Shelby performance oil separator finally listed

mullens

Established Member
Maybe I'm missing something in the function of this thing. There appears to be filter media in the bottom of the can, but there is no airflow through that part. All the flow seems to be through the top. ??

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
The only way to compare it to Bob's would be to install it between the PCV valve and a Bob's unit and see how much, if any, oil gets through to the Bob's unit. Then reverse the setup and see how much oil gets past Bob's.
Someone already did this with the JLT and a Bob's, I doubt that he is up to buying a Shelby separator just to appease our wants.

Yea, that was me, and I am debating if I really want to try it again with the Shelby version.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Maybe I'm missing something in the function of this thing. There appears to be filter media in the bottom of the can, but there is no airflow through that part. All the flow seems to be through the top. ??

Here is Jer's description of the media. Shelby Oil Separator

It looks like the media is in the middle section of the bottom cup. If that is the case, you will have to remove the media in order to empty the cup. Since it sits on top of the valve cover like the JLT unit, there is no room for a drain on the bottom.

I can't figure out how they isolate the inlet hole from the upper outlet chamber. If there is any space between the hole and the screen, there is a chance of oil vapors bypassing the screen and getting pushed/sucked directly into the outlet chamber and out to the blower. Even if they get it to sit directly on the screen, which would be pretty hard with the o-ring in it's present position, the oil would have to penetrate 2 layers of media before it made it's way to the collection chamber. What are the chances the media would become oil saturated and the oil getting sucked up by the blower.

Just thinking out loud.

mwilson6192

Established Member
Well, I went out on a limb and ordered the Shelby Oil Separator (180) in black along with the GT500 Passenger hose kit. And for good measure, I ordered the universal hose kit ... just in case and just because.

I am unsure of the mounting of the Shelby Oil Separator 180 unit. Snoopy indicated it just "sat" on the valve cover like the JLT unit. That doesn't seem very secure. I will wait to read the instruction sheet when it arrives, but surely it doesn't just "hang" inline between the PCV hoses?

I guess I will find out in about a week or so.

14 GT500
Established Member
Well, I went out on a limb and ordered the Shelby Oil Separator (180) in black along with the GT500 Passenger hose kit. And for good measure, I ordered the universal hose kit ... just in case and just because.

I am unsure of the mounting of the Shelby Oil Separator 180 unit. Snoopy indicated it just "sat" on the valve cover like the JLT unit. That doesn't seem very secure. I will wait to read the instruction sheet when it arrives, but surely it doesn't just "hang" inline between the PCV hoses?

I guess I will find out in about a week or so.

I was waiting for the Shelby separator and in the meantime install an Elite Engineering from my old car. The way I installed mine was a found a square hole in the strut tower and mounted the bracket to that. I used rubber on both sides of the strut tower so there is no metal to metal contact and it is very secure. Also with the size of the can and its mounting position it does not get very hot so I believe it can trap a good deal of oil. I have checked already and its working really good. There is enough room for me to unscrew the bottom and empty it. I am contemplating a Shelby one, but once I installed this one, it works really well so I don't know now:shrug:

I have attached a pic
DSC_0003Small_zpsdaab1094.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

14 GT500
Established Member
Can anyone post a pic of the Bob taken apart. I want to buy another for the drivers side and I'm debating which one to get. Zeroescence these things should not be leaking, where is it leaking from. If its from the threaded joint have you tried teflon tape?

Zeroescence

Established Member
Can anyone post a pic of the Bob taken apart. I want to buy another for the drivers side and I'm debating which one to get. Zeroescence these things should not be leaking, where is it leaking from. If its from the threaded joint have you tried teflon tape?

It's leaking from every threaded area. The Teflon tape worked for like 3 days. It gets so hot I guess it just melts away. I have tried thread locker, the hot oil just eats right through it. I can't pull into my friends and families driveways cause I'm afraid to leak oil on there concrete.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
My bobs leaks oil out of every joint. I think it's time to try the Shelby seperator. BTW I have tried everything to stop the leaking.

My Bob's leaked out of the valve on the bottom. I was just going to replace the valve but the original one broke off when I tried to remove it, leaving the threads in the hole. I had to drill it out and rethread it. No leaks now with new hardware store valve. No leaks anywhere else though but I did put thread sealer on all the connections.

Zeroescence

Established Member
My Bob's leaked out of the valve on the bottom. I was just going to replace the valve but the original one broke off when I tried to remove it, leaving the threads in the hole. I had to drill it out and rethread it. No leaks now with new hardware store valve. No leaks anywhere else though but I did put thread sealer on all the connections.

Wow that sounds like a pain in the ass. That's where mine leaks the most, the bottom valve.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Wow that sounds like a pain in the ass. That's where mine leaks the most, the bottom valve.

Why didn't you ever contact me? lol. I would have tried to help. It is pipe tap, should crush into the threads, if able to try to turn one more rotation.

Anyone with any issue don't hesitate to contact us!

Or as recommended try Permatex. I will use this from now on in house as well. I'm at the size where i am able to come on the forums and listen and make changes as requested. I've done customization for customers multiple times, including making custom brackets. This is my side business, and I do it because I love mustangs, so I want to make the best out there to help the community.

And as for the requests of the inside of the Bob's unit, here you can see that the gasses are forced through the media, which takes up the lower chamber, and needs to FIGHT gravity to get out.

There will be some lab style testing coming shortly with video :beer:

oilinside_zps7145968d.png

Users who are viewing this thread