Shelby performance oil separator finally listed

rubyredsnake14

Established Member
Coincidently team Shelby website is down but the performance parts finally has the long awaited oil separator posted in their store under the new items section .. Thought I would give a heads up to those waiting for it before the team Shelby site goes active again and they sell out.. Very sexy looking product and priced right at $109. if it performs as good as it look, Jer hit a grand slam!

Snoopy49

Established Member
I would like to see a comparison between Shelby, JLT and Bob's to see which one is actually the best at removing oil vapor from the engine.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Would you rather support a small business man, or a large corporation? Bobs auto gets my vote, and business

mullens

Established Member
I've been following this over on TS. Jer is a great guy, very personable. The new separator looks like a quality piece that purportedly works well. It looks similar in design to the JLT. Kudos to SPP for stepping up to the plate and finally admitting a need for these devices, but I won't be trading my Bobs unit any time soon.

SDBs13GT500

Established Member
The cost for the Shelby seperator is not worth it. For $120 you get Bob's oil seperator with the hoses. You have to pay extra for hoses with the Shelby product. My vote is for Bob's. Plus now you can get them painted to match your car. For my paint Bob's quoted me an extra $25 bucks per seperator. Great prices in my opinion.

rubyredsnake14

Established Member
Maybe I am in the minority on this one but I prefer the Shelby customization to go along with performance.. I have seen the various threads and research on the Bob's product and from the reputable owners of it, I would buy one for my car if the Shelby product weren't available based of of that alone..

No different than buying a C&R heat exchanger from other vendors or buying the same one from Shelby just to have the "branding." Some of us pay a little extra for the same or a seamingly equal product because we like the aesthetic look to complement our cars..

Was just posting the info to pass along to others that may have been lurking on the other sight awaiting this product to become available..

:beer:

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Maybe I am in the minority on this one but I prefer the Shelby customization to go along with performance.. I have seen the various threads and research on the Bob's product and from the reputable owners of it, I would buy one for my car if the Shelby product weren't available based of of that alone..

No different than buying a C&R heat exchanger from other vendors or buying the same one from Shelby just to have the "branding." Some of us pay a little extra for the same or a seamingly equal product because we like the aesthetic look to complement our cars..

Was just posting the info to pass along to others that may have been lurking on the other sight awaiting this product to become available..

:beer:

I agree if the only difference is branding, as in your heat exchanger example. However, I personally will always pick function over form if 2 products are not identical. I know that Bob's performs much better than JLT. I don't know about Shelby's version, but it looks very similar to the JLT version, the exception being it uses larger hoses, which probably enable it to outperform the JLT. However without having offset inlet/outlets, I believe it will not perform as well as Bob's. To me it is more important to keep oil out of my intake, than to have a CS logo on the oil separator. Of course this is speculation until someone performs a test of both of them.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
I wonder if their "Hose" kit would work with the Bobs Unit? I bought a Bobs Unit that is still sitting in my workout room because I didn't realize I had to actually cut the stock fittings off ..

Crowley

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
If you look at the pictures of the inside of the Shelby unit you will see that even though the fittings are not offset on the outside, it's machined in a way that they are offset on the inside. I like the design. I like how the inlet hole is pointing down on the inside. Time will tell to see how it works. If I did not already have Bob's I would consider buying it, but have no plans of replacing the one I have.

Last edited:

rubyredsnake14

Established Member
I agree Ice.. Maybe I am putting too much stock in the boys over at SA but I tend to think that Jer guy has been reputable thus far and has conceded that he has taken point on the project since assuming his new duties..

He claims it will out perform anything out there at the moment.. Can't be worse than the JLT and if it is on par with the Bob's kit, then I see it as a win..

I currently don't have my Shelby yet but anticipate a build in the near future.. Hopefully I will be driving it to Mustang week in Myrtle.. Fingers crossed

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
If you look at the pictures of the inside of the Shelby unit you will see that even though the fittings are not offset on the outside, it's machined in a way that they are offset on the inside. I like the design. I like how the inlet hole is pointing down on the inside. Time will tell to see how it works. If I did not already have Bob's I would consider buying it, but have no plans of replacing the one I have.

Thanks for pointing that out, I did not notice. I think I may have to try it now.:beer:

Snoopy49

Established Member
There was a lot of talk about air flow through the Shelby separator, if you look at the picture in this link you will see that the inlet sits against the top screen. My concern is the restriction to airflow caused by the dual screens, both on the inlet and outlet. The screen appears to block a lot of area on the inlet, not so much on the outlet.

ryan319

Established Member
I wonder if their "Hose" kit would work with the Bobs Unit? I bought a Bobs Unit that is still sitting in my workout room because I didn't realize I had to actually cut the stock fittings off ..

Crowley

you can pick up a new PCV line and take the fittings from that if you don't want to cut yours. they're only $20. and technically you don't need to cut them, i read just to soak them in hot water and the fittings will come free. buying a new one from ford for $20 seemed worth it to me.

shelbysvt

Established Member
Somebody buy this and check if its better than bob's before we all sell our bob units for this one that looks like a JLT knock off.

Snoopy49

Established Member
The only way to compare it to Bob's would be to install it between the PCV valve and a Bob's unit and see how much, if any, oil gets through to the Bob's unit. Then reverse the setup and see how much oil gets past Bob's.
Someone already did this with the JLT and a Bob's, I doubt that he is up to buying a Shelby separator just to appease our wants.

Users who are viewing this thread