Spare tire

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
Dose anybody have a spare tire in the trunk well of there gt500? If so what is the biggest tire i can fit in there. Ive got some 17inch stock 06 gt rims i wanna mount a tire on and put in the trunk well. That sealer shit and pump just dose'nt work for me.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Just make sure it clears the brakes first, Id hate to think I had a backup and it not fit.

mullens

Established Member
Let us know what you come up with. Regular GT's come with a doughnut right? That probably won't fit our front brakes but worst case scenario we could move the back tire to the front and but it on the back. I'll be taking a cross-country trip in April with only that tire goo as a spare. I also bought a plug kit, but still not comfortable with the idea of possibly getting towed for a flat tire. Had the same problem with my SRT8.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Just make sure it clears the brakes first, Id hate to think I had a backup and it not fit.

It wouldn't necessarily have to fit over the front brakes, just the rears. Although it would require two tire changes if you had a front tire go flat. :idea:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
That sealer kit isn't the same old fix-a-flat junk, it's a good kit. I have a similar kit I purchased for another car.

mullens

Established Member
It wouldn't necessarily have to fit over the front brakes, just the rears. Although it would require two tire changes if you had a front tire go flat. :idea:
And you'd have to load a jack and tire iron. The simplest way would be just to buy the whole screw jack/doughnut from the GT if it fits the rear.

Last edited:

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
that sealer kit isn't the same old fix-a-flat junk, it's a good kit. I have a similar kit i purchased for another car.

the sealer kit did'nt help me i had a 1/2inch cut in the side wall. Luckly i had AAA towing. I got a quote from dicount tire for just one oem rear tire they said $415.00. Ill keep you guys posted on what i get for a spare. I want something that will fit in the trunk well and clear the brakes.

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
and you'd have to load a jack and tire iron. The simplest way would be just to buy the whole screw jack/doughnut from the gt if it fits the rear.

ya, your right my wife has an 06gt ill try her doughnut first. Then ill try to find the whole jack/doughnut set up. I have her orginal 17' rims ill try to see if those work first. Then mount a tire on it and find a jack.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
the sealer kit did'nt help me i had a 1/2inch cut in the side wall. Luckly i had AAA towing. I got a quote from dicount tire for just one oem rear tire they said $415.00. Ill keep you guys posted on what i get for a spare. I want something that will fit in the trunk well and clear the brakes.
Good point. I picked up a like-new rim with sensors for under $100...might have to find a tire to throw on it and put it in the trunk for long trips.

mullens

Established Member
ya, your right my wife has an 06gt ill try her doughnut first. Then ill try to find the whole jack/doughnut set up. I have her orginal 17' rims ill try to see if those work first. Then mount a tire on it and find a jack.
That would be great if that set-up fit the rear. I'd much rather pack a doughnut set-up that will fit in the well rather than a full size spare. As it is there's no trunk space and I ain't putting my luggage on the roof.

Last edited:

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
that would be great if that set-up fit the rear. I'd much rather pack a doughnut set-up that will fit in the well rather than a full size spare. As it it there's no trunk space and i ain't putting my luggage on the roof.

ya i want something that fits under the trunk mat. I hope her old stockers will do the trick.

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
i did this to my other car as well. No worries here.

I'd rather call in a flat bed then switch front/rear tires..thats just me

ya but you have to tow it directly to the tire place. Because you don't have any tire to drive on while you fix or buy a new tire. I mean i have another car but right now my shelby is on a jack stand at my house and the flat tire is in the hatch of my other car. And that particular tire is on national back order.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
you can buy a complete set of take-off rims and tires for $1K :)

6-Speed

Established Member
I started compiling the parts needed to install a spare tire in the trunk. I purchased a factory jack along with all the stock Mustang mounting hardware and tool pouch.

Here are the part numbers and price I paid in case anyone is interested:

Jack Assy: 4R3Z17080AA ($24.89)
Plate: E9SZ-1424-A ($5.47)
Bolt (Wing Nut): E6DZ-1462-A ($3.90)
Bolt (Long Hook): W710349-S437 ($1.18)
Bolt (Short Hook): W711555-S437 ($7.08 for 4, but only 1 needed)
Tool Roll: 7R3Z-17005-A ($12.98)

I found that the 3/8" breaker bar from Harbor Frieght Tools fits well in the tool pouch - you just need a 13/16" deep socket to go along with it; beats the factory lug nut wrench. Now I am looking for a space-saver spare tire from a 2005 Mustang GT.

Spare_HW.jpg
Tool_Roll.jpg

Last edited:

6-Speed

Established Member
Good info. Did you price the doughnut spare new?
If I recall, a new wheel alone was more expensive than a regular Mustang wheel, plus I don't believe the space saver tires are available anymore. I tried bidding for a 2005 Mustang GT space-saver spare on ebay but was out-bid at $90.

Users who are viewing this thread