Sick off all the Magazine's picking the ZL1........

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
The magnetic ride control with all its settings is very nice, at least it is on the ZR1. If it is half as nice on the camaro, it would still allow a person to drive it at the edge with more confidence than the GT500. My GT500 feels like a muscle tank compared to the ZR1. I bet that is the same feeling the writers are getting when comparing the GT500 to the camaro. Just a guess.

But I would not worry about it, the ZL1 is slow compared to the GT500, just look at the results!

Scott

SGMPhil

The Sergeant Major
Established Member
I used to be a Chevy man, sold all my GM products after they became subsidized by us taxpayers. I bought an Expedition and an FX4, now the Shelby. If for no other reason, I will buy Ford because they did not take a bailout. That being said, no matter what the reviews say, the Shelby is the way to go for me due to performance and one thing that they seldom mention in the reviews - the appearance. I think the Shelby looks better than the Camaro as well - and this comes from someone that used to drive a Camaro.

spazpilot

Established Member
Bottom line is that people now days want to pull off magazine times with no experience behind the wheel. You can't do this as easily in the Shelby as you can in the ZL1. This is also why we will see the end of the traditional manual transmision. Case in point with the new GTR or the Lancer Evolution MR with the SST Tranny. Never misses a gear and all you have to do is just floor it and the car will do the rest around the track. I personally could care less wether or not the Zl1 is better then my 2013 Shelby. I'm sure C&D and MT are not being bias. They just know what most people want. The ZL1 does that, our cars don't.

SHELBYSVT20

Established Member
I think we would all rather have the superior car performance wise than the slower more comfy car that wins all the reviews. :-D

Is just one of the many reasons I and I am sure many of us have chosen the '13 Shelby GT500 over all other performance cars on the market! :rockon:

Hands down one (if not THE very best) of the VERY best muscle cars EVER produced IMHO...period! :rolling:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
The mags are full of it and im not worried about their bullcrap opinions on which is the better car( its obvious by the numbers) just for fun though they are also lying when they say the zl1 can run consistent lap times all day long....not according to what went down in homestead today, even modded the zl1 had heat soak issues (no shock here really) while the GT500 experienced almost none. Neither had brake fade and handled well. Of course C5 is mum about it...no one is talking about it as if it didnt happen.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...s-torq-zl1-track-homestead-6-30-2012-a-3.html

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
I would almost be embarrased if I was a ZL1 owner after reading that magazine nonsense. I'm sure deep down, most of those guys wished they owned the car described as "dangerous, violent, loud, intimidating, etc." That's what muscle cars are all about. The consensus for all those articles was the ZL1 is "better" because it's easier to live with on a daily basis. You might as well get a Cadillac CTS-V if that's what you are looking for in a car...it wins that contest hands down. For those interested in having a bad ass muscle car, cross shopping a Cadillac is NOT in the cards.

We'll just have to drive our second place GT500s. :)

Last edited:

Stinger99

Established Member
Gotta love those bad reviews.....A true mustang enthusiest does not need a mag review
to buy these cars....i hope they keep getting bad reviews...that will stop the monkeys with more
Money then brains from paying adm's....so the true mustang guy/gal can buy it.

kino

Established Member
I am tired of all the magazines picking the ZL1 already. Can't wait for 5.0 magazine and Muscle Mustangs/Fast Fords to come out with there stuff. Just had to get that off my chest.

I will replace the brake pads and if I have to I will change out the rotors. I will buy a brake cooling kit when available as well.

All this soft talk about road manners and track ability.

The bottom line is if you want a ZL1 buy it and then get beat by a 2013 Shelby GT500 at the nearest red light. Case Closed!!!!!!!!!! :fm:

Hey partner just remember on the street, cred has to be earned and the ZL1 is failing by epic proportions. Don't be surprised at MT picking the ZL1. They constantly praise GM after the bailout and do not hesitate to push GM. Interesting though is the heat soak issues so commonly seen by the owners of ZL1 never showed up in the magazine reviews. Before buying brake pads and what not, grab a set of real tires and you be ok.

Penemyone

Established Member
I could care less what the mags are saying. They have no sway on where my $'s go. I had a 99 GT that was beautiful, slow as hell and couldn't even sniff the exhaust of a Camaro. My 99 GT was better, but still couldn't keep up. Give me the true muscle car GT500 any day of the week. The ZL1 should be called the CTS-Sport for it's comfort and it's easier to drive ability.

