Shifter Knob Opinions Please

Emwun Garand

Established Member
Is there any difference between the MGW Composite Race Knob and the UPR Composite Shift Knob?

Seems MGW is $66 plus shipping and the UPR is $29.

Although the UPR has a tightening screw which I don't like. I would prefer to use the locking nut that you tighten underneath the shifter - seems more secure.

Guys with the MGW - does it use the locking nut underneath or some kind of tigtening screw that goes through the base of the shifter knob? Hard to tell from MGW's website.

Had the Hurst Black 6 Speed eight ball style and it was too big and sat too low on the shifter shaft so going to try one of these two:

1990-2004 Mustang COMPOSITE RACE KNOB

UPR 79-04 Mustang Composite Shift Knob 6 Speed Logo

The difference is MGW likely put a lot of R&D time into creating that knob, then UPR(unauthorized product reproduction) ripped off the design and sells it on the cheap.

**** UPR

SVTPete83

Established Member
Here is mine...I love it..will never change it.

IMG_1061.jpg

svtaddict

Established Member
the stock shifter is cutting up my hand from the stitching i think and giving me callus on my palm its also cutting between my fingers . in the middle of my pinky and the next one gotta get me a ball

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The stock one looks the best but it has plastic inserts that brake after a few hard shifts & just spins around! You need A 2" ball with A locking jam nut
DSCF1125.jpg

I had that problem once with a round shift knob. I removed the plastic insert, found a metal threaded insert and super glued it at the best depth. Worked great and saved me from having to buy a new knob.

IA Shelby

Established Member
The difference is MGW likely put a lot of R&D time into creating that knob, then UPR(unauthorized product reproduction) ripped off the design and sells it on the cheap.

**** UPR

I spoke to George at MGw. I had the hurst 8 ball with a MGw orange handle shifter. I wanted something with better reach for the poor ergonomic ally designed shifter.

He recommended the Tall Gripper knob. He said that didn't advertise it anymore but he felt it was the best for what I needed. I now see this race composite knob and wonder if I should have got that one. Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread