall the KB has been pretty good to me other that not producing the horsepower that they claimed right out of the box. The KB does give me great torque on corner exit, pulling 3rd or 4th gear when I could shift to 2nd or 3rd at some tracks. It's easy to get really wrapped up in horsepower and really the only track you need it on (that I run) is RA.
My car just "tuckers out" when I have to grab 5th gear at RA :whine: :whine: :whine:

I talked to KB yesterday and they said if I added the intercooler we could spin up tp 15 psi of boost and we should expect another 50+ hp :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
Hey thats only $40 per pony :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread