So i got a DUI and im only 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
These types of issues bring up a very serious problem in America today. As a population, it's not our Unemployment rate that is a problem; it is our high (and increasing) Unemployable rate.

The number of people who are not employable is increasing daily, as is the number of companies who refuse to hire employees with criminal backgrounds, no drivers licenses, etc.

One of the fastest growing industries in America is the pre-employment screening field.

Blacknblue

SVT G-Force Tester
Established Member
In the private sector a lot of jobs require that you be able to drive during working hours. My company will not hire anyone who has ever had a DUI, no matter how long ago it was. I think our insurance will not cover the company if there is an accident (even a sober one) by a former DUI driver.

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
makevelie187 said:
i was up in davis and i got a DUI don't know what i was thinking. anyone else been in my situation what they did when they went to court, anyone ever get a restricted permit to drive to work and school. anything will help thanks.

At least you know you were a bonehead. My uncle was killed by a drunk driver so I have no sympathy.

I do know that you are young and learn from mistakes. Hopefully you really did learn and never do it again.

My advice is get a good attorney and pray that God has mercy and that you have 3-5K.

V8MstngPwr

Established Member
Get a lawyer, trust me. I went through this 7 or 8 months ago when I was 19. I lawyered up immediately and it worked great. In NM the courts only have 6 months from the incident to bring you to trial and they didn't. A lawyer will know every possible way to get you out of the trial. Even if you lose a good lawyer will take it to district court where you always stand a better chance of winning. Right now I am serving my 1 year suspension because I refused to interlock my car or anything else. Lawyer up and let him handle it, believe me that's the best way to go.

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
And people wonder why society is going in the crapper

BigZach said:
Are you being serious?

Yep... I know lots of jobs that wont hire someone with alcohol related convictions... or any convictions for that matter. Hell... I know of jobs that you can't get if you have too many traffic tickets.

I will never understand the line of thinking of today's youth. No one thinks they have to take responsibility for the things they do or think about the consquences of their actions before they act. Saturday night, me and the two guys I work with out of my barracks made 2 DWI arrests... one 19, one 22... both kids got rides home from other kids that were of similar age and also had prior DWI convictions... one of the kids was one I did for being a .23 about 6 months ago, the other one was picked up by her brother who just got his license back from his conviction... she thought she was going to Cali in august to continue college for graphic art design... her brother very blunty told her that she can forget about going to college in the fall.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Also a lot of state licenses will be hard to get or not at all. For example getting a bar card!!

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
V8MstngPwr said:
Get a lawyer, trust me. I went through this 7 or 8 months ago when I was 19. I lawyered up immediately and it worked great. In NM the courts only have 6 months from the incident to bring you to trial and they didn't. A lawyer will know every possible way to get you out of the trial. Even if you lose a good lawyer will take it to district court where you always stand a better chance of winning. Right now I am serving my 1 year suspension because I refused to interlock my car or anything else. Lawyer up and let him handle it, believe me that's the best way to go.

Unless of course you get stopped while driving on the suspended license. If I can make a suggestion - if you are going to give advice, make sure you have some to give..................

FranticFocus05

Established Member
I was at a party a few weeks ago and my friend had been drinking all night, not heavy but enough. When it was time to go home I took his keys (even though he said he was alright :poke: sure he was) and drove his truck home with him in the passanger seat. He is 19 and I am 18 I had picked up a beer but when I noticed he was drinking I stuck with soda. I hadent even opened it so I was 100% clean but what could of happened had I gotten pulled over (or stoped at a check point since there are tons around my area) on the way home. Me being totaly sober and him tipsy or intoxicated and being 19?

Could I of gotten in trouble for anything? And I am assuming he could of been ticketed or arrested for underage drinking?

Dont mean to jack the thread just interested me.

Good luck man, best advice is get a lawyer. Some people said judges like it if you admit guilt but your gunna want a lawyer, this is your life your playing with you messed up now its time to do the right thing and save your rearend. -not ment to be mean been there and done that (not DUI) you learn from everything man dont let it get to you to much just learn from it, and never do it again.

V8MstngPwr

Established Member
Mv brings up a good question. I know that here in NM you cannot be cited for anything if the alchohol is already in your system. You have to physically have it in your possesion to be cited for a MIP charge.

Hotrod Tommy

SVT Poster
Established Member
That sucks, bro. I had an attorney that cost $1000 and he knocked mine down to a wet reckless. Only lost my license for 6 months. *edited by moderator* I had only 2 beers within the hour and I'm 6'6" 200lbs, 8 years, still bitter) Still unless you beat it you will be paying hefty fines and insurance will be a killer for years. MAKE SURE you do not get a second offense 'cause it's all downhill from there. You could look at it this way: You're young so it won't ruin your life. It may be $$$, but it's a good lesson to learn early, as long as you learn it. I lost a good friend when I was 19. He was WASTED. It was his second high BAC bad car accident. Call a cab, $30 is a lot less.

Last edited by a moderator:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
In CA you can find yourself with a reduction of the charge at sentencing to a "wet & reckless", however the DMV still shows that on your record as a misdemeanor conviction, it still counts as a prior DUI as it relates to sentencing in the future and your insurance company will still consider it a DUI. The only thing you gain is a lighter fine.

Also the DMV will still suspend your license for the same length of time, so there differences are again just the fine, which you will end up handing over to the attorney who worked hard to get you such a "great deal".

The best way to avoid such problems is pretty obvious.

Lawman85

Banned
V8MstngPwr said:
Mv brings up a good question. I know that here in NM you cannot be cited for anything if the alchohol is already in your system. You have to physically have it in your possesion to be cited for a MIP charge.

In Ga. the driver would be OK if he hadn't consumed any alcohol. The passenger would be subject to arrest or citation. Here, all I have to do is smell the alcohol on your breath and suspect you are under 21, and you can go to jail.

kbgt

custom user title here
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
If you are convicted of a Class C Misdemeanor, it will not be removed from your record. It will always exist in the system.
in the state of texas a class c will clear your record after 10 years according to texas police.

kbgt

custom user title here
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
I am glad you could care less. But if you apply for a position requiring a security clearance or a background investigation, it will show up and it will effect your chances of getting a position requiring either.
this is not entirely true there are quite a few people in the army more in perticular my company who have convicted drug charges and still kept their security clearance.

Lawman85

Banned
kbgt said:
this is not entirely true there are quite a few people in the army more in perticular my company who have convicted drug charges and still kept their security clearance.

Wow...now I really feel safe... felony drug users with security clearances, and people want to bash on LE.

Big Top GT

Jackstand Racer
Established Member
makevelie187 said:
i was up in davis and i got a DUI don't know what i was thinking. anyone else been in my situation what they did when they went to court, anyone ever get a restricted permit to drive to work and school. anything will help thanks.

I didn't read any post other than your first one to open the thread.

To the author of this thread I say:

Good for you. I hope they take your license forever and send you to jail.

That is all. :rockon: :rockon:

Alan

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
At my base, we have the ALS school running an Airmen Against Drunk Driving program, the base and the squardon... They are cracking down HARD. IMO, thats how it needs to be. There are countless people to call to get a ride. I tell all my friends, subordinates and overhead supervision, if they need a ride... call. I dont care. I would rather get out of bed after sleeping for an hour than pick them up out of jail, or worse.

As far as security clearances go... I know of a few people that have lost theirs and a few that havent because of a DUI in their past. It seems hit or miss.

bottom line... you messed up by drinking underage, getting in the car, starting it then driving it. It would have been 1 million times smarter to walk. I'm not claiming to be perfect, but... when I do drink, there is always a sober driver. Plan ahead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread