Something is slipping....badly. Clutch? HELP, PLEASE!!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
How about no. I don't really care to PROVE to you or anyone the specific weight differences of each component. I honestly have better things to do right now. I'm sure the info is out there, I'm just not going to read through 20 page threads to provide facts just because you are a skeptic. Why are you so against the possibility the clutch and flywheel are heavier? Does that bother you personally? Sure seems so. I don't really care if you believe me or not, I'm just stating personal observations that are shared by others. I know my car very well so I know when something is different. Immediately after a major repair with different components that are bigger and supposed to be stronger and heavier the car magically feels different? Hmmm, wonder what it could be. Yeah that's a no-brainer.

then stop crying about oh i feel so much slower. :pop:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Thanks, Tob. That's good info. I have no doubt this is a far better clutch, I'm loving it so far. I'm not too worried about the additional rotating mass. It was just something I noticed and wanted to see if anyone else noticed it also. Car has plenty of power to get going when I need it to.

So I plan on getting 3.73s soon. Is that considered a mild gear? I think it'll be fine.

3:73's should be the norm IMO.... Highway driving is tits, especially if you have more boost then others.

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
then stop crying about oh i feel so much slower. :pop:

You got me, thanks for calling me out on my actions. I used a whole box of tissues crying and complaining in this thread about losing 100rwhp. Ha ha, riiight. Exxagerate much?

What clutch/flywheel setup are you running, by the way?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
You got me, thanks for calling me out on my actions. I used a whole box of tissues crying and complaining in this thread about losing 100rwhp. Ha ha, riiight. Exxagerate much?

What clutch/flywheel setup are you running, by the way?

100% stock 2008 clutch with over 17k on it.

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
100% stock 2008 clutch with over 17k on it.

Then you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about with the new clutch/flywheel. Yet you still feel the need to defend it as if you engineered it :??: That's funny.

Good to hear your clutch is still holding up well with the power you're pushing. Sounds like you got one of the good ones.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Then you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about with the new clutch/flywheel. Yet you still feel the need to defend it as if you engineered it :??: That's funny.

Good to hear your clutch is still holding up well with the power you're pushing. Sounds like you got one of the good ones.

well the fact that I have driven a 2010 2011 an a 2012 gt500 which all have the same clutch flywheel pressure plate an slave as you new setup tells me each of those cars all felt the same with no loss in power from clutch flywheel tells me different that what you say. So go figure.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
So when you get you 373 or 410s an aluminum drive shaft hope that will make you feel fast again.

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
well the fact that I have driven a 2010 2011 an a 2012 gt500 which all have the same clutch flywheel pressure plate an slave as you new setup tells me each of those cars all felt the same with no loss in power from clutch flywheel tells me different that what you say. So go figure.

Aside from the extra 40hp on the 2010 and the 50hp increase and aluminum block saving over 100 pounds on the 11s and 12s. Yeah no difference at all :rollseyes: Not much to figure there.

So when you get you 373 or 410s an aluminum drive shaft hope that will make you feel fast again.

Ha ha, read much? I never said it made the car slow but slowER. It is still fast but I can tell a difference in acceleration. Like the car was heavier :poke: I am looking forward to those mods tho.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Aside from the extra 40hp on the 2010 and the 50hp increase and aluminum block saving over 100 pounds on the 11s and 12s. Yeah no difference at all :rollseyes: Not much to figure there.

Ha ha, read much? I never said it made the car slow but slowER. It is still fast but I can tell a difference in acceleration. Like the car was heavier :poke: I am looking forward to those mods tho.

Hey I'm guessing that extra weight on the 2010 all came from the clutch an flywheel. an that oh so much extra 40hp all came from a simple cai an tune. same thing the KR had which I also drove so a 2009 came with the new heavy flywheel. funny part is it felt the exact same as my 2008 with the same 373 an KR cai tune. so I guess I was lucky then my car :burnout: still has the stock clutch.

johnjon87

Established Member
Im in the same boat as you, again! Ive already went through my stock clutch bought an rst mcleod twin disc then decided to go with a kb like 8 months later. last november i put the kb on and ive driven the car maybe 20 times since then? now the rst is fried and i have to get a clutch rated to at least 1000 hp ! its definitely ab!tCh but it has to be done... A good way to see if it is fried is try to stall the car and if it doesn't kick, you know the clutch is slipping... also if you're flywheel is warped u should have a hard time shifting into reverse.. and 1st.. Ive taken my car through Georgetown a few times and i feel like that's what does the most damage that and the stupid parades... somtimes the clutch gets so hot you have to turn the car off to get it out of gear.. anyways goodluck with the issue im sure youll be back to normal soon.. just remember when you get the new one try to do shift down and not to hold the clutch down at lights...

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
Damn dude, that blows. The new 2010+ clutch/flywheel seems to be working well for me so far. I have a feeling the daily driving and DC stop and go traffic I've driven through may have contributed to the premature wear of the clutch. Not to mention I have no idea how the previous owner treated this car. From what I can tell, he was an ass clown that had no business in a GT500. Probably why he traded it in at 5600 miles. I did not however experience any of the issues you mentioned. I don't think my flywheel was warped, just the clutch fried. I've only driven manual transmissions ever since I learned to drive so it was definitely not driver error. Maybe the extra power of the pulley, intake and tune contributed. We'll see how this clutch/flywheel holds up.

Users who are viewing this thread