Someone help me understand Terminator pricing

BladeX10

Established Member
So i'm looking around and what i'm seeing is Terminators with ~25k miles going for ~$21kish and i'm seeing the same car with same bolt ons with ~80k miles going for ~$18-$19k, Even seeing very low mileage <10k for ~$25k.

Why are very low mileage Terminators and 80k+ mile Terminators being priced within $5k from each other? I'm really having a hard time figuring this out.

Zemedici

Established Member
i....i....I dont know how to answer your question? The market for Cobras has plateau'ed, meaning it wont go much lower. My car's higher on up there in miles, and i could still probably get 15kish for it as it sits.

Answer: Because the 03-04 cobras arent getting any MORE common, and therefore the market value has leveled out.

BladeX10

Established Member
i....i....I dont know how to answer your question? The market for Cobras has plateau'ed, meaning it wont go much lower. My car's higher on up there in miles, and i could still probably get 15kish for it as it sits.

Answer: Because the 03-04 cobras arent getting any MORE common, and therefore the market value has leveled out.

Yeah, I understand the market has hit a plateau, but i dont understand why the low mileage cars are so cheap and the high mileage cars are so expensive. A 20k mile Terminator should be a $28k car if an 80k mile Terminator is being priced at 18k.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
People aren't paying for them. Thats the problem. A bone stock 30k mile car is priced within $3-4k to a 90k bolt on tuned car.

You stated in the OP the lower mileage unmodded cars are going for more money. People are willing to pay for that. People can ask anything they want for a car. It's the price they actually get which is important.

BladeX10

Established Member
You stated in the OP the lower mileage unmodded cars are going for more money. People are willing to pay for that. People can ask anything they want for a car. It's the price they actually get which is important.

Youre not getting what i'm saying. I'm saying the price gap between a beat on high mileage Terminator is priced within $3-4k to a nice low mileage stock car. Why is the price margin so slim? Why aren't these nice low mileage cars not going for high $20k? All the prices of these cars are extremely clumped together and i'm not understanding why.

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
You have two people buying a Cobra. One that wants mods and one that wants stock. With these cars the millage plays a little part but not as much as a normal car

Low mileage mostly stock = $25k
Low mileage with whipple/kennebell = 22k
Low mileage with full bolt on's = 20k
higher mileage mostly stock = 18k
higher mileage with whipple/kennebell =19k
higher mileage with full bolt on's = 17k

by lower mileage I mean average 30k miles (less miles bring a little more $$)
by higher mileage I mean average 80k miles (more miles bring less $$)
And of coarse there are cars that fall between

I maybe off a 1k on some but I feel like that is where Terminators fall as far as average price

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Youre not getting what i'm saying. I'm saying the price gap between a beat on high mileage Terminator is priced within $3-4k to a nice low mileage stock car. Why is the price margin so slim? Why aren't these nice low mileage cars not going for high $20k? All the prices of these cars are extremely clumped together and i'm not understanding why.

Again, back to your OP, $5k is 25% of $20k. 25% that's a lot, not a little.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I get what your saying. I would say I think your ranges are a little off on the low end. A high mile bolt on car that shows the miles is going to be more like 16-17k. So if you look at the percentages, that's still quite a premium for the low mile garage queens.

Zemedici

Established Member
So i'm looking around and what i'm seeing is Terminators with ~25k miles going for ~$21kish and i'm seeing the same car with same bolt ons with ~80k miles going for ~$18-$19k, Even seeing very low mileage <10k for ~$25k.

Why are very low mileage Terminators and 80k+ mile Terminators being priced within $5k from each other? I'm really having a hard time figuring this out.

18k is high for an 80k mile car - maybe 16

21 is 5k more than 18 which as stated above is ~30% of the vehicle's price, which is a big margin in my opinion.

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
I get what your saying. I would say I think your ranges are a little off on the low end. A high mile bolt on car that shows the miles is going to be more like 16-17k. So if you look at the percentages, that's still quite a premium for the low mile garage queens.

I was talking about high millage good condition cobras. Those beat to hell are not even worth looking at imo

72SBC

Established Member
I'll sell you my mostly stock 5k mile SY for 28k.:beer:

Last edited:

BladeX10

Established Member
This probably has something to do with the high mile Terminator owners thinking their car is worth way more than it really is worth and the lower mileage cars are priced appropriately, I dont know. I just know the market for these cars is ****ed.

cj428mach

Established Member
I think the reason is because of the bang for the buck the Terminators offer and their ability to handle power for long periods of time. I don't think you can build a car that can make the kind of power that a Terminator can for much less than they go for. My friend bought an 02 WS6 and it was comparable to my SB terminator in miles and condition. I can tell you in order for him to be able to run with a bolt on Cobra he would need to spend at least enough to cover the difference in price between our cars and still might not keep up.

Zemedici

Established Member
This probably has something to do with the high mile Terminator owners thinking their car is worth way more than it really is worth and the lower mileage cars are priced appropriately, I dont know. I just know the market for these cars is ****ed.

people can ask whatever they want for something. Doesnt mean they will get it. Demand determines pricing. Always.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
You are dealing with price bracketing on both ends for different reasons.

Most people just are not willing ot pay more than $26k for an 11 yr old car, no matter how beutiful or unmolested it is. $30k is just way to close to other cars that many might like just as well. ie: GT500 or Vettes

The bottom end is also capped just because People looking for a fun driver with an exclusive 'cool' factor are willing to (apperently) pay $15-16k even if its not perfect.

Shoot, I decided NOT to sell my high mileage cobra, just because it was worth more to me, than the $15k that it would likely bring. I am the original owner, and it has 92k miles and is in very good condition. Never raced, or beat on, and has only minor bolt-ons. Its just way more car than I could replace for that price, so I would just rather keep and enjoy it.

BladeX10

Established Member

Most people just are not willing ot pay more than $26k for an 11 yr old car, no matter how beutiful or unmolested it is. $30k is just way to close to other cars that many might like just as well. ie: GT500 or Vettes

The bottom end is also capped just because People looking for a fun driver with an exclusive 'cool' factor are willing to (apperently) pay $15-16k even if its not perfect.

Shoot, I decided NOT to sell my high mileage cobra, just because it was worth more to me, than the $15k that it would likely bring. I am the original owner, and it has 92k miles and is in very good condition. Never raced, or beat on, and has only minor bolt-ons. Its just way more car than I could replace for that price, so I would just rather keep and enjoy it.

That actually makes alot of sense. Both ends are capped pretty close to each other if you think about it.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
As already mentioned in the thread....what sellers are asking and what buyers are offering is not entirely evident from just skimming the market section of svtperformance or your local trade sites. You need historical transaction sale data to really come up with a number (and you probably will never see this data).

If the 80k mile cars are asking $18....but settling on $15....while the low mile cars are asking $25 and not budging until that is met...you can see how just skimming for sale ads is not very scientific at all

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member

That also helps explain why the bottom is what it is, if you aren't willing to take 15k, others aren't either, supply of < 20k cars goes down, price goes up for the ones that are out there.

I also don't think it's a Terminator specific problem, I think C5z06's have a similar high\low range, even though there were 10k more of them produced than 03/04's (Yes I had to lookup the number of Z's)

Users who are viewing this thread