Some New Mods Delivered While I Was on Vacation

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Crap that sucks! Such a pretty truck. At least everyone is ok. You need to report the bags not deploying to Ford.

Coiled03

Established Member
I wonder if the airbags not deploying is it because the force may have been more lateral? I'm not entirely sure how airbag deployment sensors work. My understanding is that they're nothing but accelerometers, and once the reading crosses a certain threshold, the bags deploy. I don't know if they're directional, though. In other words, does it have to be acceleration in the fore-aft direction for front airbags to deploy, or do lateral forces work as well?

Either way, the damage certainly makes it look like they should've popped. Glad to hear you're OK.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Good to hear everyone walked away first and foremost.

Hope the wife is able to get straightened out as well.

Hopefully that's a Totaled out vehicle, I'd be pissed to have to take it back with a dimished value check unless it came out substantially in my favor.

Keep us updated on the air bags, both in this thread and the Hot Wives and Girlfriends Thread.

2k2leenin

Established Member
Short answer- the change in velocity (Delta V) was such that the vehicle's computer determined seatbelts only were enough to restrain the occupants.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Just got off the phone with the service manager at the dealership I purchased the truck from, they told me to call Ford again and then my lawyer (which I already did with regard to the driver at fault).

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
That sucks OP. Hopefully your wife recovers fully, especially her back.

If it's totaled I may buy it back depending on the numbers. I've been wanting to get an old F100 and do that swap....another member on here has a thread detailing exactly that. If everything goes well that may be in the cards.

Link?

Seems suspect at those speeds though no?

It does seem suspect, but kinda depends on the crash. You already started slowing down (slightly) prior to the crash, and if you say just hit the rear of the bed and kept coasting I could see it not being enough. Judging by your wifes injuries, that doesn't seem to be the case though.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
@13COBRA - - Welp, just got off the phone with Ford and as soon as I mentioned my Wife's injuries he pretty much told me to deal with my insurance company with regard to the airbag deployment. This was right after I gave him my VIN and asked him if my airbags should deploy in a direct front end collision at approximately 40 mph. He said yes. Any advice?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
@13COBRA - - Welp, just got off the phone with Ford and as soon as I mentioned my Wife's injuries he pretty much told me to deal with my insurance company with regard to the airbag deployment. This was right after I gave him my VIN and asked him if my airbags should deploy in a direct front end collision at approximately 40 mph. He said yes. Any advice?

Are all of those calls recorded? Maybe your insurance company can contact ford and get the recording. Sounds like he ended the call because Ford doesn't want to be liable for injuries.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Thanks man, it blows. I love this truck and babied her. It didn't have one scratch, I did a paint correction about 2 months ago and got compliments on her all the time. And she ran 12.98 @ 103, it was a BLAST to drive for what it is. I ordered it as I wanted back in '15 and took the best care of it that I knew how.

Here's the F100 link.

https://svtperformance.com/forums/threads/my-projects-page-ecoboost-427-f100s-plus-more.1045229/

As far as slowing down my brake input was probably less than a second because the guy came out of no where and I couldn't see him coming until he was right there. I hit the side and mid bed of his truck and mine stopped right after the collision....my calf is still sore from being on the binders so heavily, and yeah I lift bro. :)

That sucks OP. Hopefully your wife recovers fully, especially her back.

Link?

It does seem suspect, but kinda depends on the crash. You already started slowing down (slightly) prior to the crash, and if you say just hit the rear of the bed and kept coasting I could see it not being enough. Judging by your wifes injuries, that doesn't seem to be the case though.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Yes the prompt said they were recorded. I have the call time and duration save in a screenshot on my phone.

Are all of those calls recorded? Maybe your insurance company can contact ford and get the recording. Sounds like he ended the call because Ford doesn't want to be liable for injuries.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Thanks man, it blows. I love this truck and babied her. It didn't have one scratch, I did a paint correction about 2 months ago and got compliments on her all the time. And she ran 12.98 @ 103, it was a BLAST to drive for what it is. I ordered it as I wanted back in '15 and took the best care of it that I knew how.

Here's the F100 link.

https://svtperformance.com/forums/threads/my-projects-page-ecoboost-427-f100s-plus-more.1045229/

As far as slowing down my brake input was probably less than a second because the guy came out of no where and I couldn't see him coming until he was right there. I hit the side and mid bed of his truck and mine stopped right after the collision....my calf is still sore from being on the binders so heavily, and yeah I lift bro. :)

If you came to an abrupt halt, which it really sounds like it, especially with your wife's injuries, they should have gone off.

My point with the brake tap, even just ever so slightly, would have already given the accelerators a baseline prior to collision, and if it was something the truck kind of pushed through and coasted a ways could have been enough of a gradual stop to prevent airbags from going off. Coming to a complete and immediate stop from 40 is not that though.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
first, so sorry to hear what happened and pray that all goes well with and for your wife.
second. you may want to speak to your attorney about considering an accident reconstructionist just to establish the issue with the air bags not deploying. also do some internet searches on complaints for your year truck, specifically for the same issue with the air bags.

examples:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings?cmpid=TSBSNF0117

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2015/seat_belts_air_bags/air_bags.shtml

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Complaint/2015/Ford/F-150/Airbag

also, while you are there in the area and as soon as you can, check all around for anyone, businesss, etc. that may have video of your accident. look for banks, businesses, etc. that have outside camera's and look to see if the intersection has any cameras. if so, go in, ask them if the camera points in the direction of the accident scene. if so, advise you would like a copy of the vidoe and of course, offer to pay for it. just because the other driver was cited, that doesn't mean he will assume liability and even may claim he had the right of way. you have to protect yourself. while in the businesses there, ask if anyone saw the accident so you can add any additional witnesses.

Last edited:

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Thats sucks. I hope you and your wife have a speedy recovery and you come out ahead with the truck

Jefe

Established Member
Damn thats awful, hopefully the wife gets better soon. What broke the stereo?

I was in a front end collision in an SRT8 Jeep back in 2006. Hit a palm tree head on at 35-40 and no airbags. Buddy hit his head on the windshield and cracked it.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Looks like I'm not the only one.
upload_2017-8-22_13-1-17.png

first, so sorry to hear what happened and pray that all goes well with and for your wife.
second. you may want to speak to your attorney about considering an accident reconstructionist just to establish the issue with the air bags not deploying. also do some internet searches on complaints for your year truck, specifically for the same issue with the air bags.

examples:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings?cmpid=TSBSNF0117

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2015/seat_belts_air_bags/air_bags.shtml

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Complaint/2015/Ford/F-150/Airbag

also, while you are there in the area and as soon as you can, check all around for anyone, businesss, etc. that may have video of your accident. look for banks, businesses, etc. that have outside camera's and look to see if the intersection has any cameras. if so, go in, ask them if the camera points in the direction of the accident scene. if so, advise you would like a copy of the vidoe and of course, offer to pay for it. just because the other driver was cited, that doesn't mean he will assume liability and even may claim he had the right of way. you have to protect yourself. while in the businesses there, ask if anyone saw the accident so you can add any additional witnesses.

Coiled03

Established Member
Short answer- the change in velocity (Delta V) was such that the vehicle's computer determined seatbelts only were enough to restrain the occupants.

That's a garbage answer. Change in velocity means nothing without the change in time over which it occurred.

97snakebite

Established Member
I wonder if the impact push the sensors downward and that's why they didn't go off. But man hard enough to crack the LCD screen that's crazy

Users who are viewing this thread