Should I do it?

achamb7

Established Member
Since this thread is already started, what are the limits of the 5.4l in the Shelby? I know 600+/- rwhp is about the limit in the Coyote, anything more and you are on borrowed time.

ETA: when I start looking, anything in particular I should look for (problem areas)? I would like to find 1 that is 100% stock, of course. Really want the glass roof option, too.

Last edited:

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I've owned GT's in the past but once you sit your ass in a Cobra a GT will never do. I've owned an 03 Cobra, then a BAB 98 and now my Vista Blue 08 GT500. Do it and you won't regret it.

sedanman

Established Member
I would get what you like. I have a Shelby in the sig and my father inlaw has a 12 GT with a VMP TVS and they are both great cars. Each has there plus and minuses.

04-OW-COBRA

Established Member
I would dare say the GT500 should be a bit quicker with the TVS and his mods, he should be close to 700 rwhp. Probably a drivers race unless the 5.0 is on some healthy boost. The one cool thing about the coyote is it takes half the boost to make damn near the same hp as a shelby does. The stock 5.4 block is good to about 800 rwhp if your not revving the piss out of it all the time.

Stri8ed

Killer
Established Member
I had a guy at a gas station tell me my car is "Mantastic"... I have a 73, had a 2010GT, and now the 08GT500. I wouldn't hesitate to trade the 2010 in again and get the GT500. Waaaay better car. No one really cares about a GT, but I get old timers and just about everyone else stop by my car when Im washing it and tell me how nice it is. I will never part with her.

brandonflood123

Established Member
Since this thread is already started, what are the limits of the 5.4l in the Shelby? I know 600+/- rwhp is about the limit in the Coyote, anything more and you are on borrowed time.

ETA: when I start looking, anything in particular I should look for (problem areas)? I would like to find 1 that is 100% stock, of course. Really want the glass roof option, too.

according to Cary Kramp, the Team leader at the romeo niche plant( they build the shelby motors) he says the shelby motors can safely handel 750rwhp. not to the crank to the tires so it would be even more to the crank

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Also, how many miles is too many? Whether stock or modded? What items should I look for?

Miles:Well that depends on your comfort zone and maint on the car. For Ex:I have 18k I have a 11. I do maint on my car myself and on schedule. Most of those 18k are highway miles when I drive it to work, or when I go to PBIR (Palm beach Morroso) to race. So I guess for my year and mileage, its not a lot. So I would say you need to see how the car was maintain during the ownership.

Mods/Stock: Mods is not a big issue for me. Typical mods LCA's, DS's, Pulley's, CAI, are all par for the course. If they have been done, great. Just find out when and by who. Then inspect the mod for yourself. If stock, well you have mods to do.

As far as what to look for, well typical things. See how the clutch feels, look for hidden damage....if mods, look how they are holding up. Things such as the 1~2 shift can be resolved, so do not worry if you find that.

Hope this all helps and GL.

achamb7

Established Member
Gonna start looking for 1. There is a 2012 with PP/electronics at a dealer about an hour away. Probably gonna go look Thursday or Friday. The car is Ingot Silver with Black stripes. In the pictures I've seen, the silver cars look "dirty". Surely they don't look the same in person...? Thanks for all the responses.

achamb7

Established Member
Let me clarify, don't mean to insult anyone with a silver car. In the pictures, the silver cars don't have that shine that other colors have.

Ratinacage

Established Member
Gonna start looking for 1. There is a 2012 with PP/electronics at a dealer about an hour away. Probably gonna go look Thursday or Friday. The car is Ingot Silver with Black stripes. In the pictures I've seen, the silver cars look "dirty". Surely they don't look the same in person...? Thanks for all the responses.

Sweet post pics when you trade it in.

brandonflood123

Established Member

well my car isnt silver but its in the color group, i love my SMG its so beautiful esp with the matte black stripes on it. but mines also not ingot silver so idk. haha just get the shelby and post them pics

04-OW-COBRA

Established Member

I have to disagree that silver looks dirty all the time. It's actually one of the colors that looks cleaner the longest. I know it's the 07-09 body and your looking at a 10+ car but they stay pretty clean looking. Also sorry for the rust on the rotors and picture whoring just wanted to show how clean silver can look.
IMG_0251.gif

IMG_0252.gif

IMG_0253.gif

Users who are viewing this thread