Shelby performance oil separator finally listed

Zeroescence

Established Member
Thanks, I tried to turn it more but it still leaks and is harder to drain now mounted to the vehicle. If I turn the elbows more they are no longer where they need to be for best installation alignment.

I honestly didn't even think to contact you as I'm about fed up with talking to companies about their failing products, not that you would have been that way I'm just stating my feelings. As far as I know your product is the best on the market, and appriciate it's benefits.

I guess I'll try the permatex and report back.

Why didn't you ever contact me? lol. I would have tried to help. It is pipe tap, should crush into the threads, if able to try to turn one more rotation.

Anyone with any issue don't hesitate to contact us!

Or as recommended try Permatex. I will use this from now on in house as well. I'm at the size where i am able to come on the forums and listen and make changes as requested. I've done customization for customers multiple times, including making custom brackets. This is my side business, and I do it because I love mustangs, so I want to make the best out there to help the community.

And as for the requests of the inside of the Bob's unit, here you can see that the gasses are forced through the media, which takes up the lower chamber, and needs to FIGHT gravity to get out.

There will be some lab style testing coming shortly with video :beer:

oilinside_zps7145968d.png

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
How do you guys like the normal mount vs the firewall mount?

Sent from the GT500

7ONE7

B737 DRVR
Established Member
Why didn't you ever contact me? lol. I would have tried to help. It is pipe tap, should crush into the threads, if able to try to turn one more rotation.

Or as recommended try Permatex. I will use this from now on in house as well. I'm at the size where i am able to come on the forums and listen and make changes as requested. I've done customization for customers multiple times, including making custom brackets. This is my side business, and I do it because I love mustangs, so I want to make the best out there to help the community.

And as for the requests of the inside of the Bob's unit, here you can see that the gasses are forced through the media, which takes up the lower chamber, and needs to FIGHT gravity to get out.

Just a question here, I have had two of your separators on my car since last year. The passenger side is collecting quite a bit of oil. The drivers side is pretty much bone dry, is this normal?

mullens

Established Member

Bingo! Mine had a small leak from the bottom valve. I contacted Van and Steve and it turned out it wasn't tight all the way. I put a little Permatex on all the fittings for S&G and it's been dry as a bone since. FYI Van did offer to replace the unit free of charge if we couldn't get it figured out. One thing about these guys they stand behind their product.

Last edited:

MNCobra

Established Member
i can jump on the band wagon for calling Steve at Bobs if you have any issues...he will help you in any way he can to make sure your a happy camper...he got me a great deal on my driverside CF can...in the future i will be calling him first...thanks again Steve....

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
x2. After seeing Shelby's design, I have ZERO regrets about going with Bob's.

Norton,

WHAT? Miss out on a chance to have MOAR Shelby billet stuff under the hood?

E < waiting for Shelby billet covers for the Shelby billet caps. :rolling: :lol1:

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Zero leaks from my Bob's 8200 miles. It is normal to have little or no oil on the drivers side. I removed mine after 5000 miles with no oil in it.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
^Yea, most of the blow by is on the pass side. There is some on the drivers side though, you can see Vans blow swap thread where his KB throttle body had oil in it, but it's not like the pass where it's 2+ TBS every few hundred miles.

Snoopy49

Established Member
^Yea, most of the blow by is on the pass side. There is some on the drivers side though, you can see Vans blow swap thread where his KB throttle body had oil in it, but it's not like the pass where it's 2+ TBS every few hundred miles.

Wasn't most of the oil on the backside (blower side) of the throttle plates, rather than the front side (filter side) of the throttle plates?

turbo

Established Member
Somebody buy this and check if its better than bob's before we all sell our bob units for this one that looks like a JLT knock off.

Banned from T/S :banana::dancenana::pepper:
why dont YOU BUY THEM and let US know?

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
No leaking from my Bob's.
Zero leaks from my Bob's 8200 miles. It is normal to have little or no oil on the drivers side. I removed mine after 5000 miles with no oil in it.
x3. NO leaks from my Bob's unit.

