Silly question about a car I really want

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Looking at this: 2023 Ford Mustang GT Premium Huntington WV | Teays Valley Ashland Ironton OH West Virginia 1FA6P8CF0P5303822

I wish it was a manual and a PP car, but I love the color with the blackout package and the price isn't bad (the pic they have on their site is incorrect as it does not have a stripe and had the blackout package). So, my silly question is how well does a baby seat (rear facing and front facing) fit in the back of a new Mustang? I am the one who drops off and picks up the boy and have to have this capability.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
I'm sure it will fit, but its going to be a M'fer to get the little one in and out. Plus I'd bet the front seat will be on the dashboard by the time you get it all adjusted.
For comparison, we have an 2020 XC60 and the front passenger seat is too far up for me to be comfortable and I'm only 5'-11"

Ps: Its questions like this that make me think we should have a "Young Dads" thread.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Lol. I am not young (the wife is), but I am a first time dad. The couple of car seat review sites I found actually said they fit will with the seat not even needing to be moved or just moved a notch or so. I have found those sites to be questionable though, so that is why I asked.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
^^^^
Yup,

I did this, back-n-da-day, when I had my '03 Mustang Cobra...

It was a tight fit with the babyseat in backwards for infants/babies and the passenger seat was pushed forward & up-right.
Remember to use towels so that you don't get nasty creases in the seat.

Easiest way I found was to go from my driver's side; push/manuever the driver's seat forward so that I could pickup or strap-in my "little-one"...

Hmmm... You brought back memories when we started our family and I STILL was determined to keep all my "hot-rods"...

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I imagine the rear facing will have difficulty fitting without sending the front seat pretty far forward. The front facing will have an easier time.

Myself, I wouldn't want to even attempt getting a kid into the either of the seats regularly.
Eh, im sure the new Mustang's are roomier than the previous NE.

Me, my wife, and my first born fit in my Cobra. As you stated, my wife had to put her chair practically all the way to the front, but we made it work. It was my DD, I was also barely 20 lol Good ol times

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I imagine the rear facing will have difficulty fitting without sending the front seat pretty far forward. The front facing will have an easier time.

Myself, I wouldn't want to even attempt getting a kid into the either of the seats regularly.
My little guy is only 15 months old, but is already 35" tall and can climb in an out of his car seat. He is kind of an overachiever. He loves a fun vehicle too. Laughs and gets excited to ride in the truck and listen to metal. Not so much the wife's Mazda. He has a little steering wheel toy in the back that makes sounds and he constantly hits the burnout/rapid acceleration sound button!

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Having a young child should instill some realism on a car buyer rather than acting on impulse or a want. Focus on practicality and remember that doesn't automatically mean a vehicle has to be stale. Dr. Rick needs to get involved with this one.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Having a young child should instill some realism on a car buyer rather than acting on impulse or a want. Focus on practicality and remember that doesn't automatically mean a vehicle has to be stale. Dr. Rick needs to get involved with this one.
Screw practicality! I hear you, but it is nice to drive and consider.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My daughter has a rear facing seat in her Jeep but it's a 4-door. Still, seeing how the baby has to be fit into the baby seat I would imagine pretty much ANY 2-door coupe is going to be a pain in the butt. To occasionally have to use a baby seat in the rear, sure, it can be done albeit not all that easily due to the lack of space to maneuver. But every day, I wouldn't want to have to do that. Think carefully on this one.

All that said, consider how long you'd be using the rear facing car seat and how long you intend to keep the Mustang. And remember, soon enough your son will be old enough where he can help himself get into and out of the seat, and all you would have to do is snap and unsnap the buckle.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
My daughter has a rear facing seat in her Jeep but it's a 4-door. Still, seeing how the baby has to be fit into the baby seat I would imagine pretty much ANY 2-door coupe is going to be a pain in the butt. To occasionally have to use a baby seat in the rear, sure, it can be done albeit not all that easily due to the lack of space to maneuver. But every day, I wouldn't want to have to do that. Think carefully on this one.

All that said, consider how long you'd be using the rear facing car seat and how long you intend to keep the Mustang. And remember, soon enough your son will be old enough where he can help himself get into and out of the seat, and all you would have to do is snap and unsnap the buckle.
Although age-wise he should not be ready for front facing soon, weight and height-wise he will be. You see lots of conflicting information out there, but rear-facing he is already cramped and the official guidelines I have found say weight and height can overrule age.

So, by the end of the year or sooner he is probably going to have to go front facing. His legs are already scrunched.

7upstang

Established Member
I can imagine that rear facing would suck. Front facing wouldn't be the end of the world, still not fun. Does you kid ride with you every day?

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Carseats are huge. I ended up selling my Scab Raptor years ago due to the space needed for a rear facing car seat. The seat went behind the passenger seat and god forbid we ever got into a front impact. The person sitting there would lose their knees, as a 5'7" person had like 1" between their knee cap and the dash.

I'd assume it can work in a Mustang, but it'll be very uncomfortable.

I think out the pony cars, only the Challenger land yacht works the best for carseats.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Carseats are huge. I ended up selling my Scab Raptor years ago due to the space needed for a rear facing car seat. The seat went behind the passenger seat and god forbid we ever got into a front impact. The person sitting there would lose their knees, as a 5'7" person had like 1" between their knee cap and the dash.

I'd assume it can work in a Mustang, but it'll be very uncomfortable.

I think out the pony cars, only the Challenger land yacht works the best for carseats.
My Ranger is a scab and the seat fits fine, but no way anyone can ride in the passenger front seat. The rear swinging back doors do make loading the kid easy though. Even my wife's CX-5 is tight, but it is better than most. They make the damn seats so big now that when they are rear facing you pretty much have to have an Expedition or Navigator to still have room up front.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Hey, this was a nice "what if" exercise. I really love that green though... (attached a pic of the exact package on the 'Stang I was looking at)

Attachments

• Mustang.jpg
    Mustang.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 33

Users who are viewing this thread