Should Shelby Make The KR Hood Available For Public Purchase?

Should Shelby make the KR hood available to anyone?

• Yes.

Votes: 69 71.9%
  • No.

Votes: 27 28.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
and the KR has over 100 seperate carbon fiber pieces making all the ducting work. not sure why, it just does, lol.

jcthorne

Established Member
The KR and SS hoods are also very different in shape and look. The KR flows with the front grill body lines, the SS does not. Side by side there is a big difference.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The KR and SS hoods are also very different in shape and look. The KR flows with the front grill body lines, the SS does not. Side by side there is a big difference.

I had not closely examined the two hoods from the outside view. Sorry for the poor pictures, but this is all I have from a "somewhat" similar angle for comparision. One thing I immediately notice is the difference in the center support. The SS hood may be a little taller?

Picture1366-1.jpg

Picture1365-1.jpg

R

Last edited:

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
They already make a replica KR hood I saw it in a mustang magazine I will try to find a link.

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
Hell yes!!! It should cost about $400......These guy want way too much for these hoods!!!

jcthorne

Established Member
I have the only replica KR hood on the market. Its made by TruFiber. While the finished product does indeed resemble the KR, the $4500 worth of body and paint work it took to get there says "this hood is not ready for prime time" It was a lot of work and still not perfect.

It does have one advantage over the real KR. A fully finished underside that looks very nice with the hood up at car shows.

sdfrog177

Established Member
All true^^^^^^^^^and "if" you could somehow get a reciept from Shelby with your VIN number on it and the conversion information identifying, or I should say verifying the car to be authentic along with a numbered dash plate and underhood plate, you would be home free. Paperwork and documentation on these cars, as with any cars of value (old, now and future) is everything, no paperwork, is well........it just raises a lot of questions and the big $$$ buyers step away quickly. It is kind of like a SVT Cobra with no original certificate, or a 1995 2-Top Cobra without the letter from SVT stating it, by VIN number is #xxx/499, or a 2000 Cobra R without its original Black Binder. Paperwork that verifies the car is what the seller says it is, is everything. Clones, copies and pretend cars will not have the documentation to back up the claim by the owner, no matter what parts are bolted on the car. It is all about paperwork and documentation, the more, the better. In the end, people want there to be no clones because of $$$ value. Documentation verifies value. No documentaion raises questions and the selling price drops quickly.

R

So my 2000R is now worth hundreds/thousands less because I didnt get a original black SVT binder, I was not aware of this issue. Break....Mike H. thanks for letting me make a copy at kinkos of your priceless black binder, looks like I owe you big time. Next time your in town you have free drinks all night at my bar.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
So my 2000R is now worth hundreds/thousands less because I didnt get a original black SVT binder, I was not aware of this issue. Break....Mike H. thanks for letting me make a copy at kinkos of your priceless black binder, looks like I owe you big time. Next time your in town you have free drinks all night at my bar.

Nope, never said that your 00R without the Black Binder was worth "thousands less" (hundreds is definitley a possibility), and to some (many) big $$$ buyers original documentation is priceless and the lack-of is a negative, or copies are just that, "copies". Many of the top $$$ buyers want all of the original documents, originals, a complete set. These are the buyers who know what is supposed to be there in the first place and look for this info. immediately. I know some 00R buyers were not even aware of a SVT Black Binder for the 00R when they bought their car and were scrambling "after the fact" to put one together, usually w/o the VIN/build plate that is specific to their car and located inside the front cover of the Black Binder. The documentation sells the car and proves it to be what it is represented to be. If you were fortunate enough to also get the metal VIN plate with 00R build number that was originally included inside the front cover of the Black Binder in the small clear pouch, that is a nice item, but not easily copied. After a certain point in time SVT cetificates no longer reflected the signatures that were on the originals. These "after the fact" replacement SVT certificates also indicate non-original paperwork.<<<To some people this is a big deal, but you have to know the originals, to know the non-originals.

So back to the 00R Black Binder value..............To a person who knows nothing about it when purchasing a 2000 Cobra R it means nothing, until they realize it "should" have been with their car. To the knowledgable buyer, maybe a few hundred $$$, especially if it contains their specific VIN'ed/Build # information (the original binder for their specific car). To some big $$$ buyers, especially in the future market, it could be the difference between buying the car, and walking away.<<In this last scenario, this could be worth "thousands" (in a negative way) to the seller, especially if they are in a bind and need to sell the car quickly.

The Super Snake does not have a unique VIN, so it's correct documentation will be of much value to validate it to be authentic.

R

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
If a Shelby isn't a Shelby unless it is built at Vegas then what about the "Shelbys" that are being built at these "Shelby Authorized Modifiers" around the country? Are those real Shelbys or authorized replicas?.

Without clones I don't know if the AC Cobra would be as popular as it is today. I think what Shelby is afraid of is that even if you pay $6500 for the CF hood AND you buy all the other KR parts at retail prices you can build one for a lot less than a new one from Shelby. Once they finish building and selling the current cars you'll see those hoods for sale next to all the other KR stuff in the Shelby catalog.

One thing that has been proven over the years is that Shelby isn't one to leave a buck on the table......

Jroc

Established Member
For only cosmetic purposes no. I know the factory KR hood is carbon fiber, and its functional and all thats nice, but I don't find it attractive. I don't think its ugly, it just doesn't jump out at me as looking good. I think big cowl hoods look better on Mustangs than ones with big scoop poking out the front. I think the Steeda hoods look nice on the new Mustangs.

drmustang

Banned
what about the one where some jackass with no insurance cuts you off(classic hit and run) on that special day you took the kr to work? shelby has no answer for the question, how will my kr be repaired?

There is a thread regarding repacement parts on the Shelby owned forum. A guy with a KR needs a replacement body part and got a less than favorable response from the folks in the desert. Their president(Hot Wheels Amy) then proceeds to bash this current KR owner. Another SAI employee then comes to rescue and mops up her mess with some damage control.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
There is a thread regarding repacement parts on the Shelby owned forum. A guy with a KR needs a replacement body part and got a less than favorable response from the folks in the desert. Their president(Hot Wheels Amy) then proceeds to bash this current KR owner. Another SAI employee then comes to rescue and mops up her mess with some damage control.

Got a link?

91svtbird

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread