Should I jump on this Mach 1 for 17k?

ModMike1572

Established Member
I'm in the market for a Mach 1. The only color that really intrigues me is comp orange. I wanted something that is mint, with low miles.

I found one with 13k miles for 17 grand. Car is absolutely mint. The price is firm btw. He was offered 16k already but is holding out for 17.

I just dont want to over-pay for something. Does this seem like a decent deal?

Anyway, heres the description:

"Competition Orange, 13,000 mi, 5-speed, IUP, $17,000, TN"

"2004 and never been smoked in or seen rain. It has 13,000 miles with the original tires. No dings, scratches, or rock chips. Modifications are a Hurst shifter, and Bassani X pipe with Borla stinger mufflers. Original stuff goes with car. More photo's available upon request."

c1_zps717060c9.jpg

c2_zps6400f7a9.jpg

c3_zps437790fb.jpg

c4_zps37edd4c9.jpg

MachJoe

Established Member
Honestly, its all up to you. If that's something that you really want, then I say go for it. I believe the price is a tad high, but the miles are super low. It's clean and in good shape! Good luck! :beer:

BossMach1

Established Member
That thing does look very mint.. and its never seen rain... seems pretty good.. i would get a compression test on the motor and hopefully he changed the oil often.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Dang you could eat off that engine bay car is really clean. Check for the normal stuff anyway b/c you never know. If that car is worth $17K to you then go buy it but as mentioned above it seems a tad high.

ModMike1572

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Its owned by a 52 year old man and on the phone he seems really straight forward.

Ya, when I first saw the listing for 17k, I immediately figured I would try to chew him down a bit but he's very firm at 17k so I havent rushed into anything...

4v_mach1

Established Member
It looks clean, but I personally wouldn't pay $17k for a mach 1... I would just get a terminator for $17k lol, but that's just me

Grimster

Established Member
If you plan on driving it, then the premium you are paying for a low mileage car (in my opinion) isn't worth it. If you are going to keep it a super low mileage Mach 1, then it might be ok. But remember, these cars aren't investments. It's difficult to stop depreciation on a car, especially one as common as a Mach 1.

Are you planning on leaving it as is or are you going to mod it if you get it?

ModMike1572

Established Member
If you plan on driving it, then the premium you are paying for a low mileage car (in my opinion) isn't worth it. If you are going to keep it a super low mileage Mach 1, then it might be ok. But remember, these cars aren't investments. It's difficult to stop depreciation on a car, especially one as common as a Mach 1.

Are you planning on leaving it as is or are you going to mod it if you get it?

Well, I'm looking for a car with low miles because its going to be a weekend only car that I take to shows, etc... It wont get driven much and I wanted something pretty mint condition. It seems like the equivalent of a terminator with those kind of miles and in a rare desirable color would run 25 grand or more. I could be wrong but thats what it seems.

I do plan on modding it as well, but slowely over time.
I'm still up in the air and havent really rushed into anything.

goodguy2449

That car looks Great -- I just found a 2001 GT convertible in Mint 22k condition -- little old lady driver -- Really!!!!

I'm thinking of putting a big order in for some stuff from American Muscle -- I head they might give you a code here for a discount -- if you are in the SVT forum -- anyone heard of that?

Good Luck with your stang!

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
If the price doesn't scare you, buy it! Lower mile ones are getting scarce. Plus if you keep them low it will be a nice car for many years to come.
If you don't, someone else will then you'll be kicking yourself.

MACHSTAR

Established Member
I have a 2003 mach 1 i bought for 15,500 from the original owner with 10,000 miles on it in dark shadow gray and as for it being a common car there was 3 times as many cobras made in 03 and 04 as there where mach 1 not knocking the cobras by no means they are beast but to be honest the only reason the 03-04 cobras have maintained their value is due to the supercharger without it the car is just an average 99-02 cobra that retails for less than a mach 1. Its all a matter of prefrence i love the terminators but liked the fact that the mach was a limited numbered car.

