So i got a DUI and im only 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
yes it will cost you a bundle but no it will not keep you from getting jobs. heck even the current president of the united states got a dwi in his youth. just learn from this mistake.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Last edited by a moderator:

blkstangman88

Established Member
he was tipsy just hadnt had a drink for awhile.*edited by moderator*

Last edited by a moderator:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
VERTIBLEMENACE said:
yes it will cost you a bundle but no it will not keep you from getting jobs. heck even the current president of the united states got a dwi in his youth. just learn from this mistake.

Sorry to say having a DUI conviction will stop you from getting jobs! There are plenty of jobs that require security clearances you cant get with a DUI. Same with L.E. jobs and jobs requiring the public trust.

Elected positions like the president is okay, if the people vote you in.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Sorry to say having a DUI conviction will stop you from getting jobs! There are plenty of jobs that require security clearances you cant get with a DUI. Same with L.E. jobs and jobs requiring the public trust.

Elected positions like the president is okay, if the people vote you in.

interesting!

thx for that info :beer:

i will add this though... at least, a public employer can use it as an excuse for not hiring you if they want to, just as they can alot of things.

i've been in the public sector for several years now. (education, which requires public trust) i think that human resources units' take on it is that as long as an applicant is honest and puts it on the application and the organization wants to employ them, they will still hire an applicant with a dui. (i am proof) but they do extensive background and doj checks, so you can't lie about it.

but like you say l.e. may be different

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
merauder323 said:
*removed by moderator*

Please read the guidelines for this forum before posting again.

Flaming, derogatory comments and/or flippant remarks about L.E. and/or L.E.O.'s is not permitted.

If you can not post constructively and within the guidelines please dont post at all.

Read your PM
Sorry for breaking the rules Moderator.

Let me re-phrase myself : Some cops just arent "very nice". But I have met LEOs that where outstanding individuals.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
If you want to fight it, fight it. Your lawyer will attack it from many different ways to find holes in the situation you were in. There are quite a few things they can do, so keep your hopes up, for your sakes. Most likely, if you try to fight it, they'll push it off and off and you might come to a plea deal... Depends on your case....

If you do it again, you're quite frankly an idiot, however, don't get too down about it. You've put yourself in a shitty situation, but people make mistakes and EVERYONE pays a price.

You gotta explain your existance right? Just keep a note in your head, that you got lucky and didn't hurt anyone or yourself in the process.

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
90% of highschool seniors drink in my school, or so it seems (im 18 too). best way for me to avoid doing something stupid is leave the car at home if i know im going to be drinking at all or going to be at a party all night. i always hitch a ride from someone and then call an older friend to come pick me up who doesn't drink at all. if i take my car out and stop at a party, i make sure not to consume ANYTHING and normally have something else planned that night to take my mind off alcohol like a cute girl a few blocks away.

never drank and drove ever, just not worth it! hope you can learn from your mistakes...good luck

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
blkstangman88 said:
I got a funny story, my brother, who is 28, blew a .076, the legal limit here is .08. so the cop made him choose to go to jail or walk, so he locked his truck and walked to a fast food joint and called me at 2am. the next day he picked up his truck, and come to find out he locked the doors but left the windows down.

Even tho ur not over the legal limit doesnt mean ur drunk.....lol

yea one of my friends got offered to get arrested or park his car and let the officer take him home. i dont know what his BAC was at the time. also the same guy who got pulled over and failed the field sobriety tests, then when he got to jail blew under the legal limit and they just kept him overnight.

and to the post who said he should have let him go...even if he was under the legal limit .076 will effect your body and may very well cause him to have an accident.

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
Five4Rider said:
Why would the officer make him choose to be arrested or walk home?? He wasn't over the legal limit. He should've let him be on his way. :shrug: (Former LEO here), if he was under the legal limit but appeared to be a little tipsy, I would have had him call a friend to come and get him and his car.

If you're a former LEO then you know the box is not calibrated and even if .08 is the limit for DWI... there is probably a lesser offense for .06 - .07 like in NY (DWAI). In NY (and I'm sure elsewhere) you can be arrested for just appearing to be intox.

MTI LS1

Wow, it must be bad in other states b/c in Texas this is a Class C Misdemeanor and will be removed when you turn 21. All you have to do is pay a fine, lose your license for a specified amount of time, and go to some classes.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
If you are convicted of a Class C Misdemeanor, it will not be removed from your record. It will always exist in the system.

PHFIRENO7783

Mad poster
Established Member
makevelie187 said:
i was up in davis and i got a DUI don't know what i was thinking. anyone else been in my situation what they did when they went to court, anyone ever get a restricted permit to drive to work and school. anything will help thanks.

When you go to see the Judge. Bend over and grab your ankles. CAUSE YOUR GOING TO GET FU$Ked in the ass. HAHAHAHAHA Thats what drinkin and driving gets you.

I got Two words for you: BUS PASS

spinscan

Established Member
A friend of mine who is a cpa got a dui 6 years ago and is still paying for it. A job he had applied for rejected him when they found out and he has basically been working temp type jobs ever since.

He got stopped for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. This little incident has cost him thousands of dollars as well as screwed up his professional life. Since that happened to him I don't drive if I have had anything to drink. It's not worth it.

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
spinscan said:
He got stopped for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. This little incident has cost him thousands of dollars as well as screwed up his professional life. Since that happened to him I don't drive if I have had anything to drink. It's not worth it.

Now if only everyone caught the drift like it seems you did. There's nothing wrong with going out for dinner with your girlfriend and having 2 beers with your steak. I'm the DWI hammer (I'll arrest anyone for DWI and I don't care that you just lost your job and your wife is cheating on you) at my barracks and I have to laugh every time I ask someone how much they've had and they give the routine answer of "a couple" because everyone knows 2 commercial beers aren't going to put you over the limit... They usually change their story after they fail HGN and I tell them I believe they have had X number of drinks based on the twitching of their eyes.

edit: Spelling... I've had more than 2 already :rockon:

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I would ask "how many beers did you have"? And the usual answer was of course, two. Then I would ask if that was two 6 packs.

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
Trooper4985 said:
They usually change their story after they fail HGN and I tell them I believe they have had X number of drinks based on the twitching of their eyes.
HGN is the shit, the eyes never lie. I'm always asked by my friends, "Hey man, do the eye test thingy". lol :rockon:

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
Trooper4985 said:
If you're a former LEO then you know the box is not calibrated and even if .08 is the limit for DWI... there is probably a lesser offense for .06 - .07 like in NY (DWAI). In NY (and I'm sure elsewhere) you can be arrested for just appearing to be intox.
Sorry, but no. If you pass the FSTs, and pass a breathalizer (which NOBODY in my dept. carried in their car anyways, so FST's were the only test), you were free to go on your way. You can't charge someone with a crime they haven't commited. lol

97CobraTT

2003 Sonic Blue Cobra
Established Member
Just plead guilty if it's your first and only driving offense ever, you might get off with a probation type thing. You probably won't get off free of anything but it will be better than trying to fight something you were clearly guilty of. Judges tend to show some mercy when you admit you were stupid enough to do it in the first place. This is just coming from my past experiences never DUI because I just don't do it. I drink knowing I have to drive home, I stop myself ahead of time so when the time comes I'm sober. That's just how I do things though. Goodluck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread