Should I do it?

achamb7

Established Member
I have to disagree that silver looks dirty all the time. It's actually one of the colors that looks cleaner the longest. I know it's the 07-09 body and your looking at a 10+ car but they stay pretty clean looking. Also sorry for the rust on the rotors and picture whoring just wanted to show how clean silver can look.
IMG_0251.gif

IMG_0252.gif

IMG_0253.gif

You have a beautiful car, sir. What I meant was that in pictures (that I have seen) they don't have the same shine as black, white, red, blue cars. I know they can stay looking clean longer in person, I have a silver 2012 accord that gets washed about once a month lol. Pictures don't do the color justice.

sedanman

Established Member
Begs the question: which is faster?

He is not a huge racer and this is his first mustang in 30 years so we stayed conservative 85mm pulley so it should make 600whp, my setup should make 680-700whp. That being said he could turn up the wick and make it interesting. The cool part about his is zero heat soak between the lower boost needed and the awesome VMP heat exchanger setup.

If you are about track numbers do a auto GT I rode in a friends VMP auto GT this week and it blew my mind!

Last edited:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Gonna start looking for 1. There is a 2012 with PP/electronics at a dealer about an hour away. Probably gonna go look Thursday or Friday. The car is Ingot Silver with Black stripes. In the pictures I've seen, the silver cars look "dirty". Surely they don't look the same in person...? Thanks for all the responses.

I'd look online around the NE. As this time of year they don't sell and I believe you would do better. Try to make a deal around the end of the month when dealers are trying to make quotas

G/L

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
Lol you will want to trade it in the second you get there and see it, these cars have a serious presence and vibe, I just love mine so flipping much

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
its a tough choice forsure...i have both a 10 gt500 and a 13 5.0...love them both but the one difference i notice is that people expect a gt500 to be fast and are pretty suprised at how fast my 13 is....for me i love having both but bang for the buck mod wise id say the 13 5.0 has out performed my shelby...cheaper to get into a 5.0 by far and the money saved if spent on the correct mods is as fast if not faster then most gt500's....i went 3 full months last season without touching my shelby because i was having so much fun in my 13...all depends on your goals and how much money you wanna fork over to get where you want...both are fantastic fantastic cars.

Last edited:

psycholx

ALWAYS STANG, SOMETIMES L
Established Member
Shelby for the win. I had a 10 Kona blue gt, was looking at a 13 roush, them came across the Kona blue 12shelby, drove it, never looked back. No me and Shelly have a special bond.

achamb7

Established Member
I did not go look for a Shelby. I am not in a position to buy yet, and it will eat at me if I drive one lol. So I will wait until that time gets closer then I will start looking. Thanks for all the responses.

dajohu

Established Member
It really depends on "why" you want a car. As we all know every car has it's upsides and downsides, and literally ANYTHING can be made fast with enough money.

My first Mustang was a an 05 GT, that car sounded and looked awesome (S197 fan here). But when I found out about the Shelby GT500 coming out I lost interest and ended up selling mine. No matter how much I modded it, it would never be a shelby.

A few years later, debts paid off and wanting a "fun" car again I decided to get an 09 GT500. It was the newest available in the original body style that I prefer, and I paid less for it than my 05 GT was brand new.

It's hard to explain, I don't street race much (never had a chance to street race my 09 in 7 months), never been to a track yet, only plan on doing a standing mile and trying the SORC (Sandhills Open Road Challenge near Arnold Nebraska) summer 2014. I may be in the minority here, but to me the experience is a combination of the looks, the sound, the feel of the car and yes, how well it performs. I also love the compliments and questions I get, but I did not buy my car for anyone else, I bought it because of how I feel about it. None of my friends like mustangs so if I wanted to impress I would have gotten something else.

From everything I've read the newer GT's can be modded easily and the 5.0's are an excellent motor. The 5.4 in our cars is older tech. Do you want newer tech and newer body style? Or do you want the older style shelby? Both can be modded easily and make plenty of power so that shouldn't be an issue. As some have already said the shelby's aren't very exclusive anymore, as there are a lot more rare mustangs out there.

Good luck and let us know what you end up deciding. Damn I wrote a book, too much whiskey I guess:lol1:

JamesHayes59

Established Member
Ok, long story short, I have 2012 GT, see details in my sig. When I bought the car, I really wanted a Shelby. Sometime in 2014, I will have the opportunity to either supercharge my car (undecided on TVS or Vortech). Or, I could trade it in for a Shelby. I owe less than my car is worth, so I am in pretty good shape as far as equity in the car is concerned. So, should I trade?

Purchase the Shelby. Last September I traded my 1996 SVT Cobra convertible for a 2007 Shelby GT500, 7,900 miles, single owner, and I have no regrets. I love driving my old convertible and I had over $10K of MODs...but it isn't a Shelby. Several threads I read below talked about being a kid a Christmas time every time they sit behind the steering wheel, I couldn't agree more. Buy the Shelby.

JamesHayes59

Established Member
It really depends on "why" you want a car. As we all know every car has it's upsides and downsides, and literally ANYTHING can be made fast with enough money.

My first Mustang was a an 05 GT, that car sounded and looked awesome (S197 fan here). But when I found out about the Shelby GT500 coming out I lost interest and ended up selling mine. No matter how much I modded it, it would never be a shelby.

A few years later, debts paid off and wanting a "fun" car again I decided to get an 09 GT500. It was the newest available in the original body style that I prefer, and I paid less for it than my 05 GT was brand new.

It's hard to explain, I don't street race much (never had a chance to street race my 09 in 7 months), never been to a track yet, only plan on doing a standing mile and trying the SORC (Sandhills Open Road Challenge near Arnold Nebraska) summer 2014. I may be in the minority here, but to me the experience is a combination of the looks, the sound, the feel of the car and yes, how well it performs. I also love the compliments and questions I get, but I did not buy my car for anyone else, I bought it because of how I feel about it. None of my friends like mustangs so if I wanted to impress I would have gotten something else.

From everything I've read the newer GT's can be modded easily and the 5.0's are an excellent motor. The 5.4 in our cars is older tech. Do you want newer tech and newer body style? Or do you want the older style shelby? Both can be modded easily and make plenty of power so that shouldn't be an issue. As some have already said the shelby's aren't very exclusive anymore, as there are a lot more rare mustangs out there.

Good luck and let us know what you end up deciding. Damn I wrote a book, too much whiskey I guess:lol1:

I like your post. I too don't race my 2007 Shelby GT500 at the track, I don't need to. I get a lot of satisfaction just driving, cruising in my Shelby. I can't count the times I have had Corvettes pull up next to me wanting to race, and I just keep cruising. I do go fast when it's safe, no other cars around, and what a thrill to know you have the power to kick it in and feel your body compress into the seat! :pop:

Users who are viewing this thread