Shelby performance oil separator finally listed

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
I'm having a hard time figuring this out. If the SPP piece is an exact copy? why is it JLT one a better performer? Since they trap oil differently doesn't that mean they are different? I understand that the outside is similar but the internals are different. Isn't that the thing that matters?

The Shelby version has no filter media. Just 2 screens.

mullens

Established Member
Wait why did you put the thread sealer? Also what happens if we have a separator without this permatex thread sealer?

Some members reported leaks around the fittings. The thread sealer solved the problem. This is a case of a vendor listening to his customers and doing the right thing. There's no guarantee that your separator will leak without the sealer, but it sure doesn't hurt to put it on.

Last edited:

Tucker

yes that's my point. How can you claim it's a copy when it's different.
I'm saying they copied the over all design, which is obvious.
If they can hand form aluminum Cobra bodies you'd think they were smart enough to design their own separator.
I did and it wasn't that hard.

I'm glad they didn't knock it off 100% cause those 2 screens don't do squat:lol:

440sprint

Established Member
I'm glad they didn't knock it off 100% cause those 2 screens don't do squat:lol:

Maybe SPP will come on & explain how their "screen" design works.

Bob's design properly brings the blow-by into the bottom of the can so it is filtered next before exiting thru the can top.

JLT's design properly filters the blow-by before exiting the can, but brings the blow-by into the can's top next to the filter without the extra travel distance of Bob's to facilitate condensation & droplet capture, IMO!

I still prefer the JLT & my "scratch pad" filter filling the can to the top. A bottom drain would be nice if on the bottom side, but removing the unit for a thorough inspection & cleaning takes less than 1/2 hr with every 6 mos oil change (<2k mi for my '13).

mullens

Established Member
Maybe SPP will come on & explain how their "screen" design works.

Bob's design properly brings the blow-by into the bottom of the can so it is filtered next before exiting thru the can top.

JLT's design properly filters the blow-by before exiting the can, but brings the blow-by into the can's top next to the filter without the extra travel distance of Bob's to facilitate condensation & droplet capture, IMO!

I still prefer the JLT & my "scratch pad" filter filling the can to the top. A bottom drain would be nice if on the bottom side, but removing the unit for a thorough inspection & cleaning takes less than 1/2 hr with every 6 mos oil change (<2k mi for my '13).

I wouldn't hold my breath..

Tucker

And guys on Team Shelby say they are WAY different...

481601_10151506267707155_435908909_n.jpg

481848_10151506267702155_990369594_n.jpg

943424_10151506267712155_1668954872_n.jpg

309899_10151506267762155_1361217357_n.jpg

It measures EXACTLY the same.

Video coming soon.

shelbysvt

Established Member
This is pointless now because bobs is better than all of them so everyone should just buy bobs lol. When Jay and Shelby get their separators working as well as bobs then we can rehash this argument of people stealing designs but regardless it really doesn't matter when both are not effective really. They just look pretty.

Tucker

This is pointless now because bobs is better than all of them so everyone should just buy bobs lol. When Jay and Shelby get their separators working as well as bobs then we can rehash this argument of people stealing designs but regardless it really doesn't matter when both are not effective really. They just look pretty.

Not true at all,
Steves test was a pretty harsh situation, cramming 1-4 oz's in these in a few seconds time isn't fair when ours only holds barely 2 and no vehicle will see that kind of oil in a normal amount of miles.

Ours is designed to hold a normal amount of oil in the filter during a drive and drop it when the engine is shut down.

What I'm pointing out here is how such a big company we all think is great just plain copys a product and can't even do a good job at it.
It's wrong and I plan on making people aware of it.

shelbysvt

Established Member
Not true at all,
Steves test was a pretty harsh situation, cramming 1-4 oz's in these in a few seconds time isn't fair when ours only holds barely 2 and no vehicle will see that kind of oil in a normal amount of miles.

Ours is designed to hold a normal amount of oil in the filter during a drive and drop it when the engine is shut down.

What I'm pointing out here is how such a big company we all think is great just plain copys a product and can't even do a good job at it.

I understand perfectly. And I agree with you what shelby did was wrong. And they have lost my business which was huge because of what they have done to you and others. But I had a JLT separator and I switched to bobs and the difference was night and day between the oil captured. Though my biggest pet peeve is draining it is a pain in the a$$ unlike how JLT was so simple though with JLT I never had much to drain.

bluediamond

13 Shelby aka El Diablo
Established Member
Not true at all,

You know I bought the Shelby Seperator the first week it was available.
Didnt have a clue that it was a copy and/or significantly inferior to other brands.
I was thinking, hey its catch can, similar to other catch cans right?
SVT and Ford didnt think it was a necessary...but hey, it can only help, not hurt right? (maybe a new topic for a thread?)
Anyway...I was asked to post pics, which I did, then I was basically called an idiot
for buying the Shelby Seperator by the "experts"

Now having to watch you defend your product is frankly, painful to read.
I may buy a JLT seperator as my own personal protest against SPP, and also
to show my appreciation for vendors like you who listen to their customers
and constantly try to improve their products.

Once I do that however, 2 things are for sure.
ONE-I will be called an idiot again for not buying the bobs unit by the "experts"
TWO-I will forever be haunted by the fact that for every year of ownership of my
GT500, there could be as much as a teaspoon of oil that gets past my
inferior seperator lol
This forum is awesome...but sometimes...

Users who are viewing this thread