Grimster

Established Member
... and as for it being a common car there was 3 times as many cobras made in 03 and 04 as there where mach 1 ...

2003 Cobra - 13476

2004 Cobra - 5664

Total - 19,140

2003 Mach 1 - 9652

2004 Mach 1 - 7137

Total - 16,789

Not sure where you got your numbers from. The Mach 1 is just about as "rare" as the cobras are. The 03-04 cobras are much more than "just a supercharger" as well. Compared to the Mach 1s they have different engines...transmissions...rear end...etc.

Both cars are good in their own ways.

Last edited:

4v_mach1

Established Member
as for it being a common car there was 3 times as many cobras made in 03 and 04 as there where mach 1 not knocking the cobras by no means they are beast but to be honest the only reason the 03-04 cobras have maintained their value

yeah, but a 03/04 cobra is so much better, faster, mean, sexy lol.. don't get me wrong mach 1 is a nice car, but it's nothing CRAZY stock vs stock 03/04 cobra lol & even if both were modded.. the cobra takes the win just for having a stock forged bottom end.. all you do is swap out the supercharger and you're good to go. Think about the headache ($$$) you have to go through just to get a mach 1 to hit the same power as a kb/whipple cobra.

Last edited:

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I sold my CO mach1 to get my Cobra---I did love the mach but the Cobra is so much more......

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
Not everyone wants to slap on a supercharger. I'd be happy in the future with cams. I for one don't care if my mustang doesn't make the same number as another mustang. Sounds like he wants a nice weekend driver that's fun to drive and turns heads. I paid 17k for my Mach 1 a couple years ago with 8500 miles on it. Mine didn't have an exhaust either. I would have bought this in a heartbeat if I was looking again. For the price your getting a practically brand new Mach 1. You couldn't touch a decent cobra for that price. Much nicer than a 99-01 cobra. Plus you have a good idea it's been taken care of. No brainer to me. :beer:

Last edited:

4v_mach1

Established Member
Not everyone wants to slap on a supercharger. I'd be happy in the future with cams. I for one don't care if my mustang doesn't make the same number as another mustang. Sounds like he wants a nice weekend driver that's fun to drive and turns heads. I paid 17k for my Mach 1 a couple years ago with 8500 miles on it. Mine didn't have an exhaust either. I would have bought this in a heartbeat if I was looking again. For the price your getting a practically brand new Mach 1. You couldn't touch a decent cobra for that price. Much nicer than a 99-01 cobra. Plus you have a good idea it's been taken care of. No brainer to me. :beer:

I have seen cobras with 20k low mileage going for $17k. He asked for a opinion and we all gave him one. It's a clean mach no doubt

Last edited:

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
Indeed. Didn't mean nothing by it.
It is few and far between you will see a 03-04 cobra go for that price though with less than 20k miles on it. They're still holding they're value even with the newer S197's dishing out more and more power. I think the only thing I would ever trade my Mach 1 for would be a 12 Boss.

Last edited:

ModMike1572

Established Member
As far as the comparisons between the 03 cobra and Mach 1.. I understand. I've had a cobra in the past and they are sweet cars. But I want to go a different route this time. The cobra's ability to make 600hp on the street really doesnt do anything for me anymore so having a built motor isnt really a factor in my decision making process about what car to buy.

And where are the 20k mileage cobras for 17k? I've been looking and it seems you can find a decent mileage cobra (40k) in the 19-20 range...

So far with the Mach's, I havent really found the perfect one yet - this one actually meets all my criteria but 17k does seem a bit much, especially considering I would have to ship it, so I'll have over 18 grand in that thing by the time I get it and register it.... I still havent ruled it out though.... because the alternative seems to be settling on a color that I didnt really want... with higher mileage... For example: I'm looking at a torch red with 44k and is looking for 11,500. Seems to be a good deal but not exactly garage kept and this clean.

Users who are viewing this thread