Slow to start

AC Mech

Established Member
After a recent visit to the track my car is slow to start. When I say slow to start it's not the starter not spinning it over quickly, it cranks for several seconds before lighting off. This is about two or three times as long as it was before. This only occurs after sitting several hours or overnight.(fuel press bleeding off?) I replaced the FRPS, but this did not help. The car sounds/runs normally. I searched prior to posting and saw others with the same issue(long cranking after a day at the track), but did not see any resolution. I am anal about my ride, so this is driving me nuts. Help!!!

*additional info* If I turn the key to the on position, then back off, then on again to start it starts like it used to. This seems to suggest a fuel problem? I intend on doing the fuel filter since I am on the stocker, it needs doing anyway. I dont think it's a solution, but it can't hurt.

Last edited:

KILRSVT

Established Member
have you tried replacing your fuel filter. i had the same issue replaced it and the long crank went away.good luck

Digital

Established Member
If you think the fuel pressure is the issue bring the car to ON (right before you crank it over where all the lights come on) and wait 3 seconds, you should hear a whirling sound from the trunk (the fuel pumps operating) for 3 seconds then itll stop, then bring your car back to off, then back to on for 3 seconds till the whirling sound goes away, then off, then on for 3 seconds and then crank it. If it fires right away that means your fuel line was empty previously.

If you have upgraded fuel pumps most of them do not have a check valve and the fuel will drain back into the tank over time.

How is the car running? any issues AT ALL? take it out and beat on it and make sure everything else is ok.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
mine does that every now and than,,

to make things even more strange,,mine likes to go dead(click,click) and i have to push start it...when we start it that way it seams to fireup the second the engine turns over,,,the tinyest bump...

so why does it have to crank several times with the key? mine starts on the 4th to 5th crank

Users who are viewing this thread