WHAT? Miss out on a chance to have MOAR Shelby billet stuff under the hood?
I hear you, and I do like the GT500 logo engraved on the Shelby unit. As someone else mentioned several posts ago, however, I'm a "function over form" kind of guy. That said, I'm happy with my black Bob's separator and I definitely prefer its "bottom-to-top" airflow.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
How about the mounting bracket? Did you guys go with the standard or firewall mount?

14 GT500
Established Member
Teflon tape is not really made for automotive/oil use. Try Permatex thread sealing compound from the autoparts store. It works for me.

If you look at my pics from my post I used a "pink" type of teflon tape. It is not like regular tape, it is designed for oil. Its great on threads because if your threads are too loose you can put more on to tighten the gap. If the threads are tight, just one wrap will do.

14 GT500
Established Member
It's leaking from every threaded area. The Teflon tape worked for like 3 days. It gets so hot I guess it just melts away. I have tried thread locker, the hot oil just eats right through it. I can't pull into my friends and families driveways cause I'm afraid to leak oil on there concrete.

If you look at my pics from my post I used a "pink" type of teflon tape. It is not like regular tape, it is designed for oil. Its great on threads because if your threads are too loose you can put more on to tighten the gap. If the threads are tight, just one wrap will do.

14 GT500
Established Member
It's leaking from every threaded area. The Teflon tape worked for like 3 days. It gets so hot I guess it just melts away. I have tried thread locker, the hot oil just eats right through it. I can't pull into my friends and families driveways cause I'm afraid to leak oil on there concrete.

Thanks for the pics. The bobs looks like a really good design. I think it will probably work better than the Shelby. The problem with the Shelby is no one has inspected it close enough to see if the vapour will actually get forced through the bottom filter media, from the pics on the Shelby website it looks like the vapour can take a short cut. On the Elite that I installed, I think the design is very good. The input is though the top and it gets forced into the can where it condenses. The exit is near the top of the can on the side and the vapour has to pass though the side of the disc so it works pretty efficiently. I have posted an exploded view for anyone who is interested. By the way I am in no way affiliated with Elite, its just a product that I own.
Elitecan_zps14073411.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

440sprint

Established Member
I installed my JLT 6 mos ago & began immediately experimenting with how to collect more blow-by.

After several iterations I ended up with these additions inside the can: Laying loose & flat on the can's inside bottom I placed a 1" dia, 1/8" thick stainless hose clamp. On top of the clamp's circle, I stacked 6 circle cut layers of 3M green scratch pad as filters, enough for the top filter layer to press lightly against both the inlet & outlet holes in the can's top.

I used the JLT can's top pressed against the 3M sheet as a template to mark the circles on the green scratch pad sheet & then carefully cut them out to fit tightly into the can's interior circumference.

Without the filter media inside, the JLT's blower end connector would have a little oil DRIPPING out of it after 500 miles. Some oil collected in the can's bottom.

With this final filter iteration, the blower end hose has no liquid oil. I remove the filter pads and squeeze some oil out of each, one at a time using a paper towel. I wipe out the oil collected in the can bottom & clean the clamp.

I re-assemble everything & blow thru the PCV end to verify an easy air flow. Then I simply snap it back in place between the PCV & blower. This clean-out takes at most 30 mins & is performed about every 500 miles for now. I plan to work up to a clean-out with each 6 mo oil change (1000-2000 miles for my Shelby). The 3M filter has not degraded or given off any detectable material after being in the hot can for about 2k miles total so far.

With the new Shelby unit I feel that some blow-by will go directly from can inlet to outlet like the empty JLT can, because, if the inlet only presses against the filter's wire mesh cover, some gasses will bypass the filter & escape to the blower thru the unfiltered outlet. The JLT actually comes with a wire mesh filter in it's outlet, but very little collected if used with it's originally empty can.

I find no joint leaks in my JLT assembly. A vacuum leak here would kill power!

Being an engineer, I have to continually improve things & have been working on a greatly improved catch can set-up. I'll report if found, but I'm fine for the interim with my fun, fun, '13 Shelby!

Last edited:

14 GT500
Established Member
Good post and good idea, appreciate the details. I may add some filter media to my oil separator to determine if I can make it more effective.

Users who are viewing this thread