Should Shelby Make The KR Hood Available For Public Purchase?

Should Shelby make the KR hood available to anyone?

• Yes.

Votes: 69 71.9%
  • No.

Votes: 27 28.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Update: According to Shelby they are the victims just like every other GT500 owner, it's Ford who won't sell the hood to the general public, and not them........

I don't get it, how are GT500 owners victims? Was there some agreement when you bought your GT500 that Ford would make available to you all parts from all other models for retrofitting?

Maybe you missed this:

"This is a Shelby product, This car is built with ford, we both agree or we don't do it, The hood will not be sold without the car" - Amy Boylan, the "boss" at Shelby Automobiles

Joint decision.

Intruder

Established Member
DBK is right. Shelby simply installs them in Vegas. They say Ford has the issue selling them to the public, and not Shelby.

Intruder

Established Member
I don't think Ford makes the KR hood or installs it before they are sent to Shelby.

I think Shelby contracts the hood to be made to their specs. and shelby installs the hoods.

Ford would have just as hard a time getting one as you or me.

Intruder, the real point (it seams) you want to make is that you want to state GT500s bought at Ford Dealerships are not really Shelbys.

Personally I wish Ford would have put the same performance package in a 4eye and left the shelby name off of it. It might just have cost me less. I could care less about the shelby name. Just like Shelby I like the performance a lot more then the badge on the side!

Well it seems that way but that is not the point I'm trying to make. Everyone knows that Shelby has told us that the GT500 is a "real Shelby". The point I'm trying to make is simple. Shelby sells some parts off the GT500 to anyone with cash. They assist if you will, in the creation of GT500 clones. Yet in the next breath they claim to not want to sell KR parts because they don't support what clones do to real Shelbys, and that is devalue them. I'm shocked, after reading for months what people paid in mark-ups for their GT500's that more are not fuming. Sure you're in the Shelby family, just don't ask to buy parts we don't want to sell you.

Now Shelby says, Ford doesn't want the parts sold, not them. Which do you believe, and do you believe Ford will never release this hood to the parts bin?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
i have no problem with ford or shelby not selling the hoods. the problem i would have as an owner, is not being able to put the kr back to oem if it was involved in some sort of accident. good thing i cant afford one.:beer:

Intruder

Established Member
I don't get it, how are GT500 owners victims? Was there some agreement when you bought your GT500 that Ford would make available to you all parts from all other models for retrofitting?

Maybe you missed this:

"This is a Shelby product, This car is built with ford, we both agree or we don't do it, The hood will not be sold without the car" - Amy Boylan, the "boss" at Shelby Automobiles

Joint decision.

No, no agreement regarding retrofitting. I guess I'm just a little bugged that I have to live with GT500 clones, while KR owners don't. Just doesn't seem universally fair of Ford/Shelby. But then life didn't come with universally fair agreements either.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
No, no agreement regarding retrofitting. I guess I'm just a little bugged that I have to live with GT500 clones, while KR owners don't. Just doesn't seem universally fair of Ford/Shelby. But then life didn't come with universally fair agreements either.

Yeah, but you have to be a realist. A GT500 stickers at around 45k. A KR stickers at 80k. Ford Motor doesn't factor in what people spend at dealers. Ford is cognizant of the fact that people spending 80k on a car that starts life as a 20k car are a little more sensitive to exclusivity issues.

(and the fact the KR hood is a huge pain in the ass to produce, while the GT500 hood can be run off by the hundreds with no problem)

mobeydick

Established Member

How many GT500 Clones do you think are out there. 100 maybe 200 and all you have to do is lift the hood to kn ow the difference.

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
To me, this is just another "car part". Yes it's expensive, but if someone wants one, then they should be able to get one..even at rediculous prices.

Another angle on this is what if a KR owner wants to purchase a spare..just in case the one on their car gets mangled and there aren't any replacements a few years from now? There is also the idea of Ford manufactured vs. after title modification. I believe Ford has to provide replacement parts for at least 7 years after manufacture for any vehicle produced. I'm not sure how volume fits into that though (like the Cobra R for example). I doubt Shelby has the same restriction as they are essentially a mod shop like Roush/Saleen...

As for the cloaning topic, someone needs to call out SAI on this. If a GT500 isn't really a Shelby, then why pretend? :shrug: If only Shelby GTs and KRs (and SSs, and 40ths) are the only "true" Shelby vehicles, then why is it the only mods to these vehicles that aren't designed/engineered by Ford/Ford Racing are stupid bolt on items like badges, hoods and wheels? Oh, and you can purchase the Shelby GT and SS items from them so I don't see why the KR hood would be any different.

BTW...as many people said before...I could care less if Shelby's name was on my GT500...I would still love the hell out of it. :beer:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Well let me ask this, how much different are the Tru-Fiber copies and a couple of other CO's that already make them? I for one would love to have a KR Hood. I like the style and am more than willing to purchase a knock-off. I think the Tru-Fiber version is around $800 obviously not including paint. How much of a difference is there between the two?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
You could EASILY replicate the way the KR hood looks without going through all the pain in the ass trouble of the duct work. It wouldn't be functional, but I doubt most people out to change the cosmetic look of their hood car.