10 G37 Vert (F-22)
09 G8 GT (B-2)
07 F-150 S/C (B-52)
99 Stang GT...

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Hey partner just remember on the street, cred has to be earned and the ZL1 is failing by epic proportions. Don't be surprised at MT picking the ZL1. They constantly praise GM after the bailout and do not hesitate to push GM. Interesting though is the heat soak issues so commonly seen by the owners of ZL1 never showed up in the magazine reviews. Before buying brake pads and what not, grab a set of real tires and you be ok.

This is so true. 10-20 years from now, no one will remember how comfy and easy to drive the zl1 was. All that will be remembered is how bad an ass kicking it took from the GT500. :burnout:

speedi1098

Established Member
I just delivery of my '13 GT500, my 6th stang since I've become of driving age. So regardless of who wins the mag test I'm still a Ford guy. So I except the mags pick the ZL1 as there favorite after all it does have the better chassis layout. We're all looking for justification for from the media,me , I know what I bought and why. What the test out come means to me? Ford needs to work harder on the next gen Mustang to make it better , not for MT , C&D but for me .

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
My gripe with these reviews is that the GT500 suffers the same issue as the ZR1, faster, but needs a good driver. BUT the ZR1 won all those reviews despite it's difficulty...
So it seems like GM payoffs to me.

SVTeveN

SVT
Established Member
Or how about the fact that GM uses magnetic ride control, Which Ferrari also borrowed. Fanboys never give credit when credit is due, Instead they make excuses.

"It's a conspiracy" "The government paid MT"

Clearly the underdog which is a 100hp down and 250lbs heavier keeps beating the gt500 for a reason. That reason is a better overall balanced package.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Or how about the fact that GM uses magnetic ride control, Which Ferrari also borrowed. Fanboys never give credit when credit is due, Instead they make excuses.

Clearly the underdog which is a 100hp down and 250lbs heavier keeps beating the gt500 for a reason. That reason is a better overall balanced package.

Do you even read what you write?

People prove you wrong over and over again- yet you still continue to spew the same crap.

Kewlv8

Established Member

Where is it beating the GT500? In the subjective 'comfort' ranking by editors? Seems like the GT500 is putting the hurt on that rebadged caddy at drag and circle tracks alike. Real world is even worse. Even the fanbois on the GM forums can't wait for the bloated turd of a ZL1 to be replaced by the next gen. Till then, hide. Hide. :loser:

Captain Beyond

Established Member

:lol:

The real reason is a car with better comfort for your delicate vagina. :-D

Click here : http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2013-shelby-gt500-413/860525-summary.html

Last edited:

speednutz

Established Member
I am tired of all the magazines picking the ZL1 already. Can't wait for 5.0 magazine and Muscle Mustangs/Fast Fords to come out with there stuff. Just had to get that off my chest.

I will replace the brake pads and if I have to I will change out the rotors. I will buy a brake cooling kit when available as well.

All this soft talk about road manners and track ability.

The bottom line is if you want a ZL1 buy it and then get beat by a 2013 Shelby GT500 at the nearest red light. Case Closed!!!!!!!!!! :fm:

Just read an article in "Road and Track" about the 13 Shelby.
They said when they asked FORD SVT about their times on the Nordshlife track in Germany, Ford politely declined to give a time.
Ford Did go on to say: We encourage you to pit the Shelby up against the ZL1 on any track at any time !
So, I guess Ford must figure they got em' all by the ol' scrotum LOL

cobrakon

Established Member

I think alot of us forget that the zl1 and gt500 are muscle cars. They are meant to be fast in a straight line not on a road course. the 2013 gt500 is the greatest muscle car ever built.

From wikipedia

Muscle car is a term used to refer to a variety of high-performance automobiles.[1] The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines muscle cars as "any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving."[2] A large V8 engine is fitted in a 2-door, rear wheel drive, family-style mid-size or full-size car designed for four or more passengers. Sold at an affordable price, muscle cars are intended for mainly street use and occasional drag racing.[3][4][5][6] They are distinct from two-seat sports cars and expensive 2+2 GTs intended for high-speed touring and road racing. Developed simultaneously in their own markets, muscle cars also emerged from manufacturers in Australia, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and elsewhere.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
The only way I can make sense of this (having been a publisher) is that GM spends more on ads than Ford does....

Users who are viewing this thread