Soldiers come in...

03cobraracer

Established Member
hey guys i leave in less then 2 months for OSUT at leonard wood for 31B. a friend of mine whos infantry told me he had to pay for his uniforms which was like $1k. but i didnt get to ask him if that was in basic training he had to pay for them when they were issued, or if that was later on down the road for replacement uniforms or dress uniforms. hes deployed to iraq right now so i cant really ask him lol. just wondering what the deal is with that, i was just curious.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
You'll be issued ACU's in basic. You dont have to pay for them. However every year you get a clothing allowance for nothing but buying uniforms, but you can spend it however you want.

And when you deploy you get a shit ton of uniforms for free...

Last edited:

svt_fan1129

Established Member
pay for uniforms ? Thank god we didnt pay for ours, I had so much shit...

but if we lose issued kit we'd have to pay for them: 40$ for pants and 67$ for combat shirts.

svt_fan1129

Established Member
You'll be issued ACU's in basic. You dont have to pay for them. However every year you get a clothing allowance for nothing but buying uniforms.

ACU's are useless ? just looks cool imo. have u guys came out with multi cam yet ?

we have the desert one that looks exactly like urs and our green ones. we're currently in the process making a urban camo.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
We've had multicam for quite a while now.

You'll be issued a few sets during Basic as Root said. After that you'll receive a uniform allowance as enlisted.

O side receives a one time $600 uniform allowance when put on active duty orders.

03cobraracer

Established Member
You'll be issued ACU's in basic. You dont have to pay for them. However every year you get a clothing allowance for nothing but buying uniforms, but you can spend it however you want.

And when you deploy you get a shit ton of uniforms for free...

awesome thanks! i didnt think i had to but wanted to ask. idk what he was talking about then...

03cobraracer

Established Member
We've had multicam for quite a while now.

You'll be issued a few sets during Basic as Root said. After that you'll receive a uniform allowance as enlisted.

O side receives a one time $600 uniform allowance when put on active duty orders.

they still issue the usual ACU thought right, not the multicam? thats only for deployments if im correct?

blackmagicmach

The PoPo
Established Member
hey guys i leave in less then 2 months for OSUT at leonard wood for 31B. a friend of mine whos infantry told me he had to pay for his uniforms which was like $1k. but i didnt get to ask him if that was in basic training he had to pay for them when they were issued, or if that was later on down the road for replacement uniforms or dress uniforms. hes deployed to iraq right now so i cant really ask him lol. just wondering what the deal is with that, i was just curious.

dude thats narley i leave the first week of March to ft. lenoard wood for the same job..

TrevorR90

Banned
Been in for almost 3 years now, have not had to pay for a single set of uniforms.... You get 4 free sets when you go into basic and if those get torn or worn out, you get to exchange them for new uniforms.. Same with your AIT, they get worn out or torn there you can exchange them in for free when your AIT is up. After that and you go to your first duty station they give you an allowance every year to buy uniforms or boots or any military clothing you need. If you keep up your ACUs and keep them in good order you won't have to buy any every year. I've been in for almost 3 years and I still have the ACUs I had from basic training.

03cobraracer

Established Member
dude thats narley i leave the first week of March to ft. lenoard wood for the same job..

really? thats awesome, i will only be there a month when you get there, probably still be in red phase. i leave Feb 7th

Been in for almost 3 years now, have not had to pay for a single set of uniforms.... You get 4 free sets when you go into basic and if those get torn or worn out, you get to exchange them for new uniforms.. Same with your AIT, they get worn out or torn there you can exchange them in for free when your AIT is up. After that and you go to your first duty station they give you an allowance every year to buy uniforms or boots or any military clothing you need. If you keep up your ACUs and keep them in good order you won't have to buy any every year. I've been in for almost 3 years and I still have the ACUs I had from basic training.

ok cool thats what i thought , idk WTF my buddy was talking about then..lol

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
ACU's are useless ? just looks cool imo. have u guys came out with multi cam yet ?

we have the desert one that looks exactly like urs and our green ones. we're currently in the process making a urban camo.

Guessing your a Marine? And IMO that ACU's dont even look cool. We have alot of the unit that deployed here recently showing up with Multicam, we still haven't been issued any. I doubt we will though.

Urban camo would look pretty kick ass, are they going to be the ACU pattern or more of the multicam pattern?

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Guessing your a Marine? And IMO that ACU's dont even look cool. We have alot of the unit that deployed here recently showing up with Multicam, we still haven't been issued any. I doubt we will though.

Urban camo would look pretty kick ass, are they going to be the ACU pattern or more of the multicam pattern?

He's in the Canadian Army...Comparable to JROTC.

The ACUs are supposedly to be extinct within the next year and a half. The recent Army Times had a story on it. Options they showed were like the marines and using the desert digital and the woodland digital or just using multicam period.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Oh yea, just seen his location. And the Army Times never seems to be right. I really do hope they get rid of the ACU's, their such shit. Multicam would be great, Marines camo would be a plus also.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Dunno about you guys, but when i came in on 03 i was issued a smart card, and my uniforms WERE deducted. This was at leonard Hood.

blackfang

Established Member
Just touching on what Trevor said, before you graduate from OSUT and your uniforms are ripped, your DS should have them DX'd for you so you can get new ones. If you don't, then you will have to pay for new ones. Usually 2 weeks out from graduation I had my platoon guide and Squad leaders get me a list of who all needed new uniforms. So don't forget to ask him or her.

Last edited:

03cobraracer

Established Member
Just touching on what Trevor said, before you graduate from OSUT and your uniforms are ripped, your DS should have them DX'd for you so you can get new ones. If you don't, then you will have to pay for new ones. Usually 2 weeks out from graduation I had my platoon guide and Squad leaders get me a list of who all needed new uniforms. So don't forget to ask him or her.

thanks blackfang thats good info to know. i will keep that in mind while im there. i was just on the futuresoldiers site and i have exactly 50 days till i ship out so its getting close. cant wait to finally do something again, ive been unemployed since january.

Users who are viewing this thread