If someone copied the look of the hood but made it a solid inner/outer it would be a whole hell of a lot cheaper than the one Ford engineered.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
They have told me in emails, that cloaning reduces the value of a Shelby automobile.

Everyone here is smart enough to fill in the blanks. They protect real Shelbys.

Funny, the $30k Super Snake package can have a good amount of body components purchased direct from Shelby. The only thing missing I believe is the badging and the carbon rocker panels. The suspension is by Eibach, blower is KB/FRPP and the exhaust is Borla/JBA.

They don't make it hard to clone that one. :bored:

Angel

aLL JaCkeD uP
Established Member
To me, this is just another "car part". Yes it's expensive, but if someone wants one, then they should be able to get one..even at rediculous prices.

Another angle on this is what if a KR owner wants to purchase a spare..just in case the one on their car gets mangled and there aren't any replacements a few years from now? There is also the idea of Ford manufactured vs. after title modification. I believe Ford has to provide replacement parts for at least 7 years after manufacture for any vehicle produced. I'm not sure how volume fits into that though (like the Cobra R for example). I doubt Shelby has the same restriction as they are essentially a mod shop like Roush/Saleen...

As for the cloaning topic, someone needs to call out SAI on this. If a GT500 isn't really a Shelby, then why pretend? :shrug: If only Shelby GTs and KRs (and SSs, and 40ths) are the only "true" Shelby vehicles, then why is it the only mods to these vehicles that aren't designed/engineered by Ford/Ford Racing are stupid bolt on items like badges, hoods and wheels? Oh, and you can purchase the Shelby GT and SS items from them so I don't see why the KR hood would be any different.

BTW...as many people said before...I could care less if Shelby's name was on my GT500...I would still love the hell out of it. :beer:

Good points. IMO, the ultimate form of compliment is someone copying your ride. As previously mentioned, just lift the hood or hit the gas, and anyone with any car savvy will know which is the real GT500. When it comes to valuation down the road, as demonstrated in so many autions around the Country, that the Auctioneer states if it is a Clone, Tribute or Original. I am not offended by copies and indeed Pedigree counts; - especially when the cars become Classics.

That being said, yes, if anyone wants to spend their money on a high dollar item, they should be able to.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Funny, the $30k Super Snake package can have a good amount of body components purchased direct from Shelby. The only thing missing I believe is the badging and the carbon rocker panels. The suspension is by Eibach, blower is KB/FRPP and the exhaust is Borla/JBA.

They don't make it hard to clone that one. :bored:

All true^^^^^^^^^and "if" you could somehow get a reciept from Shelby with your VIN number on it and the conversion information identifying, or I should say verifying the car to be authentic along with a numbered dash plate and underhood plate, you would be home free. Paperwork and documentation on these cars, as with any cars of value (old, now and future) is everything, no paperwork, is well........it just raises a lot of questions and the big $$$ buyers step away quickly. It is kind of like a SVT Cobra with no original certificate, or a 1995 2-Top Cobra without the letter from SVT stating it, by VIN number is #xxx/499, or a 2000 Cobra R without its original Black Binder. Paperwork that verifies the car is what the seller says it is, is everything. Clones, copies and pretend cars will not have the documentation to back up the claim by the owner, no matter what parts are bolted on the car. It is all about paperwork and documentation, the more, the better. In the end, people want there to be no clones because of $$$ value. Documentation verifies value. No documentaion raises questions and the selling price drops quickly.

R

Last edited:

Mikesan

First Mustang
Established Member
If I paid the price for a KR, I wouldn't be happy that lowly GT500 buyers can get one of the distinguishing parts at any price. This coming from a lowly GT500 owner. Why can't some things just stay special?

FiaCobra

Established Member
Ok, my .02

It doesn't matter what Ford, SAI, or KR owners think or say. Some company will produce a "replica" hood for the general public to purchase.

So, you want to own a 1965 427 Cobra but don't have the $500k readily available? No problem, search online and look into the dozens of companies that make one you could afford. That hood is no different. One WILL be made available in the future regardless what Ford/SAI/KR owners think and/or want.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
it still wont be a KR hood though, since i doubt any company will go through the head ache an expense of designing it like the KR hood(100+ carbon fiber pieces making it fully functional).

cobra1718

Established Member
Question Shelby sells the super snake hood for 1099 plus 190 for the louvers is this a different hood than for the KR? Looks damn close to me

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Question Shelby sells the super snake hood for 1099 plus 190 for the louvers is this a different hood than for the KR? Looks damn close to me

The SS hood is Fiberglass, the KR hood is Carbon Fiber. The underside of each hood looks different, however, the fuctionality is the same, duct fresh air to the CAI style air filter in the left front of the engine compartment. The SS hood uses a hood pin hold down set-up and the KR uses twist-locks.

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread