Shelby performance oil separator finally listed

440sprint

Established Member
Supermarket. The scouring pads are made of very long thin coils of stainless steel, maybe 2mm wide. They are tightly coiled giving an almost springy appearance. Its not really steel wool. Im thinking of adding a short segment of tubing from the inlet to the bottom of the can so all vapor must pass through the filtering material.

I'm going to look into your SS pads. Let me know how you add the inside input tube. I have wanted to add this, but have not been successful. Yorba Raptor on TS Forum added a tube, but he has not reported success yet.

89Saleen215

Established Member
Studying your Conceptual Polymer CC at
Oil Catch Cans, I have questions.

1. Can the Watts filter be cleaned & reused?
2. Did you get the glass or alum & what size.
3. What PCV/blower connectors did you use & hose size?
4. Where did you mount it?

Thanks!

1. They say you can with iso alc...I just did it for the first time and used it on my last 2k+ trip. It filled it up as usual.

2. I did glass so I could see. However, I got a replacement one when I bought it and glad that I did as the first one broke from over-tightening?? Not sure, but it chipped/cracked at the rubber seal to lip area. If I were to do it again I would do the aluminum body to avoid this.

3. I bought the 5/8" hose kit and used the OEM PCV/blower connecters. I was too lazy to heat them up and slip off the OEM hose...I cut the OEM plastic tubing. The 5/8" is the same diameter as OEM.

4. The CP piece comes with an aluminum piece bent at 90* for you to mount somewhere. I took my hammer and flattened it out and used one of the pre-drilled mounting holes to sandwich it between the cowl metal and plastic "tabs"? So it's secured by the plastic "screw" fastener thingy that holds the cowl plastic down...if that makes any sense.

I can say that from what Van has just recently posted - that my experience with the CP piece is that it catches less than the Bob's, but more than the JLT. However, it seems that everyone's experience with these setup's are different. A "real" test should be done by someone...

One other medium that one used is silica balls?? I can't seem to find the info now on the site, but the other mouse trap out there is the Condensator. He calls it the "catalytic separator," but at one time he actually said what it was. It all has to do with how to get the air/oil to separate, hence the use of steel wool or the like.

440sprint

Established Member
89Saleen, did you mount it on the passenger side shock tower? I'm looking at that empty space behind the driver's side shock tower with long hoses to the PCV/blower connections.

89Saleen215

Established Member
No, I mounted it between the battery and the engine on the firewall, but like I said...it's not technically "mounted". I sandwiched the mounting plate between the plastic cowl piece and the metal firewall cowl area.

Also, for those that care, turns out that my experience with the smaller amount of oil in the Conceptual Polymer piece can be attributed to my use of Amsoil. So the oil you use is a factor...so it could be that CP and Bob's are a tie??

Tucker

I had a feeling it was going to look like ours, seeing as how they use our separators on the Shelby 1000 and other shop builds.
Kind of upsetting to see a company that "MAKES CARS" copy a small guys product.
Also the fact that I know who makes them and concider him a friend, oh well.
The hex on the bottem makes it different I guess...

Anyway, were working on a new filter media for our separators and early testing showed good results, we'll keep you posted.

Imatk

Established Member
I had a feeling it was going to look like ours, seeing as how they use our separators on the Shelby 1000 and other shop builds.

Anyway, were working on a new filter media for our separators and early testing showed good results, we'll keep you posted.

Did they copy your design?

That sucks man... someone said the inlets and outlets were different, but I have no idea.

Tucker

Did they copy your design?

That sucks man... someone said the inlets and outlets were different, but I have no idea.

They have an option for fittings at 180 and 90*'s

See for yourself, sure looks close.
I guess if you put a hex vs the knurl you just innovated a new product.

They even copied a flaw in the design, something were working on (filter media) but the way the did it, they're stuck.

Well that's twice our separator was knocked off, I guess I should take it as a compliment.:rollseyes

440sprint

Established Member

Jay, all we want is a "perfect" oil separator to protect our blower/intercooler. Why Ford doesn't care is a mystery! If it was not bad for the environment & if the crankcase didn't need the vacuum from the blower, I would vent all blow-by to the ground & plug the blower inlet!

Maybe put a tube into the can's inside inlet down thru a sturdy, easily cleaned filter media. A bottom/side drain on the can would help maintenance.

The convenience of your mount/dismount assembly keeps me working with your product for more blow-by collection.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
They have an option for fittings at 180 and 90*'s

See for yourself, sure looks close.
I guess if you put a hex vs the knurl you just innovated a new product.

They even copied a flaw in the design, something were working on (filter media) but the way the did it, they're stuck.

Well that's twice our separator was knocked off, I guess I should take it as a compliment.:rollseyes

Love seeing such innovation.

Tucker

Like I said, I'm working on a new filter media, but it's going to be a little while.
As much as I want the "Best" oil separator on the market, Bob's works well.

So what do you do when you get beat? You figure out how to get back up on top ;)

People love the plug and play factory look to ours and I thank you all. So if we can make it even better, why not!

Trust me, we care!

Steve@BAS

Established Member
^Why I love Jay! All in good fun & fair competition as well as supporting the mustang community. Copying somebody else is easy, being innovative is hard. Look forward to testing the new one!

While we differ in oil separator view lol, I will always run JLT intakes on my cars!

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

Like I said, I'm working on a new filter media, but it's going to be a little while.
As much as I want the "Best" oil separator on the market, Bob's works well.

So what do you do when you get beat? You figure out how to get back up on top ;)

People love the plug and play factory look to ours and I thank you all. So if we can make it even better, why not!

Trust me, we care!

^Why I love Jay! All in good fun & fair competition as well as supporting the mustang community. Copying somebody else is easy, being innovative is hard. Look forward to testing the new one!

While we differ in oil separator view lol, I will always run JLT intakes on my cars!

The very reason I do business with both JLT and Bob's Autosport.

Class........

They say that imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery.....

That's Bull$--t in the biggest form especially when it takes food off your table....

Tucker

:beer: Exactly!
And why I run your axle overflow kit on mine, you make killer stuff.

I could think of so many different designs and styles of separator without knocking of Bob's, JLT's, UPR's or any on the market.
I could draw one right now that's totally different without a problem.:nonono:

Jay

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
:beer: Exactly!
And why I run your axle overflow kit on mine, you make killer stuff.

I could think of so many different designs and styles of separator without knocking of Bob's, JLT's, UPR's or any on the market.
I could draw one right now that's totally different without a problem.:nonono:

Jay

That's what I don't get, it's not that hard to make one different enough to not be a knock off. I have one from a manufacturer we work with occasionally that I'm working on fitting to the SVTP F-350 (it oils like crazy) and I've never seen anything designed like it.

WAL

Established Member

Jay - since I've got a JLT separator on my '13 GT500, I'm looking forward to your test results. I'll be watching for your updates. Thanks.

Last edited:

PRP

Established Member
Only reason they didn't copy Bob's Oil Separator.......Patent Pending
There will be testing I can assure you of that.

Yep.

Jay Tucker popped into the TS oil separator thread and he seems to think (and claims) that the Shelby unit is a copy of his unit, that *he* did the R&D work on...Someone mentioned the word Patent and I'll bet dimes to dollars that Jay/JLT didn't Patent his unit. (EDIT: Guess I should'a read ahead)

That sounds a LOT like another 'hot item' Shelby Performance Parts markets, which they claim R&D status on too.

But them that know, know that 'someone else' did the R&D, fitment, etc. before Shelby (In My Opinion) screwed HIM on his royalties. And he knows who he is.

As far as buying the C&R that is "branded" by Shelby, all you're paying extra for is some black paint that created the letters S-H-E-L-B-Y across the front of the IC. It was WELL worth it to me to save a pretty substantial amount of $$$ by having C&R painted on it rather than SHELBY.

Hell, IF I ever decided I wanted SHELBY painted on my IC, I can buy the paint and do it myself for under 10 bucks...And save $100+.

YMMV,
Phill

Last edited:

Tucker

Yep.

Jay Tucker popped into the TS oil separator thread and he seems to think (and claims) that the Shelby unit is a copy of his unit, that *he* did the R&D work on...Someone mentioned the word Patent and I'll bet dimes to dollars that Jay/JLT didn't Patent his unit. (EDIT: Guess I should'a read ahead)
Nope,
patients cost too much and take too long. It's better to come out with a good product first and "hope" others aren't stupid enough to do an exact copy of it, but we see how that went.

I did do the R&D on my product, but it's far from unique, so it should be easy to do a design that's not the same.
Check this out, 5 different separators and only 2 just alike, our JLT and the one Silver Horse Racing copied for Shelby:
268879_10151490678972155_1870869881_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread