Shifter Knob Opinions Please

Silver TT

Established Member
Is there any difference between the MGW Composite Race Knob and the UPR Composite Shift Knob?

Seems MGW is $66 plus shipping and the UPR is $29.

Although the UPR has a tightening screw which I don't like. I would prefer to use the locking nut that you tighten underneath the shifter - seems more secure.

Guys with the MGW - does it use the locking nut underneath or some kind of tigtening screw that goes through the base of the shifter knob? Hard to tell from MGW's website.

Had the Hurst Black 6 Speed eight ball style and it was too big and sat too low on the shifter shaft so going to try one of these two:

1990-2004 Mustang COMPOSITE RACE KNOB

UPR 79-04 Mustang Composite Shift Knob 6 Speed Logo

oem

Custom User Title
Established Member
I use a "delrin" shift knob... feels awesome, it's like silk and metal all at once. Best part is it's really good at not getting hot or cold. Just google delin shift knobs and you can find them in a ton of different styles.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
My all time favorite was in a 1970 Challenger 340 Six Pack. It was a wood Hurst Pistol Grip.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I always liked my black Fat Knob, but I don't think they're in business any longer. The website is gone.

yes i think you're right bob - they're nowhere to be found anymore. the actual corporation name used to be rasmussen engineering from a reciept i had.

they are (were) great, and i think differ from the rest because they are the fat 2 1/4" diameter, but use no universal insert. 12mm threads directly into the material without any need for a jamnut. perfect feel.

i still use my black one for my orange car, and i had a white one sitting in my garage that i just tried it on my blue car with my new mgw shifter and it felt great, but i think it detracts from the look of the interior in these cars for some reason. and i am an old school guy where the white cue ball shifter was king, but for our paricular console i prefer the black for looks. maybe because the shifter is so short compared to those muscle cars of old.

SlowYellow

Established Member
I like the older steeda knobs, but they no longer make them. I have one of the white hurst knobs laying around that I'd let you have cheap!! Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I use a "delrin" shift knob... feels awesome, it's like silk and metal all at once. Best part is it's really good at not getting hot or cold. Just google delin shift knobs and you can find them in a ton of different styles.

A Delrin shift knob. That's a low coefficient of friction plastic which lubricates the "heim joint" created every time you throw the stick.

............... I wonder if anyone makes one made from Teflon LOL

black 10th vert

Established Member
I love using Delrin to machine parts like bushings, but would never want it for a shift knob because it is not hard enough to have nice finish. I have an old style aluminum one that UPR used to make with the 6 speed patten, but it is a full ball instead of the current ones with the flat top. I hate that style, so I searched until I found someone selling the full ball style. I made a mandrel for my lathe so I can put a fresh "spun" look on it whenever it gets worn smooth, or scratched, so it always looks perfect. Since I have all billet switches and knobs in satin finish, it coordinates perfectly in my interior.

VNMHISS

Established Member
+3 for Fat Knob. I've had my black one for many years now, still looks and feels great. Definately has some heft to it which helps slam the gates with some authority.

I also go back to my stock leather knob from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread