So i got a DUI and im only 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

makevelie187

Established Member
i was up in davis and i got a DUI don't know what i was thinking. anyone else been in my situation what they did when they went to court, anyone ever get a restricted permit to drive to work and school. anything will help thanks.

makevelie187

Established Member
is it worth getting an attorney or just admiting guilty. i have called around and some attorneys are around 6-7k that are good from what i hear. im independent i have all of this coming out of my pocket not my parents so i need to really look into it.at most i would pay around 5k and have my licence suspened for 1 year. i don't know what to do.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Go and plead guilty and throw yourself on the mercy of the court. Being that you are only 18 (an adult) and drinking, the judge wont take too kindly to it.

Good Luck and I hope it all works out for you.

crizzut

Established Member
no flame intended, but why did you get behind the wheel if you were under the influence and especially if you're under 21 and drinking? If I ever decide to have a drop of alcohol I don't drive, good luck though

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
crizzut said:
no flame intended, but why did you get behind the wheel if you were under the influence and especially if you're under 21 and drinking? If I ever decide to have a drop of alcohol I don't drive, good luck though

Not defending his actions, just pointing out that alcohol impairs judgement. Most drunk drivers feel they are "OK" to drive, but just don't realize how intoxicated they really are.

crizzut

Established Member
right, but even before you start to drink you should hand your keys to a sober buddy. maybe it's just me but I plan ahead and if I plan to drink I don't drive there

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Sorry to hear that, I'm dealing with the same problem right now. I was 20 at the time of the arrest but I'm 21 now and my attorney has pushed the court date a few times. Here in Georgia they only offer the restricted permit to those 21 and over so that's why we pushed the court date along. Either way I'm looking at hefty fines, 12 mo. probation, community service and a driving class. Not to mention the fact that my insurance will drop me like a bad habit. Good luck

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
When I was in Police academy, we were discussing DUI's, and the instructor handed out a sheet showing an itemized list of the costs a person spends after receiving their FIRST charge. After the fines, court costs, attorney fees, license reinstatement, etc...it came out to well over $10,000. Everybody who "slips up with bad judgement" from time to time, (you know who you are) should think about that next time you're out drinking. Not to mention how many jobs you will be disqualified from in the future because of a DUI. Just think about it.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
crizzut said:
The first thing you lose when drinking is your good sense of judgement reardless of what age you are.

BAMM BAMM

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
Just curious........what agency arrested you? Davis PD, campus PD, or CHP. What was your BAC? Was it over .08? Or were you arrested for being under 21 with .05 or greater in your system?

Stangmike

It looks mantastic
Established Member
my buddy got his DUI in concord(yay east bay). he lost his license for 6months and had to pay 10k in fines. I would suspect you will be paying around this as well.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
:nono: I'm 19 and had a buddy who made a few bad decisions. He ran his car into a tree and burnt to death. His BAC was .28. Prior to this he had a few DUI's. Drinking and driving is a definite no-no. Learn from others mistakes. I did. If i drink, which is very very rare, I lock my keys up while im still sober.

RIP Mark McCabe 7-26-04

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
Red98CobraStang said:
:nono: He ran his car into a tree and burnt to death. His BAC was .28. Prior to this he had a few DUI's. Drinking and driving is a definite no-no. Learn from others mistakes.

RIP Mark McCabe 7-26-04

Yes, unfortunately, sometimes there are worse consequences than being arrested for DUI. :bored:

makevelie187

Established Member
Red98CobraStang said:
:nono: I'm 19 and had a buddy who made a few bad decisions. He ran his car into a tree and burnt to death. His BAC was .28. Prior to this he had a few DUI's. Drinking and driving is a definite no-no. Learn from others mistakes. I did. If i drink, which is very very rare, I lock my keys up while im still sober.

RIP Mark McCabe 7-26-04

im sorry to hear that happened. it was the davis police that had pulled me over but its a long story. i wasn't pulled over for swerving on the road, we were at a party and my friend got into a fight with a guy and they called the cops on my firend so i said lets get out of here( not knowing they called them on us). got in the car drove a few blocks and about 5 cops were blocking me off out of no where. my BAC. i didn't take the breathalizer test i took the blood test, so my lvl could go down. it took them 3 hours to take me to the hospital to give blood. the test results haven't came back yet. while i was in jail though 4 hours after my arrest i was at .017 so i might not be over .08 but eather way im SCREWED because i'm 18. i plan on getting a very good attorney now so i hope for the best, and i learend my lesson. just happy i was driving my daily driver and not my good car.

crizzut

Established Member
CPViolation said:
The first thing you lose when drinking is your good sense of judgement reardless of what age you are.

I realize that, which is why you hand your keys to the "sober friend" when you start drinking

blkstangman88

Established Member
I got a funny story, my brother, who is 28, blew a .076, the legal limit here is .08. so the cop made him choose to go to jail or walk, so he locked his truck and walked to a fast food joint and called me at 2am. the next day he picked up his truck, and come to find out he locked the doors but left the windows down.

Even tho ur not over the legal limit doesnt mean ur drunk.....lol

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
blkstangman88 said:
my brother, who is 28, blew a .076, the legal limit here is .08. so the cop made him choose to go to jail or walk,
Why would the officer make him choose to be arrested or walk home?? He wasn't over the legal limit. He should've let him be on his way. :shrug: (Former LEO here), if he was under the legal limit but appeared to be a little tipsy, I would have had him call a friend to come and get him and his car.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
*removed by moderator*

Please read the guidelines for this forum before posting again.

Flaming, derogatory comments and/or flippant remarks about L.E. and/or L.E.O.'s is not permitted.

If you can not post constructively and within the guidelines please dont post at all.

Read your PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread