Votes: 8 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

badams03

Established Member
Stick cars don't like radials.

I'm tubeless as well, 28" Hoosier QTPs.

+1 except I'm on a 27" tire. Can run these tires on the road and have no problem at all(30+ psi).

I know that this is an old thread, but how do you guys keep the slicks in place?

What do you mean in place? Are you referring to bead locking them? If so, these don't need it(or mine haven't seemed like they do).

Last edited:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Each tire compound has it's own unique set of advantages and disadvantages.

Figure out what you want the car to do, how you want it to function and that will be your best option.

Slicks offer more cushion for the drive line while radials can be driven on the street and in the rain(if that's a concern).

You can drive to the track with your radials, run your passes and then drive home with no drama.

You'll need to swap your slicks at the track which will be a pain if it starts to rain

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
You learned wrong then. dr's are not harder on a car then a slick. They just have to be driven differently and can not be treated like a slick and vice versa...

That is incorrect. The shock to your driveline components with a drag radial stick shift launch is much worse than that of a slick launch.

Stormtrooper5.0

Established Member
+1 except I'm on a 27" tire. Can run these tires on the road and have no problem at all(30+ psi).

What do you mean in place? Are you referring to bead locking them? If so, these don't need it(or mine haven't seemed like they do).

There were several guys on the page before that said their slicks were moving. And I've seen guys say the same on other forums.

boduke0220

Established Member
Cant say I recommend Launching from a high RPM on a radial ( unless your built for it) Slip the clutch a little and it will save your rear end. as everyone else has said you can let the clutch out faster on a slick because the sidewall will for the most part take the hit.

My car is my DD but I have a set of slicks in basement for when I go to the track. best times = sticky tire

86merc

Established Member
There were several guys on the page before that said their slicks were moving. And I've seen guys say the same on other forums.

That is natural to happen. You will see guys mark the tire and measure how much it moves from pass to pass. In most cases it doesn't move much at all.

You can use screws to hold the tire to the wheel. Research this before you do it. It has to be done with the correct hardware and installed a specific way. See what Mickey Thompson says about it here.

If you are not using tubes another option is using Permatex High Tack instead of the usual compound tire shops use when mounting tires. It works well. I use it on my radials and slicks. Learned that from racers that have gone much quicker than me.

Last edited:

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
How many miles are you guys getting out of your DR's out of curiosity?

when I got rims and tires I heard most get around 5000 miles if they are lucky which kept me from considering running them myself. I put more than 1000 miles on the car a month. Couldn't do that.

dabster

Established Member
when I got rims and tires I heard most get around 5000 miles if they are lucky which kept me from considering running them myself. I put more than 1000 miles on the car a month. Couldn't do that.

I'm with you, at least 12k a year unfortunately. That's probably on the easy side. I couldn't be getting new rear tires twice a year I don't think lol.

331coupe

Established Member
I'm with you, at least 12k a year unfortunately. That's probably on the easy side. I couldn't be getting new rear tires twice a year I don't think lol.

It could be worse, if you used slicks at the track and went often, you would be buying new rear tires alot more than twice a year:-D

Users who are viewing this thread